Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Battlefield 3 Massive Stuttering

Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 30, 2011 9:29:42 PM

Hey guys I need help. I have a GTX 570, but its Gigabyte with 3 turbo lift fans. I am playing it on ultra, 1920X1200 resolution, and 4XAA. I get a constant 30-45 fps...perfectly playable. I get massive spikes also, where it drops to like 3 fps, totally freezes, then goes back to normal. I have ruled out over heating, since it maxes at 67C. I have latest driver also.

My specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo OC 3.4ghz
4 GB ddr2 800mghz
Xfi Fitali1ty Xtreme Gamer Edition sound card
1 TB HDD 7200 RPM
GTX 570

I did some console commands in game to show fps and a cpu graphics card chart. Here are screenshots of the game.






If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please let me know. Maybe they just need to get more patches out, both nvidia and BF3.

Thanks
October 30, 2011 9:37:37 PM

Yea, almost the same system as mine. My e8400 c2d is at 3.6 though. Turn MSAA down to 2x. Ive noticed this killes the stutter, 99% of it. I think this card and CPU combo just cant handle the 4xMSAA.

Also, get MSI afterburner and try to OC that 570 a bit, mine OC'd quite nicely.



If turning MSAA down to 2x does not help, do a complete sweep of your old drivers with a driver cleaner program, than reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers. I did this as well. So clean drivers + 2xMSAA should net you solid rates over 30FPS constant.


PS. I should mention im also playing at 1920x1080
m
0
l
October 30, 2011 10:22:14 PM

Yeah i use MSI Afterburner to monitor temps and fan speeds. It is already factory oc'd, but then again it does have 3 fans so...

I will try turning down AA, you can't really see a massive difference anyway. Thanks for quick reply.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 31, 2011 12:07:50 AM

I play at 1080P as well with a lightly OCed GTX580. I run with Ultra detail and a few others on Ultra, but mostly High settings. No AA. AA kills the frames in this game. Turn it off or set your video settings to Auto. The Auto setting seems to be really good at finding the right settings to run 60FPS. I allowed it to do this it turned everything on High except details to Ultra. I've been slowly changing one item at a time to Ultra from High. As soon as I touch Deffered AA, it gives inconsistent frame rates. Turn AA Post on High.
m
0
l
October 31, 2011 1:51:24 AM

Turned AA to off, now I get 60 fps constant with massive stuttering that go down to 1 still....WTC
m
0
l
October 31, 2011 2:06:27 AM

what are your other settings? Try Auto. and turn Vsync on.
m
0
l
October 31, 2011 3:12:02 AM

same experience here. I run i5-750, hd 5850 CF. ill get 80 frames on high settings then it drops to 2 frames periodically. when i run a single card, everything plays fine.
m
0
l
October 31, 2011 3:15:49 AM

CF issues are usually driver related
m
0
l
October 31, 2011 3:22:08 AM

there is some issue with the AA... if you notice there is 2 settings for it... set it to x2 or x4 if you like but turn the second 1 down to either low or medium... i can average 60 fps on ultra with these 2 settings turned down... a 580 should run on ultra with no issues. but because the drivers aint quite rite you may have to turn down some of the AA settings like i did.

as for pairing a 570 with an e series core 2 duo, thats just madness... you will be lucky if you can use 50% of your gpu power as the frostbite engine needs 4 cores... three for processing and 1 for havock physics
m
0
l
October 31, 2011 3:59:21 AM

Well I played for a while longer with no AA and didn't have a single stutter. So I am thinking it must have something to do with AA, if I get any more stuttering in the future I will try that second AA option.

So 60 fps on everything ultra on my system is madness? I haven't had a single issue with this processor, and will not get an I7 until I absolutely need it. Look at those graphs, my processor is not bottle necking my graphics card at all.
m
0
l
October 31, 2011 3:59:49 PM

BF3 doesn't see any huge gains from a dual core to 3 or 4 cores. However, that is based off an i7 and FX-8150) The FX did show a slight FPS drove on dual cores, no change with the i7. I wouldn't expect much different from the core 2 line. Bad Company 2 ran better on a quad core and usually hammered a dual core. I wouldn't worry about your chip just yet, at least with BF3.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
m
0
l
October 31, 2011 7:13:16 PM

im having the exact same issue like you "pleasehelp" ... i really did try everything i could think of. i underclocked and overclocked my gpu and cpu (there for ram), i checked the temps, i updated the bios of my gpu and my motherboard, i updated every driver i could think of, i defragmentated my hdd, i tried every videosetting preset from low to ultra to custom settings. i tried turning off AA, which finally seems to helped at least a little bit, but i still have no fun playing bf3 because of these extremely annoying lag spikes (fps drops). the problem i have does appear in singleplayer / coop and in multiplayer mode.

