Sign in with
Your question

Battlefield 3 on 5970

Last response: in Video Games
November 2, 2011 12:45:37 PM

It'd be fantastic to get feedback from someone with a similar rig, though all comments are appreciated.

I'm currently running the game with an XFX 5970XXX @ 1175/840 and with an i7 930 @ 4ghz. I've also got 6gb of Dominator RAM running at 1600mhz.

Throughout the beta I was able to play on Ultra without issue. Since launch, and since having 11.9 drivers forced upon me, I can no longer play at Ultra or even High.

When playing at either High or Ultra, the game is totally playable with solid framerates, however the game will freeze randomly for a few seconds at a time. The freezes can occur 5 times in 10secs, or once in 10minutes, though they don't seem to be triggered by a particular action or in-game event.

In an attempt to alleviate the issues I moved up from the 11.9 drivers onto the 11.10 preview drivers and then onto the full release....fully aware that between the r3 preview and full release there was no difference at all. None of the aforementioned drivers would appear to have made any difference.

At present I'm using the 11.10 drivers with the CAP4 profiles, and things just seem to have gotten worse. Is anyone else experiencing serious issues with their 5970s, or with ATI cards in general?

More about : battlefield 5970

November 2, 2011 12:54:18 PM

Having just had a nosy at the other BF3 thread, it would appear I'm not alone. It'd also appear to not just be ATI cards having issues....ugh.
November 2, 2011 1:27:35 PM

Sorry to say that most people are having issues with the game. Sometimes there is a fix, like lowering the clock speed (you may want to try that,) updating drivers, bios updates and what have you - but essentially this all boils down to the fact that this a new PC game and in a few days they will have an update or a hotfix to resolve many of the reported issues.

I'm having no issues, except for loss of connection to the servers but for the most part I blame EA for that and the demand for playing the game. Which will likely calm down when MW3 comes out. Although disabling upnp on the ol' homehub seems to have fixed that...

Anyway:

Change the detail settings.
Try to lower the clock speed of your graphics card (a known issue with BF3 means it crashes if you have overclocked or your gpu is running at a certain speed)
If applicable upgrade the BIOS for your gpu, though I won't say you should do it.
Roll back the drivers if you can - I downloaded the new drivers for the beta and haven't needed to upgrade since.

As you have read many people are having problems - personally if the above doesn't do anything or other suggestions don't work - you're going to have to wait it out am afraid. :-/
Related resources
November 2, 2011 1:37:52 PM

I might have another look tonight, though I'm not sure I've got the energy. I'm at the stage where the game is perfect using the medium config...if I have to run with this till it gets patched, so be it.

November 2, 2011 1:50:35 PM

Like Gumption said, Also you can try to enable V.Synch and see if you're getting a constant of 60 FPS.
And from the BF3 article reviewed by Toms
Quote:
I would have liked to spend more time benchmarking AMD’s higher-end Radeon HD 5970 and 6990, but getting those boards stable in any capacity was difficult enough for the preceding tests.
November 2, 2011 2:18:16 PM

Gumption said:
I'm having no issues, except for loss of connection to the servers but for the most part I blame EA for that and the demand for playing the game. Which will likely calm down when MW3 comes out. Although disabling upnp on the ol' homehub seems to have fixed that...

I had regular loss of connection issues during the Beta (and also with BC2), and have since fixed them by disabling uPnP on my router. Since doing that I have not had a single disconnect from a BC2 or BF3 server unless the entire server has crashed, which has been extremely rare.

So can confirm that this works on the homehub as said.
!