Best mobo for xp with my 1.333?

smooveb

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2001
Hi Everyone,

right now I've got myself an Abit kt7a-raid with my athlon. However, depending on the version of the board, it seems I may need to upgrade if I wish to use xp (which I do :)

Hoping this will start an educated debate of sorts, I'm wondering what the best board for this will be? As well, it should definitely be said that I've got over 700mb of pc133 ram that I'd like to continue using.
I think overall I liked the abit board, although configuration was at times a nightmare - especially since that was the first computer I've built. So looking for something robust, yet much easier to use I suppose. Thanks in advance!
B

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the board is probabely ok for you, I wont recommend a upgrade unless you really want to get DDR-RAM. but if you are sticking to your SDRAM then dont.

you can easily trade your 768 MB SDRAM for 256~384 MB of DDR anyway.

the ECS K7S5A looks good for your upgrade.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

Why do you think you need to upgrade for XP? I'm running XP on a 750 Athlon 1 with a KX133 chipset ASUS board and I have no problems whatsoever.

My friends are even running it on 300 Celerons and 400 K6-2s, though it's not completely smooth with all the effects turned on.

Is there some BIOS issue or unsupported hardware?

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

G

I don't know...from the title I assumed he already had an athlon 1.33. I guess he could be upgrading, but that would be a pretty small jump.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

smooveb

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2001
Hi guys,

good questions all. Abit claims that version 1.1 of my kt7a board is not compatible with Windows XP. Seems pretty ridiculous that they cannot rectify the situation with a new bios.

SO, I may need to upgrade my motherboard to upgrade my OS. The board I have now is speedy and powerful, but has proven quite often to be a configuration nightmare, consequentially unstable is a setting or two is off. Don't want to go through that again!
As well, using a GlobalWin38 cpu fan, which keeps my cpu cold as ice, but is Godawefully LOUD. So looking for a quieter cooling solution, perhaps something a little cheaper than the NoiseControl Silverado.
Thanks everyone!
B

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, since you want to keep your SDRAM, I'd get either an Iwill KK266Plus RAID or an MSI K7T Turbo Limited Editon with RAID.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
That board will not work with an <font color=red>Athlon</font color=red> XP. Not <font color=red>Windows</font color=red> XP :)
The Game Theatre XP works fine with it.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>