Cell Phone - Do Not Call list **Information Alert**

Last response: in Network Providers
December 9, 2004 3:38:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to
telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls on
cell phones. Call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222.
It is the national Do Not Call list. It blocks your number for 5 years.

Here's the online form:
https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 3:38:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <n8Ntd.56440$QJ3.21356@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
"Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to
> telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls on
> cell phones.

That is not true.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

December 9, 2004 5:06:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Forget what the 411 plan promises "TODAY".
When there's HUGE money to be made selling our phone numbers,
plans/promises can and will be changed,
often without much of a warning to us consumers.
Oh, it won't be "published" in hardcopy but
that doesn't mean that the softcopy can't be sold.

Besides, the National Do Not Call Registry is simple.
All that is required is the phone number and
an email address.

"Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

> In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to
> telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls on
> cell phones. Call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222.
> It is the national Do Not Call list. It blocks your number for 5 years.
>
> Here's the online form:
> https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx

December 9, 2004 5:06:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <BqOtd.56459$QJ3.46573@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
"Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> When there's HUGE money to be made selling our phone numbers,
> plans/promises can and will be changed, often without much of a
> warning to us consumers.

There's a law against telemarketing to cell phones. The sky is not
falling.

Protest wrote:
> Forget what the 411 plan promises "TODAY".

Oh yeah, let's just into a total panic! :)

> When there's HUGE money to be made selling our phone numbers,
> plans/promises can and will be changed,
> often without much of a warning to us consumers.

And the Qsent proposal makes this easier how? If the cell companies
really wanted to do this, they wouldn't have to publish a 411
directory... they already have our numbers and could easily sell those
numbers TODAY.

Oh and by the way... the Do Not Call list has problems as well. Putting
your number on the list only makes your number off limits to for-profit
telemarketing calls. Do you realize how many telemarketers have
switched to getting paid to represent non-profit and political
endeavors, both of which are NOT covered by DNC, and which ALL of those
numbers are now publicly available and fair play to telemarketers
getting paid to market for non-profit agencies? That's right, your cell
phone number may not have been immediately known to non profit agencies,
but putting it on the DNC list makes it available and callable to any
boilerroom that's getting cash to guilt-trip called households to donate
money to "worthy" causes. Of which half or more of the amount collected
will go to "overhead" expenses, lining the pockets of telemarketing
firms who are allowed to profit even if they work for "non-profit"
agencies. Nice move, moron. :)

> Oh, it won't be "published" in hardcopy but
> that doesn't mean that the softcopy can't be sold.
>
> Besides, the National Do Not Call Registry is simple.
> All that is required is the phone number and
> an email address.

Ah, so they can spam you too. :)

Look, all you're doing is playing on the fears of the uninformed to
spread an urban myth. I wish scum like you would get a life.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
December 9, 2004 5:06:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Besides -

Putting one's cell number on a "do not call list" - just creates another
list and, please realize that it would be a highly coveted (ie; expensive)
one at that.

Everything is for sale somewhere.

--
Ron A. Marraccini
RAM Legal Systems - OBI #146

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
news:o lRtd.5982$so4.5719@fe35.usenetserver.com...
> Protest wrote:
> > Forget what the 411 plan promises "TODAY".
>
> Oh yeah, let's just into a total panic! :)
>
> > When there's HUGE money to be made selling our phone numbers,
> > plans/promises can and will be changed,
> > often without much of a warning to us consumers.
>
> And the Qsent proposal makes this easier how? If the cell companies
> really wanted to do this, they wouldn't have to publish a 411
> directory... they already have our numbers and could easily sell those
> numbers TODAY.
>
> Oh and by the way... the Do Not Call list has problems as well. Putting
> your number on the list only makes your number off limits to for-profit
> telemarketing calls. Do you realize how many telemarketers have
> switched to getting paid to represent non-profit and political
> endeavors, both of which are NOT covered by DNC, and which ALL of those
> numbers are now publicly available and fair play to telemarketers
> getting paid to market for non-profit agencies? That's right, your cell
> phone number may not have been immediately known to non profit agencies,
> but putting it on the DNC list makes it available and callable to any
> boilerroom that's getting cash to guilt-trip called households to donate
> money to "worthy" causes. Of which half or more of the amount collected
> will go to "overhead" expenses, lining the pockets of telemarketing
> firms who are allowed to profit even if they work for "non-profit"
> agencies. Nice move, moron. :)
>

> > Oh, it won't be "published" in hardcopy but
> > that doesn't mean that the softcopy can't be sold.
> >
> > Besides, the National Do Not Call Registry is simple.
> > All that is required is the phone number and
> > an email address.
>
> Ah, so they can spam you too. :)
>
> Look, all you're doing is playing on the fears of the uninformed to
> spread an urban myth. I wish scum like you would get a life.
>

> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:21:34 PM

Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <BqOtd.56459$QJ3.46573@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>
>> When there's HUGE money to be made selling our phone numbers,
>> plans/promises can and will be changed, often without much of a
>> warning to us consumers.
>
> There's a law against telemarketing to cell phones. The sky is not
> falling.
>
> http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

All this assumes of course that the whole world lives in the USA.

Ivor
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 3:05:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <2a1ud.56754$QJ3.33834@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
"Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> Hmmm ... since the National Do Not Call Registry is provoking such
> contempt, here's something to ponder seriously over ..

No, the registry is not provoking contempt; in fact, I have my land line
registered with it.

What is provoking contempt is your "the sky is falling" hysteria.

December 9, 2004 3:27:03 PM

Protest wrote:
> Don't forget that cell phones also have text messaging features that
> facilitate another form of spam.

....And SMS spam is also actionable. An extension to 1991's junk fax laws made
it illegal. That just happened within the last 12 months, but it *has* happened.

December 9, 2004 7:39:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

And, what are you doing? Hypocrite!!!

I have yet to receive telemarketing calls and
spam of the sort that you fear.

Anyone with half a brain knows that the chances of
the registry being sold is much-much less likely than
the 411 directory.

"Isaiah Beard" <scaredpoet@scaredpoet.com> wrote in message
news:o lRtd.5982$so4.5719@fe35.usenetserver.com...
> Protest wrote:
> > Forget what the 411 plan promises "TODAY".
>
> Oh yeah, let's just into a total panic! :)
>
> > When there's HUGE money to be made selling our phone numbers,
> > plans/promises can and will be changed,
> > often without much of a warning to us consumers.
>
> And the Qsent proposal makes this easier how? If the cell companies
> really wanted to do this, they wouldn't have to publish a 411
> directory... they already have our numbers and could easily sell those
> numbers TODAY.
>
> Oh and by the way... the Do Not Call list has problems as well. Putting
> your number on the list only makes your number off limits to for-profit
> telemarketing calls. Do you realize how many telemarketers have
> switched to getting paid to represent non-profit and political
> endeavors, both of which are NOT covered by DNC, and which ALL of those
> numbers are now publicly available and fair play to telemarketers
> getting paid to market for non-profit agencies? That's right, your cell
> phone number may not have been immediately known to non profit agencies,
> but putting it on the DNC list makes it available and callable to any
> boilerroom that's getting cash to guilt-trip called households to donate
> money to "worthy" causes. Of which half or more of the amount collected
> will go to "overhead" expenses, lining the pockets of telemarketing
> firms who are allowed to profit even if they work for "non-profit"
> agencies. Nice move, moron. :)
>

> > Oh, it won't be "published" in hardcopy but
> > that doesn't mean that the softcopy can't be sold.
> >
> > Besides, the National Do Not Call Registry is simple.
> > All that is required is the phone number and
> > an email address.
>
> Ah, so they can spam you too. :)
>
> Look, all you're doing is playing on the fears of the uninformed to
> spread an urban myth. I wish scum like you would get a life.
>

> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

December 9, 2004 7:39:53 PM

> And, what are you doing? Hypocrite!!!
>
> I have yet to receive telemarketing calls and
> spam of the sort that you fear.
>
> Anyone with half a brain knows that the chances of
> the registry being sold is much-much less likely than
> the 411 directory.

Exactly, the only reason there is a do not call list is that so many people
asked the politicians we elected for such regulation. Any politician who
would be silly enough to water it down would be out of a job in the next
election.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 8:00:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Or your worn out sig....("provoking contempt")
The election is over Michelle, PLEASE maybe enough is enough?...

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message news:michelle-BB99FD.12052109122004@news.west.cox.net...

> What is provoking contempt is your "the sky is falling" hysteria.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 9:38:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I've had both our cell numbers on the DNC list since its inception
and have not received a single solicitation, non-profit or otherwise.

--
John Richards

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message news:o lRtd.5982$so4.5719@fe35.usenetserver.com...

> Oh and by the way... the Do Not Call list has problems as well. Putting
> your number on the list only makes your number off limits to for-profit
> telemarketing calls. Do you realize how many telemarketers have
> switched to getting paid to represent non-profit and political
> endeavors, both of which are NOT covered by DNC, and which ALL of those
> numbers are now publicly available and fair play to telemarketers
> getting paid to market for non-profit agencies? That's right, your cell
> phone number may not have been immediately known to non profit agencies,
> but putting it on the DNC list makes it available and callable to any
> boilerroom that's getting cash to guilt-trip called households to donate
> money to "worthy" causes. Of which half or more of the amount collected
> will go to "overhead" expenses, lining the pockets of telemarketing
> firms who are allowed to profit even if they work for "non-profit"
> agencies. Nice move, moron. :)
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 9:41:58 PM

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message news:cp95f0$dqo$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Michelle Steiner wrote:
>> There's a law against telemarketing to cell phones. The sky is not
>> falling.
>>
>> http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp
>

> All this assumes of course that the whole world lives in the USA.

Do you think foreign-based telemarketers will be calling US consumers?
I really doubt it.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

John Richards wrote:
> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
>> Michelle Steiner wrote:
>>> There's a law against telemarketing to cell phones. The sky is not
>>> falling.
>>>
>>> http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp
>>

>> All this assumes of course that the whole world lives in the USA.
>
> Do you think foreign-based telemarketers will be calling US consumers?
> I really doubt it.

I kind of doubt it too "If you're ever in Frankfurt please give our car wash
a try.". And for foreign telemarketers calling foreign cell phones my
understand is much of Europe is caller pays.

-Quick
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 11:09:38 PM

John Richards wrote:
> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
>> Michelle Steiner wrote:
>>> There's a law against telemarketing to cell phones. The sky is
>>> not falling.
>>>
>>> http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp
>>

>> All this assumes of course that the whole world lives in the USA.
>
> Do you think foreign-based telemarketers will be calling US
> consumers? I really doubt it.

They call UK customers all the time..! Half the world's call centres are
now in India it seems....

Ivor
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 11:09:39 PM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> John Richards wrote:
>
>>"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

>>>All this assumes of course that the whole world lives in the USA.
>>
>>Do you think foreign-based telemarketers will be calling US
>>consumers? I really doubt it.
>

> They call UK customers all the time..! Half the world's call centres are
> now in India it seems....

If it has a US-based ANI, the provider is responsible.

JS
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 11:51:30 PM

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 00:38:43 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com>
wrote:

>In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to
>telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls on
>cell phones. Call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222.
>It is the national Do Not Call list. It blocks your number for 5 years.
>
>Here's the online form:
>https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Just relax, chicken little.
December 10, 2004 12:04:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:41:58 GMT, "John Richards"
<jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote:

>"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message news:cp95f0$dqo$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Michelle Steiner wrote:
>>> There's a law against telemarketing to cell phones. The sky is not
>>> falling.
>>>
>>> http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp
>>

>> All this assumes of course that the whole world lives in the USA.
>
>Do you think foreign-based telemarketers will be calling US consumers?
>I really doubt it.

And why not? International rates between Europe and the US are only
pennies more than making domestic calls. If they think there's
something to be gained by soliciting across the Atlantic there's
really not much to prevent them from doing it. And what makes you
think that it doesn't already happen?!

December 10, 2004 12:06:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:53:22 -0800, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>I kind of doubt it too "If you're ever in Frankfurt please give our car wash
>a try.". And for foreign telemarketers calling foreign cell phones my
>understand is much of Europe is caller pays.

And what makes you think that domestic operations might not take
advantage of foreign cheaper labour costs to market US products?

December 10, 2004 12:08:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:52:46 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com>
wrote:

>Don't forget that cell phones also have text messaging features that
>facilitate another form of spam.

Except you're not dealing with the subject at hand. Go start another
thread about text messaging spam if that's what you're after. This
thread is about telemarketing to cell phones.

December 10, 2004 1:31:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <NoOdnVLAaq6BaCXcRVn-gw@comcast.com>,
"Richard Ness" <richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote:

> Or your worn out sig....("provoking contempt")
> The election is over Michelle, PLEASE maybe enough is enough?...

Impeachment has nothing to do with the election. Clinton's re-election
didn't stop the GOP from their impeachment efforts.

Yes, enough is enough; I've had enough of Bush's malfeasance in office.

December 10, 2004 1:38:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <lvadnVQuIYpiIiXcRVn-iQ@comcast.com> on Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:13:34 -0500,
burris <responder@comcast.net> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>
>> In <2vidnZBpTsQRBiXcRVn-tA@comcast.com> on Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:38:03 -0500,
>> burris <responder@comcast.net> wrote:

>>>http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3158414/
>>
>> Old and inaccurate.
>
>Are you now the guru of telemarketing as well....
>
>Look at the sources and their dates....what is old and inaccurate about
>that?

Oct. 13, 2003 -- over a year old. More current:

"FCC warns telemarketers against calling cell phones"
<http://www.antitelemarketer.com/php/modules.php?name=Ne...;

December 10, 2004 1:38:34 AM

John Navas wrote:

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <lvadnVQuIYpiIiXcRVn-iQ@comcast.com> on Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:13:34 -0500,
> burris <responder@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>John Navas wrote:

>>> Old and inaccurate.
>>
>>Are you now the guru of telemarketing as well....
>>
>>Look at the sources and their dates....what is old and inaccurate about
>>that?
>
> Oct. 13, 2003 -- over a year old. More current:
>
> "FCC warns telemarketers against calling cell phones"
> <http://www.antitelemarketer.com/php/modules.php?name=Ne...;

Why did you only choose the older of the three for your reference?

The NJ article is dated 12/7/04
and the Miami-Ft Lauderdale is dated 11/23/04

And what does the fact that the FCC issues a generic warning to
telemarketers have to do with the fact that it is very likely and most
probable that the telemarketing industry will reach wherever they can.

I see in a later post that another person got some calls. Not only have
I gotten them, but still get an occasional fax attempt as well and the
carrier was unable to trace it.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 2:21:51 AM

Protest wrote:
> And, what are you doing?

Pointing our your stupidity. You pronounce doom and gloom over allowing
people to put cell numbers on a national publicly available list, and
then you ask everyone to remedy that by putting their cell numbers on...
what now? A publicly available, national list of phone numbers? Real
smart.

> Hypocrite!!!

Yup, you've just described yourself pretty damn well.

> I have yet to receive telemarketing calls and
> spam of the sort that you fear.

If I remember correctly, it was YOU who feared telemarketers.

> Anyone with half a brain knows that the chances of
> the registry being sold is much-much less likely than
> the 411 directory.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
December 10, 2004 3:07:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

It's good that SMS spam is actionable. What's not good is
that spam (SMS or not) "can be" sent in such a way that
makes it very difficult to trace the sender of the SMS spam.
Even worse, the sender can be in a different country.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure here.

"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:cpac9t$a2i$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Protest wrote:
> > Don't forget that cell phones also have text messaging features that
> > facilitate another form of spam.
>
> ...And SMS spam is also actionable. An extension to 1991's junk fax laws made
> it illegal. That just happened within the last 12 months, but it *has* happened.
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 3:07:50 AM

Protest wrote:
> It's good that SMS spam is actionable. What's not good is
> that spam (SMS or not) "can be" sent in such a way that
> makes it very difficult to trace the sender of the SMS spam.
> Even worse, the sender can be in a different country.
> An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure here.

A decent amount of filtering is done by the cellular carriers, though. I only
got repeated spam to my Verizon phone from one slimy outfit, about a half-dozen
copies from eCost/PCMall (and the jerkwads claimed they couldn't remove either
of the addresses that forwarded to the phone, because neither was on the list
-- lying bastards). Other than that, and a couple miscellaneous spams, nothing
in four years. I don't believe I've gotten any spam to my Sprint phone in the
six months that I've had it, and my wife hasn't gotten any at all since getting
her first phone back in 2000. So -- the carriers are doing something to deal
with the problem. Could they do a better job? Sure. But my perspective is that
things could be a LOT worse.

December 10, 2004 6:36:01 AM

In <ZeOdndWasreHdCXcRVn-oQ@comcast.com> on Thu, 09 Dec 2004 19:08:56 -0500,
burris <responder@comcast.net> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:

>> "FCC warns telemarketers against calling cell phones"
>> <http://www.antitelemarketer.com/php/modules.php?name=Ne...;

>And what does the fact that the FCC issues a generic warning to
>telemarketers have to do with the fact that it is very likely and most
>probable that the telemarketing industry will reach wherever they can.

Because I don't think that's the case.

>I see in a later post that another person got some calls. ...

Anecdotal posts to Usenet aren't much in the way of evidence. ;-)

December 10, 2004 6:36:55 AM

In <si6ud.31314$zx1.774@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 10 Dec 2004
00:43:04 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote:

>> Old and inaccurate.
>
>Hmmm ... what a convenient way to discredit very reputable sources.
>
>By "old", I take it that you're referring to the following URL:
>
>> >http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3158414/
>
>which was last updated on Oct. 13, 2003 as of today.
>
>If you scroll down to the bottom of the article,
>you will see copyright dates of:
>
>"Copyright 2003 The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc. All rights reserved."
>
>and
>
>"Copyright © 2004 The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc. All rights reserved."
>
>Who knows, with 2005 just around the corner,
>they might add another copyright year.
>
>So long as the information still applies,
>who cares about the date?

The date is 2003, and I've shown how it's inaccurate.

December 10, 2004 6:41:26 AM

In <pN5ud.31300$zx1.5355@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 10 Dec 2004
00:07:49 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote:

>It's good that SMS spam is actionable. What's not good is
>that spam (SMS or not) "can be" sent in such a way that
>makes it very difficult to trace the sender of the SMS spam.
>Even worse, the sender can be in a different country.
>An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure here.

It's actually quite practical for the carrier to trace the origins of SMS
messages.

December 10, 2004 6:52:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 17:00:03 -0800, "Richard Ness"
<richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> chose to add this to the great equation of
life, the universe, and everything:

>Or your worn out sig....("provoking contempt")
>The election is over Michelle, PLEASE maybe enough is enough?...
>

>"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message news:michelle-BB99FD.12052109122004@news.west.cox.net...
>>
>> What is provoking contempt is your "the sky is falling" hysteria.
>>
>> --
>> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.

It's just a sig. Can't you simply ignore it?

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Well don't just stand there -- God's a busy man!" - Capt. James T. Kirk
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:52:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The hope was to take/keep politics where it belongs....
Which is NOT in a cellular newsgroup, but... oh well....
Ignore I will.

(and hope she takes politics somewhere else)

"David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message news:ba7ir05rfbk26ua631i5qv86bc5q0v9cpt@4ax.com...

> It's just a sig. Can't you simply ignore it?

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:52:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <j-KdnQ3-2pIz1yTcRVn-vA@comcast.com>,
"Richard Ness" <richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote:

> The hope was to take/keep politics where it belongs....
> Which is NOT in a cellular newsgroup, but... oh well....
> Ignore I will.
>
> (and hope she takes politics somewhere else)

It is a .sig; it is not the content of the message itself. So, when
reading messages from me, when you reach the sig tear-line ("-- "), stop
reading any further because all that's after that tear-line is the sig.

December 10, 2004 10:06:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You're wrong. Text messaging (or SMS) here requires
the cell number. And, is very pertinent to the subject under
discussion.

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:52:46 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Don't forget that cell phones also have text messaging features that
> >facilitate another form of spam.
>
> Except you're not dealing with the subject at hand. Go start another
> thread about text messaging spam if that's what you're after. This
> thread is about telemarketing to cell phones.

December 10, 2004 10:06:25 AM

Protest wrote:
> You're wrong. Text messaging (or SMS) here requires
> the cell number.

No, it most certainly does not.

At least not with some carriers.

Definitely not with Verizon - they allow you to define an email alias that
forwards to your PhoneNumberWithAreaCode@vtext.com. Probably there are other
carriers that do this too.

December 10, 2004 10:12:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You are clueless about how difficult it can be to
trace the sender of SMS messages.

