Battlefield 3 XP patch/mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I would guess there are probably a 70/30% upgraded OS to XP OS gamers out there still, but for us 30% XP users, any chances there will be a patch or crack or mod in the not to distance future? How were the sales of BF3? I bet if they were low from these top of the line system requirements, there gamble was wrong and they would open the market to lower OS's and lower DX support. If it was the game of the year I guess I should forget about any future XP support. It is a bummer though and my thoughts of upgrading from such a stable OS to learning an all new one with Win7 knowing that Win8 will be out right around the corner, was a little more realistic of a future decision until I saw CODMW3 supports XP. Thanks COD, I knew I could always count on you. DICE and Battle field, maybe next year or maybe we can meet in the middle some how.

Solution
I think not having an XP support will affect the sales of BF3, though not that significant but it will still give MW3 an edge in sales. I agree that real gamers need to be upgrading their system in order to follow the trend of gaming tech but there are also CASUAL GAMERS that wouldnt really focus on upgrading their system just for a certain game. These type of users will just stick with what they have and just find options that would suit them. In this case, there are 2 FPS games that are released almost at the same time. Both have good reviews and rating but one of the game requires you to upgrade your system. Resulting to additional purchases and additional cost. With the state of economy, consumers will just select the option with...
It is highly unlikely that there will be a patch to get XP compatibility. BF3 only has DirectX10 and DirectX11 code paths. To get Windows XP support, someone would have to write a DirectX9 code path for the game, or succeed where others have failed and try to hack DX10 support into XP. Supposedly the game sold quite well, though I'm not sure how well on PC, what with the whole Origin debacle. The simple fact is that XP is an obsolete OS, and the vast majority of systems still running it are not powerful enough to run BF3. Quite frankly, if the consoles weren't holding things back for PC games right now, XP support probably would have been dropped from most games a long time ago.

waxy_27

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
They can't just simple add a DX9 path to the engine for a market that is really small. It would mean completely rewriting the core engine, it's to much work for very little return.

Windows XP support on a consumer platform is dead, or almost dead. The only reason it is still on business platforms is because of vendor software support. EA/DICE went the extra mile with developing BF3 to make sure it was the latest and greatest graphics and gave you a good looking game for your money. They chose not to support XP because it would have held them back and they did not want to put resources into supporting an almost unsupported OS. Most gamers have migrated to DX11 already. There are not to many people "gamers" still running XP. Those who are are usually play older games. I would not expect BF3 to ever support XP, they would have out of the gate.

As far as COD supporting XP, it is because they are still running DX9 only and have not changed their engine at all. It's still the same old COD4 look. I would not thanks them for that.

I am not sure what you mean by upgrading from such a stable OS? I am running Vista Ultimate SP2 and have not had a single issue yet. I had to install XP every 2 years because it would get so junked up it caused issues. Windows 7 is just as good as Vista with some extra goodies. Windows 7 is just Vista 1.2

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Well said.

The joke on the consumer is with MW3's 70 dollar retail price point lol.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

What are you talking about $70 price point? Its on Amazon pre-order for $56.99 with free shipping. Not bad.

redhawtcar

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007

Vista is a piece of ***. XP is clearly better. Win 7 is better if you have an upgraded system, which I don't, so no BF3 for me.

Vista is decent if you use the right hardware, i.e. newer. 7 actually works better on older hardware than most think. I have seen plenty of Pentium 4 systems with 7 that work just as good as if not better than XP.

The minimum for 7 I would recommend, and even for BF3, is a Core 2 Duo or Athlon II X2, 2GB of RAM and a 8 series or a HD3K series. 7 would run fine.

Even so you can get a pretty new system for about $600 so its not hard to move to 7. I just wonder why people hold onto 7 year old XP based Dell POSes and get suprised when they can't run newer games.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Because IM tired of having to completely relearn a whole new OS and have to turn off all of the meat hooks from Microsoft to just leave me alone so I can play in peace. My motto is if its not broken, then dont fix it. Well, my XP rig as been flawless for over 7 years and its hard to say goodbye. THe time will come I know, but I guess they are really going to have to make me a believer in BF3 before I change. the trailers were amazing, but $150 for Win 7, $67 for BF3, total $217 just to play one game they is getting not 5 out of 5 reviews is possibly not worth it just yet. Ahh, I can wait for Win8 just around the corner to get Win7 at its price drop. 5 months BF3 should be lower too because of expansion packs and what not. We shall see.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I must be getting old if inflation has gotten to the point where a 6 year old game engine for almost 60 dollars is considered a good deal either.

maxx_94

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
This fix will allow Windows XP users to play Battlefield 3.
Currently BF3 can only be played by users who have DX10 or 11.
With this fix, BF3 can be played by users that have DX9 on XP SP1,2 or 3.
You must have DX9 in order to play this game!