my system:
- intel core 2 duo e8500 @ 4gHz
- 4gb aeneon ram @ 1066 mHZ
- gigabyte 1024mb 560 ti overclocked edition
- hitachi 1 tb hdd
- asus p5k se-epu mainboard
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 2:28:21 PM

C2D is simply too weak to handle BF3. I can confirm a 570 can handle Ultra just fine [though I wouldn't go above 2x AA unless you have >1.5GB VRAM].
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 3:00:33 PM

Why are people posting on my thread with irrelevant and misinformed information regarding my core 2 duo. Obviously if it was the problem, I wouldn't be getting the mostly constant fps I am getting. Please troll somewhere else.
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 3:02:37 PM

Also read the graphs....CPU is not the problem.
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 3:14:25 PM

Well, did you check if the CPU is at full load while you play the game?
It may not be the CPU, but the clock speeds at 3.4GHz doesn't seem enough for a 570. I'm not trying to 'add any misinformed info' into this thread, but I just want to see if it truly is the problem. :) 

And the game's recommend requirements does say that it requires a 4 core proccy.

Also, does any other game, have this occasional dip?
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 3:26:19 PM

Someone on here. just went from dual core to quad on a weak card and their frame rate became a lot smoother, he was worrying about bottlenecking his card (4770?)

Get a cheap 775 quad... it will probably help.
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 4:56:01 PM

mrmaffen said:
im having the exact same issue like you "pleasehelp" ... i really did try everything i could think of. i underclocked and overclocked my gpu and cpu (there for ram), i checked the temps, i updated the bios of my gpu and my motherboard, i updated every driver i could think of, i defragmentated my hdd, i tried every videosetting preset from low to ultra to custom settings. i tried turning off AA, which finally seems to helped at least a little bit, but i still have no fun playing bf3 because of these extremely annoying lag spikes (fps drops). the problem i have does appear in singleplayer / coop and in multiplayer mode.

my system:
- intel core 2 duo e8500 @ 4gHz
- 4gb aeneon ram @ 1066 mHZ
- gigabyte 1024mb 560 ti overclocked edition
- hitachi 1 tb hdd
- asus p5k se-epu mainboard



Have you downloaded the new Nvidia Drivers? They released them Monday last week. I had stuttering issues on my GTX580 and this helped. I turn off AA Deffered, and set AA Post to High. Did you try the Auto setting? I would assume you could run graphics on High, not Ultra. I can only run a few settings on Ultra, the rest high.
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 4:59:29 PM

pleasehelp said:
Why are people posting on my thread with irrelevant and misinformed information regarding my core 2 duo. Obviously if it was the problem, I wouldn't be getting the mostly constant fps I am getting. Please troll somewhere else.

Because not everyone knows better. Looking over the Tom's hardware review it does confirm a dual core cpu can handle BF3 just fine and not really take any sort of performance hit. I myself am surprised you can run Ultra settings at 1920x1200 with a GTX570. i would think you would be on the High settings. Unless you tweaked some other items. I'm sure there is still some improvements to be had with both Nvidia and AMD cards with BF3. Also, AA Differed seems to really hit the frames hard on any single gpu system. AA Post seems to work just fine with minimal performance hit.
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 8:12:31 PM

yeah i did upgrade my graphics driver ... i did that even before i installed bf3 ^^. and youre partly right, when you say i cant run bf3 on ultra settings ... actually its working with fps averaging at 25. but i guess to say something really works you would have an average fps of 40 or above.

i now found out that the problem itself has something to do with my audio card " "asus xonar d1". when im removing it from my pc, the problem with the random fps drops is mostly gone. it still happens from time to time, but i guess it is playable until ea/dice finally releases a fix ^^
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 8:55:35 PM

My system is somewhat different from yours but I have also experienced significant stutter issues in BF3 - now resolved. My average framerate is perfect, but occasionally, the framerate would drop catastrophically.

First of all, my system is a core i7 920 o/c to 4GHz, with a pair of GTX 560 Ti running in SLI and 6GB of ram. I run at 1920x1080 and in ultra quality.

Sudden stutter is usually due to a memory bottleneck somewhere - ie a need to flush the memory and load it with new data faster than your system can. It is most probably NOT due to your processor, (which was my original guess), because an underpowered CPU shows itself up in low average framerates.

The task then, is to identify what is causing the memory bottleneck. AA is highly memory intensive, and unsurprisingly, I found that dropping it to 2x from 4x makes an enormous difference to the stutter problem, without making much difference to image quality.

A second thing that I found helped was closing down all unnecessary background processes. These increase the likelihood that the game will use the swapfile - something that will definitely cause the game to stall. Before I fire up BF3, I always close down unnecessary processes. It's a pain but it does make a tangible difference.
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 9:14:08 PM

bwrlane said:
My system is somewhat different from yours but I have also experienced significant stutter issues in BF3 - now resolved. My average framerate is perfect, but occasionally, the framerate would drop catastrophically.

