Performance monitor on a remote computer

a b C Monitor
November 16, 2004 5:29:07 PM

I am using performance monitor (perfmon.exe) on an XP machine to monitor
itself and a remote Windows 2000 machine. I have tried this with a Windows
2000 machine monitoring itself and another remote Windows 2000 machine.

I am able to see the remote machine counters in the system monitor scrolling
display. When I go to counter logs, I can add the counters for the remote
machine as well as for the local machine. I start the counter log file and
stop it after a few minutes. Sampling is set to once every 15 seconds. The
only data in the log file is for the counters on the local machine that is
running performance monitor.

I have created a counter log file that has only one counter for the remote
machine. I can create this counter log OK. It is set for manual start. When I
manually start it, I get the error message "The <countername> log or alert
has not started. Refresh the log or alert list to view current status, or see
the application venet log for any errors. Some logs and alerts might require
a few minutes to start, especially if they include many counters". I click on
OK and then refresh it but nothing happens. Any idea what I am doing wrong.

I am logged into both machines as an administrator.

Thanks;

George Pavlath
December 1, 2004 4:29:49 PM

I'm having the same problem. Have you found a resolution?

- Dave

"George Pavlath" <George Pavlath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<11854573-3371-4BFD-9907-5879F4645906@microsoft.com>...
> I am using performance monitor (perfmon.exe) on an XP machine to monitor
> itself and a remote Windows 2000 machine. I have tried this with a Windows
> 2000 machine monitoring itself and another remote Windows 2000 machine.
>
> I am able to see the remote machine counters in the system monitor scrolling
> display. When I go to counter logs, I can add the counters for the remote
> machine as well as for the local machine. I start the counter log file and
> stop it after a few minutes. Sampling is set to once every 15 seconds. The
> only data in the log file is for the counters on the local machine that is
> running performance monitor.
>
> I have created a counter log file that has only one counter for the remote
> machine. I can create this counter log OK. It is set for manual start. When I
> manually start it, I get the error message "The <countername> log or alert
> has not started. Refresh the log or alert list to view current status, or see
> the application venet log for any errors. Some logs and alerts might require
> a few minutes to start, especially if they include many counters". I click on
> OK and then refresh it but nothing happens. Any idea what I am doing wrong.
>
> I am logged into both machines as an administrator.
>
> Thanks;
>
> George Pavlath
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
December 12, 2004 11:51:03 PM

Dave;

Yes, I did. Here is what needs to be done. You must be logged in as an
administrator on both machines.

1. In the machine to be remotely monitored go to control panel,
administrative services.

2. In the right pane of the two pane window, which opens double click the
services icon.

3. In the right pane of the subsequent two pane window, scroll down the list
of services until you find "Performance Logs and Alerts". RIght clisk it and
select properties.

4. In the tabbed window select the "Log On" tab. The default radio button
that is selected is "Local System Account". This is the problem. Select the
"This account" radio button and then enter your user accoung as domain\user
name. Then enter the password for this account and confirm the password.
Click on the enable button, then the OK button.

5. Close out all of the open windows by clicking on the "X" button in the
upper right hand corner of each window.

6. You may have to reboot. I am unsure of this but it is always safe to do so.

7. You can start perfmon.exe on the other computer and you should be able to
log counters on the remote machine.

This is working well for me. Hope this helps.

George

"Dave" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem. Have you found a resolution?
>
> - Dave
>
> "George Pavlath" <George Pavlath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<11854573-3371-4BFD-9907-5879F4645906@microsoft.com>...
> > I am using performance monitor (perfmon.exe) on an XP machine to monitor
> > itself and a remote Windows 2000 machine. I have tried this with a Windows
> > 2000 machine monitoring itself and another remote Windows 2000 machine.
> >
> > I am able to see the remote machine counters in the system monitor scrolling
> > display. When I go to counter logs, I can add the counters for the remote
> > machine as well as for the local machine. I start the counter log file and
> > stop it after a few minutes. Sampling is set to once every 15 seconds. The
> > only data in the log file is for the counters on the local machine that is
> > running performance monitor.
> >
> > I have created a counter log file that has only one counter for the remote
> > machine. I can create this counter log OK. It is set for manual start. When I
> > manually start it, I get the error message "The <countername> log or alert
> > has not started. Refresh the log or alert list to view current status, or see
> > the application venet log for any errors. Some logs and alerts might require
> > a few minutes to start, especially if they include many counters". I click on
> > OK and then refresh it but nothing happens. Any idea what I am doing wrong.
> >
> > I am logged into both machines as an administrator.
> >
> > Thanks;
> >
> > George Pavlath

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 21, 2010 1:30:08 PM

I'm trying to monitor a counter on a remote production server, under the "Log On" tab, under the Performance Logs and Alerts service properties box... "This account" is check with "NT Authority\Network Service" as the account.

I'm a little gun shy to change this, anyone know what other processes could be attached to this account?