XP SP2 Problems

I have installed SP2 about 4 times. Each time it installs okay, I use
Ad-Aware to scan the hard drive and clean up any unwanted software/spyware
and installed the most recent BIOS for XP SP2 as recommended by Dell. SP2
usually works fine for about a week up to 3-4 weeks. Then out of the blue I
will start up my computer and receive start-up failure in which case I have
to start up in Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to uninstall SP2.
I have reviewed all the "before you install SP2" instructions from both
Microsoft and Dell and I am still unable to keep SP2 in use. Any
suggestions? Thanks in advance!
9 answers Last reply
More about problems

    Jay;
    Why do you think this is an SP-2 issue?
    When you System Restore back before SP-2, you also go back for
    everything else.
    It would be extremely unusual for anything to have such a delay.
    What else happens at the time of the problems?

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed SP2 about 4 times. Each time it installs okay, I
    >use
    > Ad-Aware to scan the hard drive and clean up any unwanted
    > software/spyware
    > and installed the most recent BIOS for XP SP2 as recommended by
    > Dell. SP2
    > usually works fine for about a week up to 3-4 weeks. Then out of
    > the blue I
    > will start up my computer and receive start-up failure in which case
    > I have
    > to start up in Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to
    > uninstall SP2.
    > I have reviewed all the "before you install SP2" instructions from
    > both
    > Microsoft and Dell and I am still unable to keep SP2 in use. Any
    > suggestions? Thanks in advance!

    You need to remove spyware and viruses *before* you install SP 2 - not
    after. Your hard disk must be absolutely clean of any trace of spyware and
    viruses in order to successfully install a service pack.

    Since spyware is so difficult to remove, most people use more than one
    anti-spyware application. And it sometimes takes several passes before an
    infection is removed. Unfortunately, sometimes it's impossible to completely
    remove spyware or viruses.

    Once the infection is completely gone - or after you've reinstalled all your
    software, if need be - then you must focus on avoiding this malware. If you
    aren't able to keep spyware and viruses off your computer, then it's only a
    matter of time before you'll find yourself in trouble once again.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed SP2 about 4 times. Each time it installs okay, I use
    > Ad-Aware to scan the hard drive and clean up any unwanted software/spyware
    > and installed the most recent BIOS for XP SP2 as recommended by Dell. SP2
    > usually works fine for about a week up to 3-4 weeks. Then out of the
    > blue I
    > will start up my computer and receive start-up failure in which case I
    > have
    > to start up in Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to uninstall
    > SP2.
    > I have reviewed all the "before you install SP2" instructions from both
    > Microsoft and Dell and I am still unable to keep SP2 in use. Any
    > suggestions? Thanks in advance!

    Thanks Ted,

    I ran the Ad-Aware priot to downloading SP2 and ran it several times untill
    everything was gone, also manually downloaded my virus definitions and did a
    full virus scan. I will try downloading another program for spyware also.

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > You need to remove spyware and viruses *before* you install SP 2 - not
    > after. Your hard disk must be absolutely clean of any trace of spyware and
    > viruses in order to successfully install a service pack.
    >
    > Since spyware is so difficult to remove, most people use more than one
    > anti-spyware application. And it sometimes takes several passes before an
    > infection is removed. Unfortunately, sometimes it's impossible to completely
    > remove spyware or viruses.
    >
    > Once the infection is completely gone - or after you've reinstalled all your
    > software, if need be - then you must focus on avoiding this malware. If you
    > aren't able to keep spyware and viruses off your computer, then it's only a
    > matter of time before you'll find yourself in trouble once again.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed SP2 about 4 times. Each time it installs okay, I use
    > > Ad-Aware to scan the hard drive and clean up any unwanted software/spyware
    > > and installed the most recent BIOS for XP SP2 as recommended by Dell. SP2
    > > usually works fine for about a week up to 3-4 weeks. Then out of the
    > > blue I
    > > will start up my computer and receive start-up failure in which case I
    > > have
    > > to start up in Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to uninstall
    > > SP2.
    > > I have reviewed all the "before you install SP2" instructions from both
    > > Microsoft and Dell and I am still unable to keep SP2 in use. Any
    > > suggestions? Thanks in advance!

    Hi

    Do yuo see any error message prior to the problem occuring? If not, have a
    look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there may point towards the
    problem.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed SP2 about 4 times. Each time it installs okay, I use
    > Ad-Aware to scan the hard drive and clean up any unwanted software/spyware
    > and installed the most recent BIOS for XP SP2 as recommended by Dell. SP2
    > usually works fine for about a week up to 3-4 weeks. Then out of the
    > blue I
    > will start up my computer and receive start-up failure in which case I
    > have
    > to start up in Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to uninstall
    > SP2.
    > I have reviewed all the "before you install SP2" instructions from both
    > Microsoft and Dell and I am still unable to keep SP2 in use. Any
    > suggestions? Thanks in advance!

    Thank you Will,

    I went to the event viewer, not sure what I am looking for, I copied 12
    system events and 4 application events as noted below. I did not see
    anything else that would give me a clue. These are the events that started
    during the last successful logon and the last time SP2 failed...I am assumimg
    this is SP2 related. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

    SYSTEM: (not sure what is relevent and what is info only)
    1) Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Uniprocessor Free.

    2) The Event log service was started.

    3) DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting
    to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

    4) DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting
    to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

    5) The SYMTDI service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which
    failed to start because of the following error:
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.

    6) The DHCP Client service depends on the SYMTDI service which failed to
    start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed
    to start.

    7) The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service
    which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to
    the system is not functioning.

