Restoration Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to

I not a regular user of system restore. Usually I use go back. But system
restore captures a longer period of time and this time I could use it for
that reason.

I wanted to go back to nov 1. It has a Restore Ope4ration date there. But
when the restoration is complete and boots up it states Restoration
Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to nov 1 No changes have been
made to your computere. Or when I tried nov 2, nov 5 etc.

Is this one times to disable-renable system restore, or is there someother
way around this?

Thanks

You are misunderstanding System Restore.

In the first place, System Restore is not the same as Norton GoBack. System
Restore only backs up the essential guts of Windows, so that in the event of
a problem, you will have a functioning operating system that you can use to
help you troubleshoot and, hopefully, solve your problem. Norton GoBack
attempts to record every change made to your system.

It is a mistake to use System Restore to restore your system as far back as
you are trying to do. Your system very likely has changed a great deal in
that time, and restoring Windows to point that old can very well damage your
system. The correct way to restore your entire system to an earlier point in
time is to restore a backup. Obviously, if haven't been making regular
backups, this is not an option.

System Restore typically fails because of virus infections or because
restoring a particular restore point would cause your machine to become
unstable. When this happens, the only thing you can do is to erase all
restore points and start fresh.

BTW: Norton GoBack is an incredible waste of a your system resources and
hard disk space. You need to adopt the practice of making regular backups.
--
Ted Zieglar

"larryfergy" <larryfergy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I not a regular user of system restore. Usually I use go back. But system
> restore captures a longer period of time and this time I could use it for
> that reason.
>
> I wanted to go back to nov 1. It has a Restore Ope4ration date there. But
> when the restoration is complete and boots up it states Restoration
> Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to nov 1 No changes have been
> made to your computere. Or when I tried nov 2, nov 5 etc.
>
> Is this one times to disable-renable system restore, or is there someother
> way around this?
>
> Thanks

I have backups . I wanted to avoid loading 13 cds in. My idea, restoration of
registy via system restore and then I would restore any files missing in the
file system. My problems is with visual basic compiler, something corrupted
it. Oh well, I'll restore from backup.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> You are misunderstanding System Restore.
>
> In the first place, System Restore is not the same as Norton GoBack. System
> Restore only backs up the essential guts of Windows, so that in the event of
> a problem, you will have a functioning operating system that you can use to
> help you troubleshoot and, hopefully, solve your problem. Norton GoBack
> attempts to record every change made to your system.
>
> It is a mistake to use System Restore to restore your system as far back as
> you are trying to do. Your system very likely has changed a great deal in
> that time, and restoring Windows to point that old can very well damage your
> system. The correct way to restore your entire system to an earlier point in
> time is to restore a backup. Obviously, if haven't been making regular
> backups, this is not an option.
>
> System Restore typically fails because of virus infections or because
> restoring a particular restore point would cause your machine to become
> unstable. When this happens, the only thing you can do is to erase all
> restore points and start fresh.
>
> BTW: Norton GoBack is an incredible waste of a your system resources and
> hard disk space. You need to adopt the practice of making regular backups.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "larryfergy" <larryfergy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I not a regular user of system restore. Usually I use go back. But system
> > restore captures a longer period of time and this time I could use it for
> > that reason.
> >
> > I wanted to go back to nov 1. It has a Restore Ope4ration date there. But
> > when the restoration is complete and boots up it states Restoration
> > Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to nov 1 No changes have been
> > made to your computere. Or when I tried nov 2, nov 5 etc.
> >
> > Is this one times to disable-renable system restore, or is there someother
> > way around this?
> >
> > Thanks

13 CDs = 2 DVDs. DVD burners are mighty inexpensive these days.
--

> I have backups . I wanted to avoid loading 13 cds in. My idea, restoration
of
> registy via system restore and then I would restore any files missing in
the
> file system. My problems is with visual basic compiler, something
corrupted
> it. Oh well, I'll restore from backup.
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
> > You are misunderstanding System Restore.
> >
> > In the first place, System Restore is not the same as Norton GoBack.
System
> > Restore only backs up the essential guts of Windows, so that in the
event of
> > a problem, you will have a functioning operating system that you can use
> > help you troubleshoot and, hopefully, solve your problem. Norton GoBack
> > attempts to record every change made to your system.
> >
> > It is a mistake to use System Restore to restore your system as far back
as
> > you are trying to do. Your system very likely has changed a great deal
in
> > that time, and restoring Windows to point that old can very well damage
your
> > system. The correct way to restore your entire system to an earlier
point in
> > time is to restore a backup. Obviously, if haven't been making regular
> > backups, this is not an option.
> >
> > System Restore typically fails because of virus infections or because
> > restoring a particular restore point would cause your machine to become
> > unstable. When this happens, the only thing you can do is to erase all
> > restore points and start fresh.
> >
> > BTW: Norton GoBack is an incredible waste of a your system resources and
> > hard disk space. You need to adopt the practice of making regular
backups.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> > "larryfergy" <larryfergy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I not a regular user of system restore. Usually I use go back. But
system
> > > restore captures a longer period of time and this time I could use it
for
> > > that reason.
> > >
> > > I wanted to go back to nov 1. It has a Restore Ope4ration date there.
But
> > > when the restoration is complete and boots up it states Restoration
> > > Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to nov 1 No changes have
been
> > > made to your computere. Or when I tried nov 2, nov 5 etc.
> > >
> > > Is this one times to disable-renable system restore, or is there
someother
> > > way around this?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Hi

It seems as though you may have a corrupted file in SR. You will need turn
SR off/on to clear the corrupted file(s). Unfortunately that will mean that
all existing checkpoints will be lost.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User