First of all, my system is a core i7 920 o/c to 4GHz, with a pair of GTX 560 Ti running in SLI and 6GB of ram. I run at 1920x1080 and in ultra quality.

Sudden stutter is usually due to a memory bottleneck somewhere - ie a need to flush the memory and load it with new data faster than your system can. It is most probably NOT due to your processor, (which was my original guess), because an underpowered CPU shows itself up in low average framerates.

The task then, is to identify what is causing the memory bottleneck. AA is highly memory intensive, and unsurprisingly, I found that dropping it to 2x from 4x makes an enormous difference to the stutter problem, without making much difference to image quality.

A second thing that I found helped was closing down all unnecessary background processes. These increase the likelihood that the game will use the swapfile - something that will definitely cause the game to stall. Before I fire up BF3, I always close down unnecessary processes. It's a pain but it does make a tangible difference.


thanks for your reply. i will try closing background processes before starting bf3. im also guessing that my memory is filling up, forcing bf3 to swap, which then results in sudden fps drops. but im guessing bf3 is somewhat buggy in that regard. some memory leak issue.

trying your workaround... will report back :) 
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 10:36:55 PM

SOURCE: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/battlefield-3-nvidia-owne...

UPDATE:

We just got word from Nvidia’s ManuelG. Apparently the corrupted shadows are due to the game’s current build while the stuttering will be fixed via an updated GPU driver. We should also note that the game is not working properly with 3D Vision right now – a patch is expected to add proper 3D support:


“The corrupted shadows were apparently fixed by Dice in build 862168 of BF3. On second thought, the shadow bug you are seeing is actually a different issue from the one I thought was fixed by Dice. Our driver team is currently looking into this issue. As for the stuttering, I have already filed a bug on that.”
m
0
l
November 11, 2011 3:02:04 PM

That beta driver seems bigger than usual drivers from NVIDIA.
m
0
l
November 14, 2011 11:11:44 PM

the new beta driver didnt solve any of my problems with the game ...

nevertheless i finally found the ultimate solution for all of my problems ... i downgraded my nvidia graphics driver to version 275.33... i totally got rid of the framedropping and im playing on ultra with 2x aa now .. absolutely awesome :) 

finally i got it! hope that helps guys .. try it out ... 275.33 is the key (at least for me)

my system spec:

win 7 64 bit
4gb ram
intel core 2 duo e8500 @ 3,9ghz
gigabyte gtx 560ti 1024mb OCed to 950/2240 @1,112V (latest bios)
asus xonar d1 audio card (latest bios and drivers)
asus p5k se / epu motherboard (latest bios and drivers)
m
0
l
December 5, 2011 2:03:40 AM

I am running an i7 2600k stock with a hd 6950 and experiencing micro stuttering from low-ultra settings and have not found a solution also so im assuming its just sitting and waiting for drivers from both Nvidia and ati
m
0
l
December 7, 2011 6:15:59 AM

Quote:
I am running an i7 2600k stock with a hd 6950 and experiencing micro stuttering from low-ultra settings and have not found a solution also so im assuming its just sitting and waiting for drivers from both Nvidia and ati


I'm running a 5970 and awating word on new drivers as well. Sigh. I actually waited a month before buying Battlefield 3 to give them time to patch-up the game. Guess I should've waited 6 months.
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 3:11:13 AM

mrmaffen said:
im having the exact same issue like you "pleasehelp" ... i really did try everything i could think of. i underclocked and overclocked my gpu and cpu (there for ram), i checked the temps, i updated the bios of my gpu and my motherboard, i updated every driver i could think of, i defragmentated my hdd, i tried every videosetting preset from low to ultra to custom settings. i tried turning off AA, which finally seems to helped at least a little bit, but i still have no fun playing bf3 because of these extremely annoying lag spikes (fps drops). the problem i have does appear in singleplayer / coop and in multiplayer mode.

my system:
- intel core 2 duo e8500 @ 4gHz
- 4gb aeneon ram @ 1066 mHZ
- gigabyte 1024mb 560 ti overclocked edition
- hitachi 1 tb hdd
- asus p5k se-epu mainboard


_____

It just blew my mind to see you guys troubleshooting an issue that I am also having. Identical to as described above. The only crazy part is that I'm on an AMD setup. Here's my specs, done latest drivers, overclocked, underclocked, mobo updates, defragging my hard drive, closing all background processes, reinstalling the game, installing the game to another hard drive., but still the same issue across several game retail updates and driver releases from ATI (even preview drivers).

Maybe not a driver specific issue? Maybe something with the game? It's pretty much been consistent since launch day for me on this one.

My System:
- AMD Phenom II 1090t x6 @ 4ghz (stock 3.2 which has the same issue)
- 4gb Patriot Sector 5 1600mhz (dual channel)
- 1tb HDD 7200rpm
- ASUS AMD HD5870 1gb 850hz/1300hmz
- Asus Crosshair Formula IV
m
0
l
!