Will PC games move to blue ray?

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hello,
Yup. Blue ray has higher quality capabilities. As well has a lot more storage space. Playstation moved to blue ray effectively. I know download is easy, but you can't replay without re-buying usually right? (if on different system etc)What do you think?

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
With DD (digital distribution) becoming more and more popular I can't see an reason to ever go to bluray.
Why buy a bluray player, order a game from a site/store, wait a few days for delivery then install. When you can just buy a game from a DD site, set it downloading and installing and have it within a few hours.
Hell with pre-loads becoming more popular you can be playing the game within seconds of it being released.

I know download is easy, but you can't replay without re-buying usually right? (if on different system etc)
By different system you mean like moving from Steam to Origin right?
If your talking from one PC to another or similar then its very easy.
For example with steam you can just copy the whole steam folder and paste in on your new computer (after installing the client) and 99% of the games will work fine the others just require reinstalling.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Sums up what I was going to say.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Erm I think you'll find downloading on the interent is taking over solid copys (CDs, DVDs etc) and has been for years. Its not just games its also the same for music and film aswell.

Music shops are closing down or changing business because of itunes and other music download sites taking over CD sales. Apple are also trying to get rid of DVDs/Blu rays the same way they did with CDs with itunes.

Its the same with games. Its cheaper for publishers to put games up for download on steam for example than it is to make hard copys and ship them to shops around the world. Its also more convenient for buyers insted of driving to a store or buying online and waiting a few days for delivery you can download and be playing in a few hours.

I don't think these countrys with dial up internet and people who don't have internet are of any concern to the publishers. They are in the minority.

I'm not pro downloading at all, I prefer to have the real thing, but this is the way it is.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007

Pretty much every PC game has had patches released or extra content added which have been released via the internet. I don't know of a single company which releases patches on disks.

Hell when the orange box was released I pre-ordered the DVD version, received on day of release and there were already nearly half a gb of patches (released between the time the disk was burnt and when I received it).

In this day and ages there is very little to have dial-up (generally if you can get dial-up you can get DSL) or not have the internet.
If there doing it to save money any savings would be counter by setup cost (bluray drive) and increased cost of the game (if movie media is anything to base it on).

Having a PC without the internet is like having a car and never driving it on the road. Sure you can do it, but its extremely limiting.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Yeah this is a point that I was going to make, not only are patches for games released online but also updates for windows and hardware drivers.

I understand completely and I wouldn't have a computer without the Internet, but as i said, there are still places in the country that don't have viable Internet access. Just because you have a phone doesn't mean you can get DSL. You have to live within limits of the CO to get DSL. My brother didn't even have DSL available to him until 2 years ago.

I'm sure these people are the minority, but I think games will move to blu-ray as well as digital downloads.

I think bluerays will eventually become a standard, but not anytime in close future. Maybe in 5 years at least. There's not many games that wouldn't fit on 2 DLDVDs however there's not that many people that have a blueray reader in their PC.

as far as this majority/minority with internet access. I guarantee you there are more people out there with high speed internet access than there are with blue ray reader/writer in their PC.

So, one more time, blue ray will come about, eventually, but not anytime soon.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I know all about Internet updates, but I don't see how that invalidates the validity of having a disk to use. I will always want some other live way to install a big good game that comes from outside the HDD. I think they should use disks, dvd, etc until they come up with a better way of easy storage. Regardless of blueray.
I thought of updates to games as something that would just be.

Maybe flash will improve over disks someday? Makeing it so cheap and easy that we go back to cartridge gaming, but for the PC. That would be ironic..