adrian_j

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2001
Im about to buy a new computer and need some opnions on what motherboard i should go for. I am going to buy the AMDxp chip and was think either to go for an Epox 8HKA+ or and MSIK7T266a. I need your opinion on which direction i should go. I shall be using for a high end user, graphic works and demanding tasks. Your input will be greatly apprecieated!

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey A,
I just bought the EpoX mobo. The only advantage you would get by going with the MSI mobo, is, it is cheaper and it has USB 2.0 ports. In all the benchmark tests that I have seen, it is the slowest KT266A mobo. Keep in mind that most people would not be able to tell the performance difference between the two. Right now, I believe that the EpoX mobo has the best OC'ing options of all the KT266A mobos. From all that I have read EpoX has a great tech support team including bios updates with easy to flash bios downloads. If I didn't get this mobo, I would have gotten the Shuttle AK31 version 3.0, Shuttle has great tech support, and is the cheapest KT266A mobo out there. I hope this helps a little.
Peace Out...........tile

Keep Hope Alive!

G

That ECS is a very popular board. My company has been putting lots of them in computers lately. They're great for basically everyone (it's incredibly cheap so you can use it with a 750 Duron or a 1.4 Athlon, it doesn't matter). We have noticed at least one quirk though.

The Creative Blaster Modem sold at Newegg.com causes the board not to post. We tried multiple Creative Modems in multiple PCI slots. Finally we had to use another modem.

We haven't tried the modem in multiple boards though, so it could have been that specific board.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey F,
I thought about the Leadtek (SiS 735) mobo, but I was tired of waiting for a decent SiS 735 mobo to be released, so I got the EpoX 8KHA+. Do you have this Leadtek mobo? or know anyone that does? Also they make decent 3D cards, but how is their build quality on mobos? Oh well, maybe I should have waited..........but after Sept. 11th, I figuared what am I waiting for? My life is passing me by, and I already have too many regrets, a slow PC isn't going to be another one. I think, I made the best mobo choice at the time that I ordered it.
Peace Out...........tile

Keep Hope Alive!

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I want to like the ECS, but this thing randomly restarts. What is up? Other people have the same problem! And my power supply is good (enermax). Don't know what to do.

G

I don't know. I haven't encountered that problem yet...At some point there'll be a BIOS update. Hopefully soon, for your sake and possibly mine in the future.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface: