Minimising XP file size on c: drive ?

Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of disk space that XP is
taking up on my c: drive? It is running at over 3gb I have little or no other
programs installed on that drive and am wondering if there are any useless
windows files hiding somewhere taking up rather a large amount of space. I
have now run out of space on that drive so I need to do something soon. I
have XP with SP2 running.
6 answers Last reply
More about minimising file size drive

    Hi

    If you don't use Hibernate, that can be disabled to free up disk space equal
    to the amount of RAM your system has:

    Control Panel>Power Options - click on the Hibernate tab and disable it.
    The disk space will be released immediately.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of disk space that XP is
    > taking up on my c: drive? It is running at over 3gb I have little or no
    > other
    > programs installed on that drive and am wondering if there are any useless
    > windows files hiding somewhere taking up rather a large amount of space. I
    > have now run out of space on that drive so I need to do something soon. I
    > have XP with SP2 running.

    Hi,

    Thanks, that will save 1gb but I do like that feature. I was hoping there
    was some hidden stuff that XP is hanging on to for no reason that I could
    remove also.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > If you don't use Hibernate, that can be disabled to free up disk space equal
    > to the amount of RAM your system has:
    >
    > Control Panel>Power Options - click on the Hibernate tab and disable it.
    > The disk space will be released immediately.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of disk space that XP is
    > > taking up on my c: drive? It is running at over 3gb I have little or no
    > > other
    > > programs installed on that drive and am wondering if there are any useless
    > > windows files hiding somewhere taking up rather a large amount of space. I
    > > have now run out of space on that drive so I need to do something soon. I
    > > have XP with SP2 running.

    Ross

    You need to get a larger drive.. expecting XP to sit happily on a drive that
    was only really suitable for an older and much less capable operating system
    is essentially stupidity..

    Mike Hall

    "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of disk space that XP is
    > taking up on my c: drive? It is running at over 3gb I have little or no
    > other
    > programs installed on that drive and am wondering if there are any useless
    > windows files hiding somewhere taking up rather a large amount of space. I
    > have now run out of space on that drive so I need to do something soon. I
    > have XP with SP2 running.

    Hi

    Hiberate is most usefully used on a laptop. I've never used it on any of my
    PCs. 3 GBs would be about right for an XP install if Hibernate is enabled.

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks, that will save 1gb but I do like that feature. I was hoping there
    > was some hidden stuff that XP is hanging on to for no reason that I could
    > remove also.
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> If you don't use Hibernate, that can be disabled to free up disk space
    >> equal
    >> to the amount of RAM your system has:
    >>
    >> Control Panel>Power Options - click on the Hibernate tab and disable it.
    >> The disk space will be released immediately.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of disk space that XP
    >> > is
    >> > taking up on my c: drive? It is running at over 3gb I have little or no
    >> > other
    >> > programs installed on that drive and am wondering if there are any
    >> > useless
    >> > windows files hiding somewhere taking up rather a large amount of
    >> > space. I
    >> > have now run out of space on that drive so I need to do something soon.
    >> > have XP with SP2 running.

    Well its the first thing to go tonight whne I get home. followed by the
    recovery console. 3+gb seems far too much for xp to need. i would have though
    1gb too much!

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Hiberate is most usefully used on a laptop. I've never used it on any of my
    > PCs. 3 GBs would be about right for an XP install if Hibernate is enabled.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Thanks, that will save 1gb but I do like that feature. I was hoping there
    > > was some hidden stuff that XP is hanging on to for no reason that I could
    > > remove also.
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> If you don't use Hibernate, that can be disabled to free up disk space
    > >> equal
    > >> to the amount of RAM your system has:
    > >>
    > >> Control Panel>Power Options - click on the Hibernate tab and disable it.
    > >> The disk space will be released immediately.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi

    A 'normal' install of XP takes up about 1.5 GBs + the hibernate file + the
    pagefile.sys file. You may be able to reduce the latter a little bit, but
    perhaps by not very much. Have a look at the following article by Alex
    Nichol:

    "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    --

    > Well its the first thing to go tonight whne I get home. followed by the
    > recovery console. 3+gb seems far too much for xp to need. i would have
    > though
    > 1gb too much!
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Hiberate is most usefully used on a laptop. I've never used it on any of
    >> my
    >> PCs. 3 GBs would be about right for an XP install if Hibernate is
    >> enabled.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "RossB" <RossB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Thanks, that will save 1gb but I do like that feature. I was hoping
    >> > there
    >> > was some hidden stuff that XP is hanging on to for no reason that I
    >> > could
    >> > remove also.

File Size Windows XP