WinXP constantly swapping

Mike

Splendid

I have a laptop with 512 MB RAM. When I open task manager, Physical
Memory available is 128 MB. Even though 128 MB of memory is free,
windows is always swapping to the hard drive when I switch
applications.

Why doesn't windows use the other 128 MB of memory???

Thanks.

michael_matthes@yahoo.com (mike) wrote:

>I have a laptop with 512 MB RAM. When I open task manager, Physical
>Memory available is 128 MB. Even though 128 MB of memory is free,
>windows is always swapping to the hard drive when I switch
>applications.
>
>Why doesn't windows use the other 128 MB of memory???
>
>Thanks.

How do you know it is swapping to the hard drive? Are you measuring
the actual amount of active memory content in the paging file in some
way? Windows XP does not report this information.

The disk activity could just be in connection with loading the new
application.

You can track actual paging file usage with a free utility written by
MVP Bill James. Get it from
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/

Good luck