Restoration Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to

I not a regular user of system restore. Usually I use go back. But system
restore captures a longer period of time and this time I could use it for
that reason.

I wanted to go back to nov 1. It has a Restore Ope4ration date there. But
when the restoration is complete and boots up it states Restoration
Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to nov 1 No changes have been
made to your computere. Or when I tried nov 2, nov 5 etc.

Is this one times to disable-renable system restore, or is there someother
way around this?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about restoration incomplete computer restored

    You are misunderstanding System Restore.

    In the first place, System Restore is not the same as Norton GoBack. System
    Restore only backs up the essential guts of Windows, so that in the event of
    a problem, you will have a functioning operating system that you can use to
    help you troubleshoot and, hopefully, solve your problem. Norton GoBack
    attempts to record every change made to your system.

    It is a mistake to use System Restore to restore your system as far back as
    you are trying to do. Your system very likely has changed a great deal in
    that time, and restoring Windows to point that old can very well damage your
    system. The correct way to restore your entire system to an earlier point in
    time is to restore a backup. Obviously, if haven't been making regular
    backups, this is not an option.

    System Restore typically fails because of virus infections or because
    restoring a particular restore point would cause your machine to become
    unstable. When this happens, the only thing you can do is to erase all
    restore points and start fresh.

    BTW: Norton GoBack is an incredible waste of a your system resources and
    hard disk space. You need to adopt the practice of making regular backups.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "larryfergy" <larryfergy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I not a regular user of system restore. Usually I use go back. But system
    > restore captures a longer period of time and this time I could use it for
    > that reason.
    >
    > I wanted to go back to nov 1. It has a Restore Ope4ration date there. But
    > when the restoration is complete and boots up it states Restoration
    > Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to nov 1 No changes have been
    > made to your computere. Or when I tried nov 2, nov 5 etc.
    >
    > Is this one times to disable-renable system restore, or is there someother
    > way around this?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have backups . I wanted to avoid loading 13 cds in. My idea, restoration of
    registy via system restore and then I would restore any files missing in the
    file system. My problems is with visual basic compiler, something corrupted
    it. Oh well, I'll restore from backup.

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > You are misunderstanding System Restore.
    >
    > In the first place, System Restore is not the same as Norton GoBack. System
    > Restore only backs up the essential guts of Windows, so that in the event of
    > a problem, you will have a functioning operating system that you can use to
    > help you troubleshoot and, hopefully, solve your problem. Norton GoBack
    > attempts to record every change made to your system.
    >
    > It is a mistake to use System Restore to restore your system as far back as
    > you are trying to do. Your system very likely has changed a great deal in
    > that time, and restoring Windows to point that old can very well damage your
    > system. The correct way to restore your entire system to an earlier point in
    > time is to restore a backup. Obviously, if haven't been making regular
    > backups, this is not an option.
    >
    > System Restore typically fails because of virus infections or because
    > restoring a particular restore point would cause your machine to become
    > unstable. When this happens, the only thing you can do is to erase all
    > restore points and start fresh.
    >
    > BTW: Norton GoBack is an incredible waste of a your system resources and
    > hard disk space. You need to adopt the practice of making regular backups.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "larryfergy" <larryfergy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I not a regular user of system restore. Usually I use go back. But system
    > > restore captures a longer period of time and this time I could use it for
    > > that reason.
    > >
    > > I wanted to go back to nov 1. It has a Restore Ope4ration date there. But
    > > when the restoration is complete and boots up it states Restoration
    > > Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to nov 1 No changes have been
    > > made to your computere. Or when I tried nov 2, nov 5 etc.
    > >
    > > Is this one times to disable-renable system restore, or is there someother
    > > way around this?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    13 CDs = 2 DVDs. DVD burners are mighty inexpensive these days.
    --

    > I have backups . I wanted to avoid loading 13 cds in. My idea, restoration
    of
    > registy via system restore and then I would restore any files missing in
    the
    > file system. My problems is with visual basic compiler, something
    corrupted
    > it. Oh well, I'll restore from backup.
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    > > You are misunderstanding System Restore.
    > >
    > > In the first place, System Restore is not the same as Norton GoBack.
    System
    > > Restore only backs up the essential guts of Windows, so that in the
    event of
    > > a problem, you will have a functioning operating system that you can use
    > > help you troubleshoot and, hopefully, solve your problem. Norton GoBack
    > > attempts to record every change made to your system.
    > >
    > > It is a mistake to use System Restore to restore your system as far back
    as
    > > you are trying to do. Your system very likely has changed a great deal
    in
    > > that time, and restoring Windows to point that old can very well damage
    your
    > > system. The correct way to restore your entire system to an earlier
    point in
    > > time is to restore a backup. Obviously, if haven't been making regular
    > > backups, this is not an option.
    > >
    > > System Restore typically fails because of virus infections or because
    > > restoring a particular restore point would cause your machine to become
    > > unstable. When this happens, the only thing you can do is to erase all
    > > restore points and start fresh.
    > >
    > > BTW: Norton GoBack is an incredible waste of a your system resources and
    > > hard disk space. You need to adopt the practice of making regular
    backups.
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >

    > > "larryfergy" <larryfergy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I not a regular user of system restore. Usually I use go back. But
    system
    > > > restore captures a longer period of time and this time I could use it
    for
    > > > that reason.
    > > >
    > > > I wanted to go back to nov 1. It has a Restore Ope4ration date there.
    But
    > > > when the restoration is complete and boots up it states Restoration
    > > > Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to nov 1 No changes have
    been
    > > > made to your computere. Or when I tried nov 2, nov 5 etc.
    > > >
    > > > Is this one times to disable-renable system restore, or is there
    someother
    > > > way around this?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    Hi

    It seems as though you may have a corrupted file in SR. You will need turn
    SR off/on to clear the corrupted file(s). Unfortunately that will mean that
    all existing checkpoints will be lost.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "larryfergy" <larryfergy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I not a regular user of system restore. Usually I use go back. But system
    > restore captures a longer period of time and this time I could use it for
    > that reason.
    >
    > I wanted to go back to nov 1. It has a Restore Ope4ration date there. But
    > when the restoration is complete and boots up it states Restoration
    > Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to nov 1 No changes have been
    > made to your computere. Or when I tried nov 2, nov 5 etc.
    >
    > Is this one times to disable-renable system restore, or is there someother
    > way around this?
    >
    > Thanks

Computers Microsoft System Restore Windows XP