Minimising XP file size on c: drive ?

Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of disk space that XP is
taking up on my c: drive? It is running at over 3gb I have little or no other
programs installed on that drive and am wondering if there are any useless
windows files hiding somewhere taking up rather a large amount of space. I
have now run out of space on that drive so I need to do something soon. I
have XP with SP2 running.

Hi

If you don't use Hibernate, that can be disabled to free up disk space equal
to the amount of RAM your system has:

Control Panel>Power Options - click on the Hibernate tab and disable it.
The disk space will be released immediately.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of disk space that XP is
> taking up on my c: drive? It is running at over 3gb I have little or no
> other
> programs installed on that drive and am wondering if there are any useless
> windows files hiding somewhere taking up rather a large amount of space. I
> have now run out of space on that drive so I need to do something soon. I
> have XP with SP2 running.

Hi,

Thanks, that will save 1gb but I do like that feature. I was hoping there
was some hidden stuff that XP is hanging on to for no reason that I could
remove also.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If you don't use Hibernate, that can be disabled to free up disk space equal
> to the amount of RAM your system has:
>
> Control Panel>Power Options - click on the Hibernate tab and disable it.
> The disk space will be released immediately.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of disk space that XP is
> > taking up on my c: drive? It is running at over 3gb I have little or no
> > other
> > programs installed on that drive and am wondering if there are any useless
> > windows files hiding somewhere taking up rather a large amount of space. I
> > have now run out of space on that drive so I need to do something soon. I
> > have XP with SP2 running.

Ross

You need to get a larger drive.. expecting XP to sit happily on a drive that
was only really suitable for an older and much less capable operating system
is essentially stupidity..

Mike Hall

"RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of disk space that XP is
> taking up on my c: drive? It is running at over 3gb I have little or no
> other
> programs installed on that drive and am wondering if there are any useless
> windows files hiding somewhere taking up rather a large amount of space. I
> have now run out of space on that drive so I need to do something soon. I
> have XP with SP2 running.

Hi

Hiberate is most usefully used on a laptop. I've never used it on any of my
PCs. 3 GBs would be about right for an XP install if Hibernate is enabled.

--

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, that will save 1gb but I do like that feature. I was hoping there
> was some hidden stuff that XP is hanging on to for no reason that I could
> remove also.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> If you don't use Hibernate, that can be disabled to free up disk space
>> equal
>> to the amount of RAM your system has:
>>
>> Control Panel>Power Options - click on the Hibernate tab and disable it.
>> The disk space will be released immediately.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of disk space that XP
>> > is
>> > taking up on my c: drive? It is running at over 3gb I have little or no
>> > other
>> > programs installed on that drive and am wondering if there are any
>> > useless
>> > windows files hiding somewhere taking up rather a large amount of
>> > space. I
>> > have now run out of space on that drive so I need to do something soon.
>> > have XP with SP2 running.

Well its the first thing to go tonight whne I get home. followed by the
recovery console. 3+gb seems far too much for xp to need. i would have though
1gb too much!

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Hiberate is most usefully used on a laptop. I've never used it on any of my
> PCs. 3 GBs would be about right for an XP install if Hibernate is enabled.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks, that will save 1gb but I do like that feature. I was hoping there
> > was some hidden stuff that XP is hanging on to for no reason that I could
> > remove also.
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> If you don't use Hibernate, that can be disabled to free up disk space
> >> equal
> >> to the amount of RAM your system has:
> >>
> >> Control Panel>Power Options - click on the Hibernate tab and disable it.
> >> The disk space will be released immediately.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi

A 'normal' install of XP takes up about 1.5 GBs + the hibernate file + the
pagefile.sys file. You may be able to reduce the latter a little bit, but
perhaps by not very much. Have a look at the following article by Alex
Nichol:

"Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php