Sign in with
Your question

My computer went to sleep and it never woke up!!

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Computer
  • CPUs
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2001 8:10:27 PM

I have a homebuilt computer: AMD Athalon 850, ABit KA7-100, Generic RAM (128 meg), and a VooDoo 3 3500 graphics card. I ended up coming home one day to find that my computer had gone into what looked like powersave mode and when I tried to "wake it up" nothing happened so I hard booted it and I could hear the cpu fans were on and the cdrom drive would open and close. But no hdd busy or cpu busy lights would come on. I tested the cpu, ram, and video card in different computers to no avail. I tried running the computer with just the necessary perephials (ie. mobo, cpu, video card, and powersupply) still same symptoms. I then sent my motherboard back to the company i purchased it from and they sent me a new one. Still nothing. I tried a new monitor, tried flushing the bios, and tried a new powersupply. Still same symptoms. Is there anyone that has had this problem before or can think of a way to help me??? Please!! I dont want to pay $75/hr to have someone look at it. I built it I "should" be able to fix it. But I cant. Please help.

More about : computer sleep woke

October 23, 2001 12:56:15 AM

try a new case. no im not kidding.

does the hdd actually spin, or nothing happen at all?

Yossarian lives
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2001 2:04:47 PM

Are you thinking that mayabe there is a short with the board and the case? Because if its the case then it didnt work with it not in a case at all. I just hooked everything up on the floor and it still didnt run. As for the hard drive it feels/sounds like it is running but I dont have it hooked up to the mobo at all. Is it getting power? yes i think so.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2001 4:05:40 PM

The monitor is not displaying anything on boot? no post or anything?

Try a different vidcard with the same setup. Or have you looked at the cpu? I see you've talked about the CPU light not coming on and the fan working etc... but have you tried a different cpu in there?

:eek:  <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel
October 23, 2001 5:39:17 PM

ok, so a routine test yet again!

Keep the board on a insulating surface, like clean floor.

Now put in just the processor and connect the speaker and the power connector properly to the board. Just that, no memory, no video, no drives.

Now power up.

If it gives out a continuous long beeps then <i>BOTH</i> the board and CPU are ok, else the BIOS code wouldnt have been run at all!

You have a new board so probably the CPU might be bad if this test fails.

Now add some memory, if you have more than one stick, put in just one.

Power up.

Now the board scream cry for the display card. If it does, your memory is okay else it isnt going past the memory.

Now add the display card and power up.

Now it should give out a short beep and you should see the bootup screen on the monitor.

Once you are sure the system is running well till this point them you can start adding peripherals.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2001 10:30:30 PM

Ok I'll try it again but I dont know. Have you ever heard of a MoBo not booting up because it needed the hard drive or floppy drive to pass a POST test? Someone told me that that was my problem. I'll defintaly try your test thou. Thx.
October 25, 2001 9:01:36 AM

Quote:
Have you ever heard of a MoBo not booting up because it needed the hard drive or floppy drive to pass a POST test?

To boot up, you need <b>mobo</b>, <b>CPU</b>, <b>Video card</b> and <b>RAM</b>.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2001 4:38:08 PM

What happens if the motherboard that I have doesnt have a speaker on it to check to see if it gives out long beeps or not. There is no speaker on my motherboard so I dont know how I can do the "routine" test. Let me know if you've got other ideas.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2001 3:58:25 AM

I have this same mother board. I am not currently using it, but I was using it at one time. Currently it is sitting up on the shelve. I have read the diagnostics that some other people have suggested and if you follow the advice of booting up and adding just one thing at a time you should get some answers that way. I have not had any problems with this mother board, but this is a replacement for one that did go bad on me. The KA7-100 that went bad on me started doing lots of strange things. The board would hang up on me, reboot out of the blue for no reason, not boot up at all for no reason, etc.... I finally ended up getting the board replaced with a new one. My opinion of these mother boards is that they are just flaky. I much prefer ASUS boards.
November 1, 2001 6:57:36 PM

no speaker?? nb, its not attatched to the mobo, it should come with the case. buy one, otherwise youre never going to know whats (and sometimes if) the problem.

if i remember right you can make a soundcard be used as pc speaker, but i think you have to select this in the BIOS... take a look at mobo/soundcard manual just in case theres an option to do this using jumpers. really though you need a pc speaker, they should be hardly any cost if you can find one for sale (a smaller comp shop might even give you one, esp if you buy stuff from him often).

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"
November 1, 2001 7:02:21 PM

oh im not sure but check your battery, ive been fiddling with mine and i note very similar effect when the battery is removed and Clear CMOS jumpers are set, cant remember if this happens when its just the battery removed - ive only just got this thing back up and running so sorry but im not about to try it out for you!

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2001 7:25:02 PM

An old computer of mine once refused to turn back on... I hovered my room out and it started working again - not a peep out of it until it met the greeat computer graveyard in the sky a couple of years later.

I was a student at the time ;) 
!