Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why do people often say that Half Life is better than Half Life 2?

Last response: in Video Games
October 31, 2011 5:50:27 AM

Why do people often say that Half Life is better than Half Life 2?

I understand looking at it from the perspective of the era it debuted in; what Half Life brought to the table, the innovation, the entertainment level, etc. Simply put, the original Half Life was/is an amazing game. It no doubt utilized the Quake engine far better than any game before it, arguably even surpassing Id Software's "Quake".

But...

Half Life 2 and the Source engine was revolutionary. From the gravity gun and real time physics calculations, to the Combine, weapons, sound, and AMAZING graphics; every facet of Half Life 2 screamed epic. This was the game that ushered in the current generation of interactive entertainment. This was the game that really opened up PC gaming, blowing everyone away in the process.

For anyone to even remotely insinuate that Half Life is superior to it's sequel is indicative of a severe lack of gamer appreciation.

I am old enough to remember both games well. I have played both games. Half Life, was an absolute blast at the time, but Half Life 2 totally and completely took my world by storm. Half Life 2 is STILL the best first person shooter out there today. Half Life 2 is so good, that it has totally spoiled me from enjoying other shooters. When playing other shooters, I say to myself, "I am playing this (insert shooter), when I could be playing THIS (Half Life 2).

This is not merely a matter of opinion. Anyone with a working pair of eyes can see it.

Half Life 2 far surpasses Half Life.

Thanks.
October 31, 2011 6:07:38 AM

PCgamer81 said:
When playing other shooters, I say to myself, "I am playing this (insert shooter), when I could be playing THIS (Half Life 2).

This is not merely a matter of opinion. Anyone with a working pair of eyes can see it.

Half Life 2 far surpasses Half Life.

Thanks.

There is something wrong with you, clearly. First, you need to downsize. Replace your current rig for a nice Athlon XP 2500+/Radeon 9800 Pro/Nforce 2 Ultra combination. It could take care of all your Half-Life 2 needs. You wont be running Bioshock3 or MW3 on that machine, but hey, who needs to when they got Half-Life 2.

Second, instead of constantly reminding yourself of just how bored the other games are making you, just stop buying them. With my Half-Life 2 Two Step Program, you'll be on your way to Half-Life 2 24/7 glory in no time. My two step program I just told you about, it cost like $30 bucks, so like, whenever you're ready to paypal me the money, lmk, k? You wont need the extra cash to buy moar games anyway, you have Half-Life 2, remember?

Thanks.
October 31, 2011 6:57:19 AM

^Not particularly helpful...

I prefer to take each game on its own merits. Yes, HL2 broke some new ground in the use of physics, and it is one hell of an impressive game in many aspects. Having said that, the original probably had a bigger impact on the world of PC gaming as a whole. Half-Life was the game that almost single-handedly dragged the shooter genre out of the formulaic "Run, shoot, kill boss, find key, go to next level" recipe that was unchanged since the days of Wolfenstein.
Related resources
October 31, 2011 7:10:27 AM

professorprofessorson said:
There is something wrong with you, clearly. First, you need to downsize. Replace your current rig for a nice Athlon XP 2500+/Radeon 9800 Pro/Nforce 2 Ultra combination. It could take care of all your Half-Life 2 needs. You wont be running Bioshock3 or MW3 on that machine, but hey, who needs to when they got Half-Life 2.

Second, instead of constantly reminding yourself of just how bored the other games are making you, just stop buying them. With my Half-Life 2 Two Step Program, you'll be on your way to Half-Life 2 24/7 glory in no time. My two step program I just told you about, it cost like $30 bucks, so like, whenever you're ready to paypal me the money, lmk, k? You wont need the extra cash to buy moar games anyway, you have Half-Life 2, remember?

Thanks.

I do not need to downsize. I get about 150-300 frames a second in Half Life 2, why should I want less?

And I do play other games, as well. Like Metro 2033 and Crysis. I do enjoy the hell out of them. I am sorry if I gave the impression that I don't play other shooters at all. I do play other shooters, but I don't particularly appreciate them to the degree that I do HL2. The wow factor is just not there, anymore. And I must confess that I spend a lot more time playing Half Life 2 than I do any of the other shooters.

For me, it takes a lot to really move me after experiencing Half Life 2. That is what I was trying to convey.

And you totally missed/ignored the point. I am not comparing HL2 to modern shooters, but rather explaining why I think HF2 is far better than HL.
October 31, 2011 7:12:42 AM

Herr_Koos said:
^Not particularly helpful...

I prefer to take each game on its own merits. Yes, HL2 broke some new ground in the use of physics, and it is one hell of an impressive game in many aspects. Having said that, the original probably had a bigger impact on the world of PC gaming as a whole. Half-Life was the game that almost single-handedly dragged the shooter genre out of the formulaic "Run, shoot, kill boss, find key, go to next level" recipe that was unchanged since the days of Wolfenstein.

