XP Stop code 0x0000007e - ata 100 to 133 Plz Help!

f14rio

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005
I have a maxtor 80gb 7200 rpm drive hooked up to a gigabyte 850e-ich4 mb running 1gb pc800, pny ti4600, audigy1. When I'm connected to the ata100 ide interface all is good but when I connect to the ultra ata133 interface then I get stop codes 0x0000007e (0xc000005 ... etc). However I can boot into safe mode.

Tried disabling all services and startup items through msconfig to no avail.

Just got my new mb yesterday... dfi lanparty ultra-d, rosewill ati x800xl, low latency pc3200 1gb ram. This board has only the ultra ata133 interfaces on the board (i know it's backward compatible to ata 100) but I still get the same stop code. Unlike the giga board, I do not have the option of moving my cable to the working ata100 interface. So I am now forced to find a resolution.

I have two of the same hd's and both do the same thing.

I have searched the net but can't find anything similiar to what I am experiencing.

I have seen references to updating the raid drivers (i am only running one drive though) after popping in and booting from the xp cd but I am not presented with the F6 option to load the drivers.

Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on or what I should try.

riser

Illustrious
Do you have the right IDE cables in place? 40 pin or 80 pin?

If this has happened on 2 different boards, it's not your board. It could be that the hard drive is corrupt or that you have the wrong cable.

Try reinstalling Windows, it could be a windows installation problem causing it too.

f14rio

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005
Yeah I meant to put that in there ... I have the right cables and tried two different ones.

This is the second drive that this has happened to.. both are maxtor 80 gb 7200rpm. So I'm thinking that they are not corrupt.. what are the chances and especially if they work at ATA 100 spec.

I am trying to avoid reinstalling xp. But I'm thinking that will be my route unless someone comes up with the magic I need by the time I leave work today hehe.

riser

Illustrious
Are you trying to plug into an onboard Highpoint controller, a promise controller? This is onboard or is it a PCI controller?

If it's onboard, you want to update your BIOS.
When you install Windows, at the very very beginning you have to hit F6 to install the controller drivers, otherwise it will never work.
But my understanding is that you're trying to load Windows?
Something isn't right, I haven't looked up your error yet either. I'll do that and see if I find anything useful on it.

riser

Illustrious
Link..

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330182&sd=RMVP" target="_new">link for error</A>

Disable ACPI Power Management in your BIOS. Refresh the ESCD just for kicks too.

Are you trying to OC your RAM? BIOS is auto configuring all your hardware, correct?

Restore BIOS to default or fail safe, then try again.

f14rio

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005
Not sure what type of controller it is... the mobo has nforce 4 so I think its Nvidia.. not sure if that is what you are asking.

Installing the drivers is on my list to do tonight but I tried that last night by booting the XP cd but wasn't offered to install the raid drivers.

XP is already installed so I would like to stay away from trying to install it again and losing data. But if I can't get it going tonight then that is exactly what I'm going to do. I don't want to spend the rest of the week on this... I have games to play!!

riser

Illustrious
What's the model of your motherboard? I'll check to see if it has an onboard raid controller that needs seperate drivers.

When you install Windows, you have to hit F6 within the first 30 seconds to "Install 3rd Party RAID Drivers" or something to that effect. It doesn't prompt you, you have to be aware that it's an option.

It sounds like you need drivers to make the controller work.

Now, did you upgrade the motherboard and keep your original install of Windows or did you reinstall from scratch? That would cause a problem.

If you can, explain step by step how things happened.
Ie - Installed motherboard, loaded windows, changed motherboard, didn't reload windows, etc.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Well, you've got an interesting case, here. The online info about that stop code doesn't point at a hardware problem, it points at software issues. If you can do it, I'd reinstall Windows on one of the drives. I suspect that will fix it. If you need the info on the drive, boot into Safe mode and back it up to CD. I have a sneaking suspicion that the different controller on this motherboard is the cause.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

f14rio

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005
Last night I installed XP from scratch and it worked fine without installing the RAID drivers (onto another maxtor drive which has had the same problem in the past).

Before I did this I was troubleshooting and tried turning off the ACPI and also refreshing the ESCD as someone posted before. Disabling ACPI put the computer into a reboot loop without even making it to the windows screen (the moving bar at the bottom).

While in safe mode I did notice that in Device Manager under the IDE/ATAPI section I had 3 Primary IDE controllers and 3 Secondary IDE controller plus 3 of something (I don't remember... I am at work now). Irregardless... I tried to remove all three of each but it would only remove two of each and I would assume that this is because the drives were active on the ones that wouldn't delete. I was deleting them so that I could reboot and reinstall drivers. This did not work.

Next I will try actually updating the drivers from within Device Manager properties tab for each. I am sure this will work and if not then I'm giving up and will start installing all my apps onto the other drive that I installed xp on last night.

The mobo I have is a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D ... url:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3471&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=NA

f14rio

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005
To answer your last question riser.... the problem I am writing about is the result of a board upgrade. However I have experienced the problem on the original board 2 years ago when I got the original mobo.

riser

Illustrious
Whenever you upgrade a motherboard, you have to reinstall Windows.. it's almost guarenteed.

Windows installs itself to the HAL (Hardware Layer) of the motherboard. When you change that, Windows becomes unstable.

Back with Windows 95 and 98, there was a trick that you'd delete an Enum key out of the registry which effectively removed information about the motherboard. Then you could put a new board in and when Windows loaded, it would recreate that registry key.

Then again, in 98/98, if you just put a new mobo in, most of the time it worked fine anyhow.

But yeah, the reinstall is necessary when changing out your motherboard.. it's like changing out the core of the entire system. Everything is built around it.