Sign in with
Your question

Scary games for halloween

Last response: in Video Games
October 31, 2011 2:45:30 AM

Ok so basically i need a scary game... and i mean a really scary game... one that will make me have to have numerous changes of drawers with each play. And i don't scare easy so that's a pretty tall order... looked at Amnesia but that doesn't really look all that great to me (though i know it's supposed to be the scariest game ever, so i hear) any other suggestions? Playing Left 4 Dead 2 with a friend right now... but that's not really a horror game imo, just got Resident Evil 5... so we'll see how that one is... other then those games any suggestions?

More about : scary games halloween

October 31, 2011 6:25:59 AM

Metro 2033 or Amnesia are probably your best bets. Only certain parts of Metro 2033 are scary however.
m
l
October 31, 2011 9:24:37 AM

Metro 2033 is a really great game but its not scary.

Resident evil 5 is not scary, its not evan Resident Evil anymore, just some poor 3rd person game were you shoot black people. Try the old ones Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3 are the best. Resident Evil 4 is ok, a lot better then 5 but its still not a resi game.

Amnesia the dark descent is what you want though

its in the steam sale only £2.60 so you might aswell get it
http://store.steampowered.com/app/57300/
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2011 12:40:53 PM

Yeah, Amnesia The Dark Descent is the best bet right now; great atmosphere, nice graphics, and outstanding soundtrack. I am playing it right now, and it's a scare. A real one.

Advice: buy it. Now! :) 
m
l
October 31, 2011 3:19:06 PM

Ok i went ahead and bought Amnesia... it was only $4 so i guess that's not much of a waste even if i don't end up liking it lol
m
l
October 31, 2011 4:27:47 PM

My buddy played Dead Space 2 and had to keep the lights on with someone in the room. Either he is a weenie or it really is scary. I remember playing Doom 3 and I felt that way. Doom 3 goes back quite a few years ago though.
m
l
October 31, 2011 4:29:31 PM

jay2tall said:
My buddy played Dead Space 2 and had to keep the lights on with someone in the room. Either he is a weenie or it really is scary. I remember playing Doom 3 and I felt that way. Doom 3 goes back quite a few years ago though.

I really had high hopes for Dead Space when it was released, but the horrid control killed it for me; until this day I never bought Dead Space 2... Too bad, as I love a good survival horror.
m
l
October 31, 2011 4:34:40 PM

Over the shoulder 3rd person survial horrors just don't work.
m
l
October 31, 2011 4:38:33 PM

I never played it, just watched for a little while. How about FEAR 2? I remember playing the demo and at a point I jumped quite a bit. It was a little while back as well.
m
l
October 31, 2011 4:50:10 PM

The last game i remember scaring me shitless was Silent Hill 1 & 2 lol i remember i was like 12 years old at a friends house, in the basement with no lights except the TV watching him play it lol i didn't sleep too well that night lol didn't help that his basement was old and creepy
m
l
October 31, 2011 4:58:32 PM

I only played F.E.A.R. and I loved every second of that game, but never went to play the sequels for fear (sic) I'd be disappointed.

Silent Hill... indeed, that's a scary franchise, well done, not all of them, but pretty weird horror, so out of this world.
m
l
October 31, 2011 5:56:19 PM

Try Dead Island, it's pretty scary.
m
l
October 31, 2011 6:22:40 PM

Resident Evil 1 Gamecube remake...best horror game ever made.
m
l
October 31, 2011 6:23:01 PM

st4rkill3r said:

You gotta be joking
m
l
October 31, 2011 6:24:26 PM

st4rkill3r said:

there are occasional jumps here and there when a zombie sneaks up behind you huffing and puffing, but then you kill them... and life goes on in the jungle paradise
m
l
October 31, 2011 7:32:20 PM

jay2tall said:

I couldn't get into Dead Space 1. I tried it on a friend's computer so I am glad I didn't spend any money on it. I barely played the first level of it. I didn't really like the feel of the controls and I am not a big fan 3rd person shooters. However, I did play Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect series.