I can certainly appreciate the impact that Half Life made in the world of video games. I even stated that in my original post.

I think for me, it also comes down the the initial impression I got with both games, followed closely by how both of these games hold up today.
October 31, 2011 7:27:21 AM

HL doesn't hold up well in terms of visuals today, while HL2 is still very pretty for an 8-year old game. I think the main reason for this is that the graphical improvement curve has flattened considerably in recent years. In gameplay terms though, I don't think you can fault HL1 even after all this time.
October 31, 2011 7:43:17 AM

Cause people be hipsters
October 31, 2011 7:46:26 AM

Herr_Koos said:
HL doesn't hold up well in terms of visuals today, while HL2 is still very pretty for an 8-year old game. I think the main reason for this is that the graphical improvement curve has flattened considerably in recent years. In gameplay terms though, I don't think you can fault HL1 even after all this time.

No, Half Life is still a blast to play. I would consider it more of a corridor shooter, while Half Life 2 had the appearance of being more opened ended.

Also, you said that Half Life almost single-handedly dragged the shooter genre out of the traditional "run, shoot, kill boss, find key, etc..." recipe that defined shooters up to that point. I will agree with that. I also believe that Half Life really made it to where a good story was essential to having a good shooter. And if there is one area that I think the original Half Life holds up well in when compared to it's sequel, it is in the story.
October 31, 2011 7:50:03 AM

NoobNeb said:
Cause people be hipsters

I think there is more truth to this statement than most people would care to admit. I think people try to appear sophisticated and thoughtful by going against the mainstream. I am seeing it more and more.
October 31, 2011 9:29:27 AM

professorprofessorson said:

Thanks.

What an idiot.
October 31, 2011 9:31:58 AM

PCgamer81 said:
And you totally missed/ignored the point. I am not comparing HL2 to modern shooters, but rather explaining why I think HF2 is far better than HL.

Don't waste you time reasoning and explaining yourself to an idiot, you'll get no were.

I love both, I have great memorys playing both games when I was younger and I still enjoy playing them now, also they were both very revolutionary for FPS games and revolutionary games will always remain popular to certain people.

And to answer your question, I think a lot of people do like Half Life for the nostalgia.
October 31, 2011 10:28:18 AM

Agreed, nostalgia value is a very powerful motivator. I still play C&C95 from time to time, and it's not for the graphics, let me tell you.
October 31, 2011 10:52:22 AM

Herr_Koos said:
I still play C&C95 from time to time, and it's not for the graphics, let me tell you.

lol, I never played C&C95 but I loved the original Red Alert. Age of Empires has to be the most nostalgic RTS game for me.
October 31, 2011 10:59:19 AM

Gothams Finest said:
lol, I never played C&C95 but I loved the original Red Alert. Age of Empires has to be the most nostalgic RTS game for me.

Too bad. I tend to think the original C&C shaped RTS into what it is today, in much the same way Half-Life redefined the FPS genre. It truly is a brilliant game.
October 31, 2011 11:02:54 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Too bad

No not really seeing as how C&C95 and Red Alert are more or less exactly the same.
October 31, 2011 11:06:07 AM

Gameplay and graphics, yes. Storyline and single-player, no. I love Red Alert, and I had hours of fun with it, but the C&C single player camplaign has something special about it.
October 31, 2011 12:05:56 PM

I've played all of the HL series. Although the graphics and physics in HL2 were awesome for their time (same as HL), HL was one of the first shooters to have an immersive story line. For once, you were killing for a reason other than because they are there. The AI was top notch for that time period (HL) too. I've enjoyed all the games in the series equally, although EP1 and EP2 were a lot shorter than what I was accustomed to.
October 31, 2011 12:09:33 PM

Well, EP1 and 2 were short because they were episodes, not full stand-alone games. I'm still a bit miffed that they never finished EP3, and probably never will now.
October 31, 2011 12:44:21 PM

I understand that EP1 and EP2 were supposed to be part of a larger story, but in terms of HL1 and HL2, they didn't even seem 1/3 as long. These were more like movie shorts than episodes.
October 31, 2011 12:48:02 PM

Fair enough. Valve tried something that clearly didn't work as well as expected. Here's hoping they are actually working on HL3.
October 31, 2011 12:49:07 PM

Half life one was boring and the starting par where we have to travel for around 30 min in that skycar or something like that made me giveup HL1, but HL2 was really good. I don't care about others, i liked HL2 more than HL1.
October 31, 2011 12:52:14 PM

rocky41 said:
Half life one was boring and the starting par where we have to travel for around 30 min in that skycar or something like that made me giveup HL1, but HL2 was really good. I don't care about others, i liked HL2 more than HL1.

Did you ever finish HL1?
October 31, 2011 12:58:20 PM

I played the game about 25% it was good but starting made it much boring for me to tolerate that game. The game was good though but when compared to HL 2 my vote goes for HL 2.
October 31, 2011 12:59:41 PM

Then you missed all the exciting bits....
October 31, 2011 1:01:44 PM

As a matter of fact, when HL 1 was released, that game was so very different, in a good way, from every shooter available at the time, that it's hard to believe people wouldn't like it. But sure, everyone has their own standards; I still liked HL 2 as well, but something from HL 1 approach was lost somewhere on the way, though.
October 31, 2011 1:07:35 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Then you missed all the exciting bits....

Well you are right by the way but i moved on to other games after that so i never missed HL1. HL 2 made me to return to this series and now i am a big fan of HL series ,played all episodes.

C&C was really great and have to again agree with you that original C&C shaped RTS into what it is today. I t was really addicting game and loved it. Even now some time i play it and enjoy it to the most.

October 31, 2011 1:15:16 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Well, EP1 and 2 were short because they were episodes, not full stand-alone games. I'm still a bit miffed that they never finished EP3, and probably never will now.

I keep going back and forth. I've gone from thinking it's coming soon, not at all, coming soon, not at all, two or three times now.

I do think it will come, and I do believe it will be worth the wait. I think Valve may actually be planning a full blown sequel. Just my gut feeling...
October 31, 2011 1:18:25 PM

Gothams Finest said:

For me, AoE2 is where it's at. That is still my preferred RTS to pass away the hours. Well, that and Dawn of War 2: Retribution.
October 31, 2011 1:24:49 PM

rocky41 said:

You know, strangely enough, I kind of liked the long shuttle ride in. To me, that really immerses the player into the role of the scientist, while emphasizing it's just another day at the office; which makes it all the more surreal when things go to hell in the test chambers.

Obviously, I still think Half Life 2 is a lot better.
October 31, 2011 1:28:55 PM

PCgamer81 said:
I keep going back and forth. I've gone from thinking it's coming soon, not at all, coming soon, not at all, two or three times now.

I do think it will come, and I do believe it will be worth the wait. I think Valve may actually be planning a full blown sequel. Just my gut feeling...

I also think the time for EP3 has passed. Rather start from scratch and deliver a completely new game.
October 31, 2011 1:35:08 PM

Herr_Koos said:
I also think the time for EP3 has passed. Rather start from scratch and deliver a completely new game.

It's a shame, too. A lot of gamers have been holding out for that.

I can only imagine the records Half Life 3 will break it's first day out. I can only hope it will be PC exclusive, but sadly, we already know the answer to that one.
October 31, 2011 1:39:44 PM

HL1 was the game that got me and my father into gaming on PC......
HL2 is what made us lose alot of sleep
they are both revolutionary for their time, but there were alot more of the genre when HL2 came out as opposed to the first one. i prefer the 2nd one as i connected to the characters more and liked the narrative throughout the episodes.
HL1 is still worth a playthrough for old times
October 31, 2011 2:11:31 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
HL1 was the game that got me and my father into gaming on PC......
HL2 is what made us lose alot of sleep
they are both revolutionary for their time, but there were alot more of the genre when HL2 came out as opposed to the first one. i prefer the 2nd one as i connected to the characters more and liked the narrative throughout the episodes.
HL1 is still worth a playthrough for old times

Well said.
October 31, 2011 2:32:22 PM

I never played HL1, I wish I did, but at this point, I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I played it.

Quote:
Half Life 2 and the Source engine was revolutionary. From the gravity gun and real time physics calculations, to the Combine, weapons, sound, and AMAZING graphics; every facet of Half Life 2 screamed epic. This was the game that ushered in the current generation of interactive entertainment. This was the game that really opened up PC gaming, blowing everyone away in the process.

I did not feel the same way you did about half life 2, because another game which came out JUST before it was better and more revolutionary at the time; Farcry.

I played Farcry first, which was the first time a FPS took you outdoors in a big real environment with wide open terrain allowing you to complete your missions in many different ways. Farcry was just incredible and remains my favorite 1st person shooter of all time. It also brought destructible environments and physics before HL2 was released. The way stealth worked in that game has never been matched since. I really wish Crysis would have not had the cryosuite, the stealth in Farcry was too good to have dropped.

