Automatic System Restore

I have a laptop running XP Pro SP2 which does not create System Restore
Points (i.e. the automatic ones which are supposed to be created every 24
hours, based I assume on running time). On my desktop running XP Home SP2,
there is no problem. As a result I have had to schedule a System Backup on
the laptop, to run every couple of days.

There does not appear to be any option to turn automatic restore points on
or off in System Restore, so I am asking is there some Registry setting that
I need to change to acheive this. Or am I stuck with using the System Backup
for my recovery points?
--
Trevor L.

Trevor,

System Restore not creating automatic System Checkpoints?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/checkpoints.htm

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Microsoft Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx

"Scheduled System Checkpoints (every 24 Hrs by default) are also only created at system idle time so that their creation never interferes with any user using the machine"

Note from Mr.Anshul Rawat [MS]
"If the machine has been continuously up and idle and you haven't installed any new app which already created a checkpoint for that day, then you should see a system checkpoint created every 24hrs and you should have 5 for 5 days."

Additional Information:

To create a Restore Point automatically using a script, copy the contents to a notepad, save as CreateRP.VBS
set SRP = getobject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore")
CSRP = SRP.createrestorepoint ("Created a Restore Point now", 0, 100)

To create a Restore Point, just double-click the CreateRP.VBS file which you've just created.

Quickly reset all the System Restore points (Windows XP):
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/resetsr.htm

Print the list of all available System Restore points to a file:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ListSR.htm

How To Use the System Restore Utility with WMI in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295299

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User