Hi all,

I'm running ICS with XP Pro as the host and Win ME (Well I like it !) as the
(only) client. My problem is that although the internet is accessible from
the client, sometimes (but not always) the ICS status icon (2 computers) does
not appear in the taskbar on the Win ME machine. This means if I want to
disconnect from the internet I have to go to the XP machine and disconnect
from there. The 'show icon on the taskbar when connected' box IS checked (
although the only way to check this is when the icon is there !). Is there a
way to force the icon to appear, for example by running 'ICSStatusIcon.exe'
(or whatever it is called), so that if it does not appear I can force it to ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it is a bit of an inconvenience,
although I am, happily, losing weight with the running backwards and forwards
between the 2 machines.
Many thanks in advance...
Rob

Answer from MVP Steve Winograd:

Run XP's Network Setup Wizard again on the Win ME computer to make
sure that it's configured properly. Make sure that the "Universal
Plug and Play Device Host" service is running on the XP Pro computer.

Then, reboot ME and see if the ICS status icon appears.

If it doesn't, go to Start | Run | Msconfig | Startup and see if this
line, which runs the ICS client software, is present:

c:\windows\rundll32 c:\windows\system\icsdclt.dll,ICSClient

You can run that command manually in the Start | Run box or include it
in a batch file in the Startup folder. If you do, be sure to type
"ICSClient" exactly as shown, observing the upper case and lower case
letters.

If you have a shared dial-up Internet connection, you can install
Remote Disconnect Utility on the client and the host to get the needed
functionality. Get it here:

http://www.twiga.ltd.uk/rdu.asp
--
Best Wishes,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