Enjoy ;)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx NO xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

I highly doubt that whatever "fix" that link contains is endorsed/accepted by EA/DICE, since they specifically don't have any support yet for Windows XP.
And since this is your first post here ever, I would have even less reason to believe that as well.

Your first post is a link to a download with no further information? I think not.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Im with ya, but these days you just cant get a new one under $50 so knowing that, Amazon had the best deal I could find. Games are very expensive though.

shiko098

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Sounds like a CoD fan just looking for a more subtle excuse to hate on BF3

Jokes aside, its not exactly a difficult transition to move from XP to 7, definitely best to let some things go if you like to indulge in the latest titles! Whether its a graphics card, some memory, or in this case an operating system *pats*

Last night I switched my graphic settings in BF3 from Ultra, High, High, High, High, etc to "Ultra" (all settings). Blew me away. Unfortunately, to run all Ultra @ 1080p forced my GTX 470 SLI setup down to 40-58 fps during Multiplayer. Caused a little jerkiness that I didn't appreciate.

I, for one, am very grateful that DICE opted to dump the aging DX9 support for this title.

I wish however, that EA & the "Origin" problem had nothing to do with this game. Origin has caused every problem I've had with this game on PC so far. I have to "Repair Install" every two days in order to keep playing. Downloads the exact same 48.1MB file each time and somehow mysteriously fixes the issue.

Plus Origin claimed my Retail DVDs had a problem and I was forced to download BF3 through Origin (which was dreadfully slow).

It's not just inflation, but an actual price hike from the publishers. In the past PC games generally were $10 less than their console counterparts, but the publisher decided to simply jack up the price of PC games to equal that of console games. Pretty unfair since PCs are not sold at a loss to encourage people to drop money on PC games. Consoles are basically sold at a loss.

Based on the following annual inflation rates; if PC games costs $40 in 2000, they should cost $51 now.
http://inflationdata.com/inflation/inflation_rate/historicalinflation.aspx

2001 2.83%
2002 1.59%
2003 2.27%
2004 2.68%
2005 3.39%
2006 3.24%
2007 2.85%
2008 3.85%
2009 -0.34% (yep, that's actually negative inflation; deflation)*
2010 1.64%

* Deflation sounds great on the surface, but you really do not want excessive deflation. Example: You owe $300,000 on your home's mortgage. Due to deflation your salary is reduced from $85,000 to $80,000. But you still owe $300,000.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

No no no, I fell in love with BF3 from the very first time I saw the soldiers exit the human carrier in the first trailer. I was losing sleep over the arrival the night before and as I checked system requirements on the back of the box in the store that I went to, to purchase it, I was devastated by they no XP comparability. Very much let down. So, now I go back to the old comfort zone of good old COD that has never let me down except Black Ops. Someday I will upgrade but COD should hold me for a while unless a patch or mod or something comes out to make compatible XP.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I apologize to the powers that be for coming back and revisiting this at a slightly delayed date, but I just wanted to say that this was an interesting post, and thanks =).

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I think not having an XP support will affect the sales of BF3, though not that significant but it will still give MW3 an edge in sales. I agree that real gamers need to be upgrading their system in order to follow the trend of gaming tech but there are also CASUAL GAMERS that wouldnt really focus on upgrading their system just for a certain game. These type of users will just stick with what they have and just find options that would suit them. In this case, there are 2 FPS games that are released almost at the same time. Both have good reviews and rating but one of the game requires you to upgrade your system. Resulting to additional purchases and additional cost. With the state of economy, consumers will just select the option with less cost but same value - which is MW3. Then again, this is just in sales stand point. For gaming longevity, constant system upgrade is really nescessary.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.