Extract GPS data from VX6000?

Is it possible to extract GPS location info from a VX6000? In real time?

any thoughts?

bp
6 answers Last reply
More about extract data vx6000

    "BP" <bpuli@email.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to extract GPS location info from a VX6000? In real time?
    >
    > any thoughts?
    >
    > bp

    In theory, yes. But, if Verizon is your provider, be prepared to pay an
    extra monthly fee to do it.

    JD

    how do you get into this menu?

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:46:18 -0500, "Jude the dude"
    <The-Internet@off-shore.hms> wrote:

    >"BP" <bpuli@email.com> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to extract GPS location info from a VX6000? In real time?
    >>
    >> any thoughts?
    >>
    >> bp
    >>

    >In theory, yes. But, if Verizon is your provider, be prepared to pay an
    >extra monthly fee to do it.
    >
    >JD

    Baloney! GPS has been discussed several times recently, including how
    to activate it. Use the hidden menu to turn it on.

    - Sandy

    On 8 Dec 2004 16:20:54 -0800, paul814@excite.com wrote:

    >how do you get into this menu?
    Somebody should create a FAQ on this.

    1. Press "Menu" button.

    2. Press "0" (zero)

    3. Your are presented with the prompt "??????"

    4. Enter "000000" (zeros)

    5. Procede from there.

    I've been trying to find info about the functions in the hidded menu,
    but it's like the holy grail. Nobody seems to know. (shrug)

    - Sandy

    My understanding is that the phone itself has no way of calculating it's
    position and that it just relay's back to the tower the GPS signals it is
    recieving. Then the tower (or switch, not sure which) can send the location
    of the phone BACK to the phone for use by location aware applications on the
    phone.

    I don't think Verizon has any of this turned on yet. I don't know if they
    even make E911 available to emergency services yet...

    -Eric

    "Sandy A. Nicolaysen" <sandynic@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > On 8 Dec 2004 16:20:54 -0800, paul814@excite.com wrote:
    >
    >>how do you get into this menu?
    > Somebody should create a FAQ on this.
    >
    > 1. Press "Menu" button.
    >
    > 2. Press "0" (zero)
    >
    > 3. Your are presented with the prompt "??????"
    >
    > 4. Enter "000000" (zeros)
    >
    > 5. Procede from there.
    >
    > I've been trying to find info about the functions in the hidded menu,
    > but it's like the holy grail. Nobody seems to know. (shrug)
    >
    > - Sandy

    I got this from the Howard website. One thing was brought up that in
    some areas, dialing 922 is like dialing 911. My use in Los Angeles
    shows no problems, and when you dial 922 and press send you get to
    listen to a radio station, I think KNX, and then you get your data on
    your screen. I did this in my office and went to mapquest to check the
    accuracy. It was accurate to where I was sitting at my desk in the
    office!

    Use at own risk. The following is what I have cut and paste for you.

    "I got this information somewhere the other day, but can't find it
    now, but here's the gist of it. Whatever I read said that this is only
    available in some markets, too.

    Hit Menu > 0 > 000000 (SPC code) > 2 (Field Tests) > 6 (gpsOne) > 2
    (Test Num) > Change to 922 > OK (I believe this step has to be done
    every time you restart your phone)

    While in gpsOne menu: 5 (NV) > 5 (gpsOne Lock) > Turn Off > OK

    Also: 1 (gpsOne Test Screen) > Turn On > OK

    Also: 4 (Start Application)

    Get out of the menu by pressing End.

    Dial 922 > Send
    Screen should say "gpsOne ... something"
    Wait a few seconds, then a bunch of information will appear that you
    can scroll through using the up or down buttons. I don't know what
    most of it means, but you can see your Lat & Long on the first screen.
    Be aware that you will (most likely) be charged for minutes while in
    this screen. Hit End to finish.

    Before I unlocked the gpsOne Lock and turned on the Screen (form above
    steps), dialing 922 just gave a bunch of really weird sayings using
    different voices and in a strange pattern. I don't know what any of
    that meant, but it was interesting, nonetheless.

    Hope this helps!"

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:20:31 GMT, BP <bpuli@email.com> wrote:

    >Is it possible to extract GPS location info from a VX6000? In real time?
    >
    >any thoughts?
    >
    >bp

Verizon GPS Internet Service Providers