    8) The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD Networking Support
    Environment service which failed to start because of the following error: A
    device attached to the system is not functioning.

    9) The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which
    failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the
    system is not functioning.

    10) The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AFD,
    Fips
    IPSec, MRxSmb, NetBIOS, NetBT, Processor, RasAcd, Rdbss, SAVRT, SAVRTPEL,
    Tcpip

    11) DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode "
    attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run
    the server:
    {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

    APPLICATION:
    1) wuauclt (2240) The database engine stopped.

    2) wuaueng.dll (2240) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine stopped the
    instance (0).

    3) The description for Event ID ( 1800 ) in Source ( SecurityCenter )
    cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
    information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.
    You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see
    Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
    ..

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Do yuo see any error message prior to the problem occuring? If not, have a
    > look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there may point towards the
    > problem.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed SP2 about 4 times. Each time it installs okay, I use
    > > Ad-Aware to scan the hard drive and clean up any unwanted software/spyware
    > > and installed the most recent BIOS for XP SP2 as recommended by Dell. SP2
    > > usually works fine for about a week up to 3-4 weeks. Then out of the
    > > blue I
    > > will start up my computer and receive start-up failure in which case I
    > > have
    > > to start up in Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to uninstall
    > > SP2.
    > > I have reviewed all the "before you install SP2" instructions from both
    > > Microsoft and Dell and I am still unable to keep SP2 in use. Any
    > > suggestions? Thanks in advance!

    Hi

    Do you have any specific problems with Windows Update? What kind of
    Internet connection have you got? Dial-up or Broadband?

    --

> [...]
    >> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have installed SP2 about 4 times. Each time it installs okay, I use
    >> > Ad-Aware to scan the hard drive and clean up any unwanted
    >> > software/spyware
    >> > and installed the most recent BIOS for XP SP2 as recommended by Dell.
    >> > SP2
    >> > usually works fine for about a week up to 3-4 weeks. Then out of the
    >> > blue I
    >> > will start up my computer and receive start-up failure in which case I
    >> > have
    >> > to start up in Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to uninstall
    >> > SP2.
    >> > I have reviewed all the "before you install SP2" instructions from both
    >> > Microsoft and Dell and I am still unable to keep SP2 in use. Any

    Denny,

    I have absolutely no problems with Windows Update, SP2 downloads perfectly
    everytime and installs okay. Unfortunately, I have dial-up (cable/dsl is not
    available yet here...one more month DSL will be available). As I mentionrf
    before, SP2 works okay for a while (generally 3-4 weeks) unlike this time it
    only lasted 6-days. Then all of a sudden after no program changes or
    software upgrades or additions I can only start up in Safe Mode until I
    remove SP2.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

> [...]
    > >
    > > 2) wuaueng.dll (2240) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine stopped
    > > the
    > > instance (0).
    > >
    > > 3) The description for Event ID ( 1800 ) in Source ( SecurityCenter )
    > > cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
    > > information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
    > > computer.
    > > You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description;
    > > see
    > > Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
    > > event:
    > > .
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Do yuo see any error message prior to the problem occuring? If not, have
    > >> look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there may point towards

    Hi,

    Doesn`t sound like a SP2 problem, especially if everything is working for
    several weeks. Seems like something else is causing your problem. I
    haven`t had any problems on computers I updated to SP2 that I maintain.

    Jeff

    > Jay;
    > Why do you think this is an SP-2 issue?
    > When you System Restore back before SP-2, you also go back for everything
    > else.
    > It would be extremely unusual for anything to have such a delay.
    > What else happens at the time of the problems?
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have installed SP2 about 4 times. Each time it installs okay, I use
    >> Ad-Aware to scan the hard drive and clean up any unwanted
    >> software/spyware
    >> and installed the most recent BIOS for XP SP2 as recommended by Dell.
    >> SP2
    >> usually works fine for about a week up to 3-4 weeks. Then out of the
    >> blue I
    >> will start up my computer and receive start-up failure in which case I
    >> have
    >> to start up in Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to uninstall
    >> SP2.
    >> I have reviewed all the "before you install SP2" instructions from both
    >> Microsoft and Dell and I am still unable to keep SP2 in use. Any
    >> suggestions? Thanks in advance!

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Jeffrey,

    As I just wrote to Jupiter Jones, the last time I updated to SP2, other than
    email, I did not download, update or install anything (except XP & Virus
    updates). I did not even change any settings. So I am baffled. I may just
    go without SP2 for a while to see if I have any problems. You are both
    right, it may not be a SP2 problem, may just be a coincidence. (????)

    "jeffrey" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Doesn`t sound like a SP2 problem, especially if everything is working for
    > several weeks. Seems like something else is causing your problem. I
    > haven`t had any problems on computers I updated to SP2 that I maintain.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > Jay;
    > > Why do you think this is an SP-2 issue?
    > > When you System Restore back before SP-2, you also go back for everything
    > > else.
    > > It would be extremely unusual for anything to have such a delay.
    > > What else happens at the time of the problems?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I have installed SP2 about 4 times. Each time it installs okay, I use
    > >> Ad-Aware to scan the hard drive and clean up any unwanted
    > >> software/spyware
    > >> and installed the most recent BIOS for XP SP2 as recommended by Dell.
    > >> SP2
    > >> usually works fine for about a week up to 3-4 weeks. Then out of the
    > >> blue I
    > >> will start up my computer and receive start-up failure in which case I
    > >> have
    > >> to start up in Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to uninstall
    > >> SP2.
    > >> I have reviewed all the "before you install SP2" instructions from both
    > >> Microsoft and Dell and I am still unable to keep SP2 in use. Any
    > >> suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Microsoft Windows XP