Question: Wireless connection successful but cannot connec..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 29, 2004 11:59:12 PM

I have a Netgear 802.11b wireless router. I have one computer connecting
successfully using a Netgear MA111 wireless USB 802.11b adaptor and this
works fine. I am now connecting a second computer using a Netgear WG111
wireless USB 802.11g adaptor. All indications are that the WG111 connects
to the router fine. I receive the solid green light and the Smart Wizard
indicates a 100% signal. However, when I attempt to access the Internet, I
get "cannot connect to server". Now the odd thing is that if I connect to
the Internet using the wired connection and then plug in the wireless
adaptor and remove the wire, it will maintain the internet connection and
access successfully.

I am using Comcast as an ISP and running Windows 98.

Is there a setting that I am missing?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks
Lou
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 30, 2004 5:32:27 PM

Check your firewall settings. It may be preventing you from
connecting to your network. Make sure MAC address filtering is
blocking the WG111 from having access.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:59:12 -0500, "daddio" <info@daddiorecords.com>
wrote:

>I have a Netgear 802.11b wireless router. I have one computer connecting
>successfully using a Netgear MA111 wireless USB 802.11b adaptor and this
>works fine. I am now connecting a second computer using a Netgear WG111
>wireless USB 802.11g adaptor. All indications are that the WG111 connects
>to the router fine. I receive the solid green light and the Smart Wizard
>indicates a 100% signal. However, when I attempt to access the Internet, I
>get "cannot connect to server". Now the odd thing is that if I connect to
>the Internet using the wired connection and then plug in the wireless
>adaptor and remove the wire, it will maintain the internet connection and
>access successfully.
>
>I am using Comcast as an ISP and running Windows 98.
>
>Is there a setting that I am missing?
>
>Any assistance is appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Lou

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 30, 2004 10:12:59 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:32:27 GMT, Doug Jamal <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com>
wrote:

>Check your firewall settings. It may be preventing you from
>connecting to your network. Make sure MAC address filtering is
>blocking the WG111 from having access.

<snipped>

CORRECTION: Make sure that MAC address filtering IS NOT blocking the
WG111 from having access.
!