T_Bird

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Has anyone succesfully Flashed the AMI bios on a K7S5A board? I tried all three of the Flash Utilities sent with the mainboard software. I've finally gotten a download of the AMINF326 file off the web. When I launch the Flash program they all come back with "Error 2 - File does not exist." I've tried to flash from disk and from a C: dir. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
You're forgetting the .ROM part when entering the name of your BIOS file. Make sure you write you write out the FULL file name INCLUDING the .ROM extention.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you also are supposed to flash a bios off the floppy, not the hard drive...otherwise, you might end up with a bad flash...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

T_Bird

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Thanks for your replies. Your right I was not using the file extension. Please clear this up for me. I thought once you ran the flash utility (AMINF326.exe) it would come back and prompt for the name of the BIOS.rom file. One of your replies suggests that I include the name of the BIOS file in the command line. Also from the OCworkbench post that was included in this forum it suggested that the flash be run from the hard drive as there was possibly some corruption in the floppy translation. Again thanks for your help..

T_Bird

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Again thanks for your suggestions. I finally got it to flash with the command line A:>aminf326.exe ovk7s5al.rom. I was dissappointed when I got back into the setup and the new bios still wouldn't let me change the multiplier, only the FSB. If you all hear of a bios update that lets you change the multiplier please post.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
there is a hacked bios out there that allows you to change the multiplier, but you have to unlock your processor...

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
where the hell did you download your files from...i am trying to download from ecs, and it is like they are on a 13k modem or something...i dunno what is going on...
got a link where it downloads faster? or did you just wait 2 hr?

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH ECS' WEBSITE?
it is all slow...
i dont understand it...
downloads time out, and i would like to update my bios...considering my friend, who bought the same board as me, at the same time, has a newer bios...about a month difference..
and i am getting some problems...not exactly sure that it is related to the bios, but pretty sure, since my friend has basicaly the same setup as me...
i am getting an error on windows startup that says, error accessing the registry, and it has to restart, and fix the problem...
does it every other boot...
dunno what is going on...
i am going to try and flash the bios, IF I CAN DOWNLOAD THE FRIGGIN ROM FILE!
the driver cd has the ami bios flash thing on it, dont know if it is the right one, because it has different numbers than those on the ecs website...anyone have any ideas?

-DAvid

Jusphil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I think there was a setting in the ram section of the S5A that totally screwed up my windows boot, so i set it all back to failsafe settings and then windoze found a registry error,

It's amazing how much microsoft assumes you want to change something without you first (regardless if it woks or not)

i have since learned that as soon as i get a working installation of Windows i make a backup of the registry Then i tweak the bios.

If something goes wrong and windows cant work trouble free, i can restore bios settings and load the backup bios. =)

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, i did change something...i put it to maximum performance..but that didnt change anything that i already had set up...
it just re-enabled the onboard stuff, which i had disabled...
too bad windows xp has all that protection, otehrwise i would get a copy of xp...and use that....less problems apparently....but then again, no personal experience...
but does anyone know a place that i can get the latest bios for the k7s5a, and the latest flash utility?
i would just like to rule out the factor of the motherboard causing the problem...i will load the maximum compatibility settings, and just disable the built in stuff..and see if that solves the problem...
i just found it strange that my board would have a later bios on it....oh well...
links people links...hehe

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
OKAY...
i found out what was wrong with the download...
i was downloading from the taiwan site or something..
i went to the ecsusa site, and it downloaded in like a split second!
yay..
now i have to figure out if it is the bios causing the prob..
my bios date is 8-27 or something...and my friends is 9-20...
should i get the 9-20 one?

-DAvid

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
YES, as that is a new board and BIOS updates are normally critical the first 6 months to a year that a new baord is out. With one exception, which is if your system already runs well. Read the bios readme and see what it has changed since you had your last bios. If you see changes that may improve preformance and/or stability, go for it.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
on the taiwan site, there is a more recent one..released on 11-24-01, which is today...
but that one wont download..
how long should it take for the us site to get that bios...and should i just wait?

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, it runs, but every other boot or so, i get this registry access error...and it is buggin the hell out of me...
so i am going to try a bios flash...

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok, i downloaded the 9-20-01 bios from ecs, and flashed successfully, and loded the optimum performance (max compatibility) settings, and disabled the onboard things, as well as the powersaving settings..
everything was good, then windows loaded up, and there was that same error...
"windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you."
i click "ok" then another message appears after that.
"Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.dll at 015f:bff711be."

well, i have pretty much determined that the bios was not causing a disk error, so i decided to see what the windows help desk thing said about this error...
especially since toms was down for a while.
what they said was that the disk that contains the swap file does not have sufficient disk space.
as far as i know, you need an optimal minimum of 200 megs free on the partition that windows is installed on.
on my c partition, i have 729 megs free, so i dont think that is the problem..but i follow what they say to do, their solution.
it says to go into command prompt only, and find where the swap file is, which i was totally unshocked to find out was on my c partition. i deleted it like it says to, and then checked to make sure that there was no more swap files on any partition. none. so i booted up windows. no error message. but then again, the problem only happened on every other boot! so i dont know if it is gone.
i will post again in this thread if i get that error message again. i sure hope that i dont. that would be a great dissapointment. damn windows errors!

-DAvid

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I have this mobo. In fact it is in the computer I'm using right now. It resets randomly even with good power supplies and I had to get the hacked bios for the floppy to work. I am still thinking of whether or not to sell it. I will definately try the newest official bios before I give up.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmmmm..
mine works great, in fact, i am using it right now...like you..
i have a generic case, with a generic 350w psu...and i dont get random restarts...
and that error is gone..
and i had no problems flashing the bios...like some people have been having.
and it runs really fast.
i dont think that i will be getting rid of mine for a while.
it works great, and will accept the athlonxp, and will take up to a gig of ddr or pc-133, but i doubt that i will switch to 133, since i am addicted to ddr now.
hehe
well, it works good for me...and it is a black pcb..which i think looks sweet as hell...and when i put my window in, it will be shown to the world! well, at least the people that see my computer...hehe

-DAvid

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
You've never had this mobo reset randomly on you? maybe there is like a good batch and a bad batch, but in any case myself and many other people have this mobo randomly reset on them and it is ticking me off.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
mine has never reset automatically..
windows doesnt shut down sometimes, but that is a windows 98se problem, not the board!

-DAvid