HOLY BUHJEEPERS WHY WHY WHY INTEGRATED SOUND?!!!!

G

I'm VERY excited about getting a new ddr mobo sporting the latest and greatest VIA-KT266A Chipset.. But Why OH WHY! does every singlr one of these new boards have integrated sound ... I HATE INTGRATED ANYTHING!!! After researching exstensivly for all the latest boards scheduled to arrive anytime soon
http://www.via.com.tw/jsp/en/products/apollo/ddrmobo.jsp

I AM DISGUSTED~!!! I think we need to have a world wide rally to push one of these mobo makers into putting out a nice clean ddr board without integrated sound ... It seems such a waste next to a nice spiffy and luxurious front paneled featured SB platinum or Audigy card...

WTF! cant these people just let us do what we want?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i used to be like you, but then i realized that you can just disable the onboard stuff, and use the card of your choice...
and when it is disabled, it isnt going to steal precious juice..it will just sit there, doing NADA!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

hmm....

perhaps I will get a hacksaw and just VIOLENTLY remove that stuff.. yes yes of course you can disable it.. I feel reassured that youve let me know that it will not draw any of my precious juices *thanks*

Its the principal though.. hence all the WHY WHY WHY's I still have to allow for it to fit into muh case .. *sigh* Im gonna wait and see what comes out in the next month anyway...

I am a goober.. with just enough knowledge to be dangerous .. .. will you hold this for a sec?

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The grand holy Motherboard makers convention cira 1997 or so, decided to make audio standard on all motherboards, so the El Cheapos of us can build a computer for next to nothing and still have money for software **coughINTELcough**, so's we can be good little consumers of the NEW ORDER.
Actually, I think that it is more there for the OEM boards that are used mainly in manufacturing puters rather than for us builders. (Does anyone know of a percentage of builders vs the premaders?) Veeerrrryy Innteerreeessstiiing.....eh?
Good Luck, Take-Out

God Bless New York

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
theyre easy to disable (well, on more modern boards anyway) and probably add under half a dollar to the cost of making the board. it is very probably more expensive to have some boards without sound chips, as such boards would have to follow a different manufacture process which reduces scale economies plus adds complexity, inventory pains and so on.

anyway its helps people like me buy a better system and get decent sound later :)

what bothers me it the idiots who put graphics on board then dont provide a decent (or any) AGP slot to upgrade later.

Yossarian lives<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DaveGOD on 10/22/01 08:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Worst of that is, they are AC97 codecs! they suck!! its the CPU that does all the work wasting cycles and these bullies just generate the audio out and amplify it.

Probabley its good most of the manufacturers like Asus have turned to putting real sound chips onboard, like the CMedia 8378 on A7A266 and TUSL2-C! These are as good as a external sound cards, just integrated on the board instead of through a PCI slot! Bad thing is you cant coose between cards. You have to buy them and then disble them!

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I hear you all the way. I HATE integrated sound. I know that I can disable it, but then you have a bunch of connectors on the back of your machine that you will NEVER use.

Anyways... the Abit KR7 will have the KT266A with no sound and a RAID chip... :smile:

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>