Does file "WindowsUpdate.log" grow without bounds?

The file <windir>\WindowsUpdate.log on my system contains entries back to
September and is currently about 500KB in size, and contains little of
interest. I can't delete it from the command line since it's open by some
process.

Does it have an upper size limit? What process is responsible for
maintaining this file?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com

Hint... Windows Update.

Every time http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ is visited and scanning is
run. Whether by you or by Automatic Updates.

Automatic Updates has it open. wuauclt.exe or wuauclt1.exe is the process.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:Xns95A189835C85FVeebleFetzer@207.46.248.16,
Bert Hyman <bert@visi.com> hunted and pecked:

In news:eFm7RaqyEHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hint... Windows Update.
>
> Every time http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ is visited and
> scanning is run. Whether by you or by Automatic Updates.
>
> Automatic Updates has it open. wuauclt.exe or wuauclt1.exe is the
> process.

But does the file grow without bound, or does the update process keep the
file trimmed to a "reasonable" size?

Otherwise, I'll have to stop the process and clean it up myself from time
to time.

[Aside: Your newsreading/posting software appears to be misbehaving, since
it put the text of my message and part of your response after the signature
separator (sigdash).]

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com

Bert,

I do not use Automatic Updates. I do delete the contents of my log from
time to time. Because of that I do not know how large the log can grow to.

[shrug]
My Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437

Yours: Xnews/06.08.25

Interesting reading here >>>
CNET > Downloads > Windows > Internet > Newsreaders > Xnews > User Opinions
http://www.download.com/3302-2164_4-10144167.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:Xns95A1D301EA61EVeebleFetzer@207.46.248.16,
Bert Hyman <bert@visi.com> hunted and pecked:
> In news:eFm7RaqyEHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl "Wesley Vogel"
> <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Hint... Windows Update.
>>
>> Every time http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ is visited and
>> scanning is run. Whether by you or by Automatic Updates.
>>
>> Automatic Updates has it open. wuauclt.exe or wuauclt1.exe is the
>> process.
>
> But does the file grow without bound, or does the update process keep
> the file trimmed to a "reasonable" size?
>
> Otherwise, I'll have to stop the process and clean it up myself from
> time to time.
>
> [Aside: Your newsreading/posting software appears to be misbehaving,
> since it put the text of my message and part of your response after
> the signature separator (sigdash).]

oldguy90210

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
so, does anyone really know the answer? can this file grow to beyond 1,000,000, meg or what? or phrased another way...
can u archive the file periodically , so that we can delete old data ..

if u really know the answers to these converns , ple4ase reply..

the answer of "never tried it" is not valuable to the discussion. thanks..

also, if the file is open and u delete it, tell me why u think that's an ok thing to do. "deleting open files".
if an Microsfot are listining. tell me abou the maint of this file and other s like it app/dev files, cbs.log etc etc...