Socket370 mobo, which mobo to buy???

G

i'm planning to buy a Socket 370 mobo for my Pentium III 600MHz. Well, below is my list of possibility...

1. Asus CUV4X-E
2. Asus TUA266 (Can it support non-tualatin?)
3. AOpen AX34ProII
4. ABit VH6 II
5. Soyo SY-7VCA
6. Asus TUV4X-C (Can it support non-tualatin?)
7. ABit SA6

Any comment on which mobo is the best among the lists? Please advise...

Thank you.

Just me, a computer weirdo...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The TUA266 can support both Coppermines and Tualatins. But I think the best motherboard right now is the Asus TUSL2-C. I only recommend VIA to people I hate, I would say STAY AWAY from them, knocking off the CUV4x, AX34, VH6, TUV4X from the list. The only good boards on your list are the SA6 and the TUA266. The only one with an Intel chipset is the SA6. While this is a good board, I prefer the TUSL2-C over it.

Back to you Tom...

G

I notice that TUA266 is using ALI MAGIK, izzit? What's the advantage of ALi Magik over other chipsets?

By the way, having a mobo which can add RAM up to 1GB is better than adding to 512MB? Any difference in performance? Is there a limit to operating system using RAM with 1GB and one with 512MB?

Just me, a computer weirdo...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sakuragikun on 10/24/01 00:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your system will never need more than 512MB RAM. By the time you need more than that, your system will be too outdated to worry about it. While all modern OS's can use 512MB, Win98SE is limitted to no more than 512MB, while NT/2000/XP can handle more. But as I already said, you won't need more, because by the time you do, your system will be outdated.

Back to you Tom...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You left out the TUSL2-C, thats interesting! It supports the Tualatin, and has a real onboard sound chip.

Asus CUBX-E is also good, it wont support Tualatin, but you might be upgrading the board when you need a upgrade anyway.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>