Doom 3 was may scary for the 1st hour or so. It just took some time to get used to the atmosphere. The only time I kinda jumped was when a cacodaemon (or whatever they were called) was crouched behind a door and jumped at me when I opened it. After the 1st time I was never caught off guard again.
m
l
October 31, 2011 11:21:39 PM

If your going to play amnesia please please use headphones, it really helped my constipation.
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:28:20 PM

Yeah it would definitely be a good constipation fix.

Note to self: Don't play Amnesia when there is a cat in the room that likes to ambush feet during real tense moments.
m
l
November 1, 2011 1:27:05 PM

Amnesia is a creepy game. I got stuck on one part and quit playing it, but the game itself has all the right ingredients to make your hair stand up on end. And its not like you can blast whatever is after you either so you are the prey without any form of defense.
m
l
November 1, 2011 1:38:23 PM

I would suggest few:

F.E.A.R.
Pathologic
System Shock 2
m
l
November 1, 2011 1:53:42 PM

I would also suggest an older game even... Sanitarium. Anyone still remembers it?
m
l
November 1, 2011 1:59:38 PM

Eldd said:
I would also suggest an older game even... Sanitarium. Anyone still remembers it?

Excellent voice acting
m
l
November 1, 2011 2:05:01 PM

FEAR - shock set pieces and pretty screwed up story
Bioshock - a rather creepy when you first play it
STALKER SoC - certain parts
Doom 3 - some nice shock sections

TBH the only game I've actually though "holy s*** this is scary" was Silent Hill 3.
I got sucked into the story, character and the atmosphere.
m
l
November 1, 2011 2:36:29 PM

FEAR is scary... Silent hill scary as ***, and nice story also, metro 2033 scary.... FIFA 12 scary when the glitch happens lol
m
l
November 1, 2011 3:26:14 PM

Eldd said:
I really had high hopes for Dead Space when it was released, but the horrid control killed it for me; until this day I never bought Dead Space 2... Too bad, as I love a good survival horror.

Same here. I played the first few levels, but the controls were horrid. Damn console ports.

I played Amnesia last year. It's a great game. Just be sure to keep the lights low/out (preferably at night). I think the only failing of this game is once you "die" once or twice, the level of fear becomes less.
m
l
November 1, 2011 3:44:53 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
I think the only failing of this game is once you "die" once or twice, the level of fear becomes less.

Obviously.

We fear the unknown, once we get used to something its not scary anymore.
m
l
November 1, 2011 3:53:57 PM

Get Amnesia The Dark Descent !!!
I have it and i cant get past the first bit of the Wine Cellar because im scared to get out of the room after picking up a piece of drill and behind the door i hear a growl and footsteps....(creepy)
Or get Penumbra Series (Especially the Overture)
They are made by same developers Frictional Games.
Dead Space 2 isn't scare for me (3rd person view) but give it a try..:D 
m
l
November 1, 2011 4:41:50 PM

the penumbra games are excellent; i preferred black plague to overture
m
l
November 1, 2011 5:22:01 PM

I know Black Plague is a bit more scarier with the infected.
But im just into a bit of throwing dynamites around the place....(you know) :bounce: 
m
l
November 1, 2011 5:33:23 PM

I was thinking about buying Penumbra when I was buying Amnesia, should of gone for it as the Steam sales finished now, ah well.
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:31:01 AM

The stalker series has a few shock moment in it, especially when you stand in a dark room and then all the objects start to be thrown at you.
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:51:31 AM

another older game that I remember being quit scary was Clive Barker's Undying.
m
l
November 3, 2011 2:43:55 AM

been playing Amnesia and it deffinately has it's "damn i gotta change my pants again" moments lol but it's not as scary as i was hoping... I think I'm just harder to scare then I thought... Oh well, going to one of the scariest haunted houses in the country saturday, if i don't get scared there then i give up :-P What I need I think is an actual haunted house to stay the night in haha
m
l
November 4, 2011 3:01:09 PM

Ohh yeah Clive Barkers Undying was great :) 
He also made a Clive Barkers Jericho which is one of the most brutal games ive ever played :D 
Its scary and frightening at some bits but it takes away most of the Horror because you have always team mates who are ready to go first :D 
m
l
!