Gaming PC - Hot GPU and lag after playing a game after 10 Minutes

jjjggg50

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hi, I've been using speed fan to monitor my GPU because I've been getting lag on almost all games after playing them for over 10 minutes on my laptop.. My specs are pretty good but I lag running Mount and Blade on the lowest settings possible.
Specs below:

Intel i7
RAM: 4 GIG
Nvidea Geforce 230m
Q720@1.6 GHz (8 CPUS)

Any suggestions on how to fix these issues?

Note: I could run Crysis 2 on medium settings on the day of getting the laptop without lag. Now I can't run it at all without giant lag spikes after a while of playing it.

CvK01

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I am not sure I can give you straight diagnosis but here are a few things I would try:

- clean the air intakes of your laptop
- install the latest GPU driver

A few questions:
How hot is hot?
When did you get the laptop?

jjjggg50

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

1) A few months ago.
2) 90-95C

Buy a decent laptop cooler. Most laptops are build for mobility and they did not focus much on dissipating heat at high GPU loads. Most guys I know who have or ever have gamed on a laptop have used one because of the same issues. They are just angled stands with a fan or two blowing underneath. It's enough to help quite a bit.

Also, as mentioned make sure you blow out the dust from all vents if it is visible. An air compressor works much better over canned air.

DM186

Splendid
Your Temps are to high, anything over 75c to 80c is two hot and at 90c to 95c it will cause your GPU not to work right. On my Laptop I use a cool mat. All I do is put my lap top on it plug the USB into my laptop and it cools is down a bit. Also you need to keep the ducts clear of dust build up more offten than a PC. I have a laptop and a PC. I use my PC to play games. When I played games on my laptop it would get very hot. My PC doesn't get as hot. With my Cards I have to adjust them for each game because some games require more or less resources. I hope that you running the high temps haven't hurt your GPU or your CPU.

On my old PC I would get Laging that was bad. I would have to stop the game and let my system cool down but after 10 to 20 mins of playing it would do it all over again. On my new PC I built I don't have that problem any more. Heat is bad for Computers.

I'm surprised to see that you were able to run crysis with that GPU. one thing I can tell you about mount and blade is that it's not very well optimized game.

advice of all above goes without question

I'd also advise to lower your resolution and turn off gpu scaling to full screen. You will get black bars on the sides of the screen when you game on lower resolutions that your native, but at least you'll lower the load on the GPU.