I played HL2 just a few months later, and all the rat maze like levels and lack of organic life was very underwhelming after playing Farcry. Had HL2 came out first, I might have had better memories, but Farcry would still have overshadowed it.
October 31, 2011 2:35:09 PM

rocky41 said:
Half life one was boring and the starting par where we have to travel for around 30 min in that skycar or something like that made me giveup HL1

You must have the attention span of a small child. You gave up because of a 5 minute intro, thats ridiculous.
October 31, 2011 2:49:04 PM

bystander said:
I never played HL1, I wish I did, but at this point, I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I played it.

Quote:

I did not feel the same way you did about half life 2, because another game which came out JUST before it was better and more revolutionary at the time; Farcry.

I played Farcry first, which was the first time a FPS took you outdoors in a big real environment with wide open terrain allowing you to complete your missions in many different ways. Farcry was just incredible and remains my favorite 1st person shooter of all time. It also brought destructible environments before HL2 was released.

I played HL2 just a few months later, and all the rat maze like levels and lack of organic life was very underwhelming after playing Farcry. Had HL2 came out first, I might have had better memories, but Farcry would still have overshadowed it.

Dude.

I love Far Cry. As as matter of fact, believe it or not, I just re-downloaded it off of steam earlier. Of course, I will not play all of the way through it - I never do.

Being a lover of Far Cry yourself, I bet you know what point I stop playing (Hint: Crysis pulled that crap, too). It just totally ruined it.

That is why to me, Far Cry never ranked as high as Half Life 2.
October 31, 2011 2:52:08 PM

PCgamer81 said:
Dude.

I love Far Cry. As as matter of fact, believe it or not, I just re-downloaded it off of steam earlier. Of course, I will not play all of the way through it - I never do.

Being a lover of Far Cry yourself, I bet you know what point I stop playing. It just totally ruined it.

That is why to me, Far Cry never ranked as high as Half Life 2.

My point was Farcry was more revolutionary than HL2 was and I personally didn't mind the mutants. When you first run into the mutants, I always jump out of my chair and I find myself trying to peak around corners with my head and the difficult of the end was vary satisfying to beat, but I do know most people did not the end.

I still prefer Farcry, and so did most reviewers at the time.
October 31, 2011 2:59:05 PM

I didnt like farcry as much. it was good in alot of ways but HL2 had a feel to it that im sure not anyone else can duplicate
October 31, 2011 3:05:22 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
I didnt like farcry as much. it was good in alot of ways but HL2 had a feel to it that im sure not anyone else can duplicate

HL2 had more of a RPG feel to it, which is quite appealing, and as much as I like RPG's, good combat is what drives me to play a game and Farcry had much better combat in my opinion. Maybe it's because I loved sneaking through a jungle and using terrain to my advantage and stealth in a real life way.
October 31, 2011 3:07:34 PM

the sneaking was very nice, and added a sense of depth and realism, but HL2 had this extremely convincing world that i still cant get enough of. EP:3 valve, still waiting....
October 31, 2011 3:10:12 PM

Far Cry didnt appeal to me much it was just average in my opinion. It had some great ideas but it just couldnt pull them off.
October 31, 2011 3:11:33 PM

they pulled them off in crysis
October 31, 2011 3:23:38 PM

Herr_Koos said:

...and a Source 3 game engine would be nice too, just to bring graphics up to date, or (wishful thinking) license the frostbite 2 engine. ;) 
October 31, 2011 3:26:51 PM

valve would do no such thing. they will just update the source 2 engine and make another episode
October 31, 2011 3:28:22 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
they pulled them off in crysis

Yeah, Crysis is amazing. I didn't mind the aliens in Crysis, mainly because you are already 80% of the way through the game when you have to deal with them. I much preferred slaughtering human opponents. Which is one of the reasons I enjoy Half Life 2 and the Combine so much.

And as much as this will seem like blasphemy, it is also why I prefer Far Cry 2 over Far Cry.
October 31, 2011 3:31:50 PM

yes, blasphemy; farcry2 imo was total garbage.
October 31, 2011 4:21:38 PM

FlintIronStagg said:

No, it wasn't that at all.

The game in itself was a piece of art, it's just the title, which had nothing to do with Farcry, that somehow cheated people; they should have given it another name, and I am sure it wouldn't be so criticized today.
October 31, 2011 4:25:42 PM

i went into it knowing it was made by a different developer, and gave it a sincere try, but hated every minute of it.
October 31, 2011 4:27:15 PM

FlintIronStagg said:

A lot of people agree with you there. I understand that a lot of fans were angry that it has absolutely nothing to do with the first Far Cry, and the gameplay was also quite different.

I for one like how open-ended it is. I like the realism; african factions going at it with the player caught in the middle. I like the whole malaria thing and how you have that to deal with through it all. And most of all, I enjoy the Stalker-esque "observe and attack" gameplay element...against human foes.
October 31, 2011 6:06:26 PM

Half-Life is a religion and I'm 1 of the many worshipers. PEACE!
!