Uninstalling Windows Updates

November 15, 2004 2:31:33 AM

WIN XP HE
Hi,
After I downloaded a whole bunch of Security Updates with the Automatic
Windows Update feature, my computer freezes often.
I have tried to restore to previous point but I get a message that Restore
cannot restore to the point before the updates.
I have tried uninstalling the updates one by one and have done 2 or 3 but
all of the rest give me a message such as: Windows has detected the
following programs (such as Ad-Aware SE--which I installed AFTER the Windows
updates. The program may not work properly if you uninstall.
I would like to uninstall anyway but haven't done so yet, not wanting to
mess things up.
1) Do I need to worry about these messages?
2) Should I uninstall the 4 or 5 programs that I installed since the Windows
updates and try to a) Restore or b) continue uninstall the windows update in
Control Panel?
Thanks for your comments.
November 15, 2004 2:31:34 AM

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Sure - uninstall them first..
> Although I doubt the updates are the problem.
> Do you have SP2?
<snip advice that will become more relevant>

saturnin02 wrote:
> I do not have SP2.
> I guess I can uninstall the programs....
> Any other relevant comments appreciated...

Is there any particular reason you have neglected to install SP2 by now?

Have you scanned your system with at least 3 different free Anti-Spyware
scanners?

When was the last time you scanned your system for viruses/trojans?

You should uninstall any applications you never use/don't recognize. Many
spyware/adware apps actually showup in Add/Removbe programs in the Control
panel.

When was the last time you used MSCONFIG to go through your startups and
figure out which ones were relevant/needed and removed the unneeded ones?

Have you looked through your services and set to manual those you really do
not need?

So you currently use the ICF or some other firewall?

When was the last time you updated the hardware drivers (particualrly your
chipset, video and sound card drivers)?

Have you defragmented your system lately?

--
<- Shenan ->
November 15, 2004 3:04:36 AM

Shenan,
I have done all of those things, of course.

!