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <pN5ud.31300$zx1.5355@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 10 Dec 2004
> 00:07:49 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>
> >It's good that SMS spam is actionable. What's not good is
> >that spam (SMS or not) "can be" sent in such a way that
> >makes it very difficult to trace the sender of the SMS spam.
> >Even worse, the sender can be in a different country.
> >An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure here.
>
> It's actually quite practical for the carrier to trace the origins of SMS
> messages.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
December 10, 2004 12:02:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:06:24 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com>
wrote:

>You're wrong. Text messaging (or SMS) here requires
>the cell number. And, is very pertinent to the subject under
>discussion.

Ah, I see you like to play Jeopardy! No, it is not under discussion.
It's telemarketing. Learn the difference between telemarketing and
spamming. They are *not* the same thing. One uses voice the other is
sent through email.

>"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:52:46 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Don't forget that cell phones also have text messaging features that
>> >facilitate another form of spam.
>>
>> Except you're not dealing with the subject at hand. Go start another
>> thread about text messaging spam if that's what you're after. This
>> thread is about telemarketing to cell phones.
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

December 10, 2004 12:53:06 PM

Joseph wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:53:22 -0800, "Quick"
> <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I kind of doubt it too "If you're ever in Frankfurt please give our
>> car wash a try.". And for foreign telemarketers calling foreign
>> cell phones my understand is much of Europe is caller pays.
>
> And what makes you think that domestic operations might not take
> advantage of foreign cheaper labour costs to market US products?

Ahhh, now we're back to US "domestic operations" which would
fall under the do not call penalties.

-Quick
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 5:18:06 PM

In <michelle-B2A60B.22314209122004@news.west.cox.net> on Thu, 09 Dec 2004
22:31:42 -0700, Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

>In article <NoOdnVLAaq6BaCXcRVn-gw@comcast.com>,
> "Richard Ness" <richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote:
>
>> Or your worn out sig....("provoking contempt")
>> The election is over Michelle, PLEASE maybe enough is enough?...
>
>Impeachment has nothing to do with the election. Clinton's re-election
>didn't stop the GOP from their impeachment efforts.
>
>Yes, enough is enough; I've had enough of Bush's malfeasance in office.

Your signature is OK; this posting is not. Please stay on-topic, and keep
politics in a more appropriate forum. Thank you.

December 10, 2004 5:20:24 PM

In <5%bud.31424$zx1.16325@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 10 Dec 2004
07:12:01 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote:

>> In <pN5ud.31300$zx1.5355@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 10 Dec 2004
>> 00:07:49 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>>
>> >It's good that SMS spam is actionable. What's not good is
>> >that spam (SMS or not) "can be" sent in such a way that
>> >makes it very difficult to trace the sender of the SMS spam.
>> >Even worse, the sender can be in a different country.
>> >An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure here.
>>
>> It's actually quite practical for the carrier to trace the origins of SMS
>> messages.

>You are clueless about how difficult it can be to
>trace the sender of SMS messages.

Read more carefully -- I said: "It's actually quite practical for the carrier
to trace the ORIGINS [not sender] of SMS messages." [emphasis added] And it
is, as you would know if you were more familiar with GSM infrastructure,
including SMS gateways.

December 10, 2004 5:21:33 PM

In <cpbk0s$jgm$1@ratbert.glorb.com> on Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:44:57 -0800, Steve
Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>Protest wrote:
>> You're wrong. Text messaging (or SMS) here requires
>> the cell number.
>
>No, it most certainly does not.
>
>At least not with some carriers.
>
>Definitely not with Verizon - they allow you to define an email alias that
>forwards to your PhoneNumberWithAreaCode@vtext.com. Probably there are other
>carriers that do this too.

PhoneNumberWithAreaCode is the "cell number" -- no?

December 10, 2004 5:21:34 PM

John Navas wrote:

> PhoneNumberWithAreaCode is the "cell number" -- no?

Yes, but at least one carrier allows you to have people send you SMS without
ever knowing your phone number. I used to be sjsobol [at] vtext.com as well as
7605551212 [at] vtext.com (and 4405551212 [at] vtext.com when I lived in Ohio;
yes, obviously that's not my real cell phone number, the 760 cell number is
still active and I'm not posting it here, and I don't want to hear any
wisecracks from the peanut gallery) :)

That was with Verizon. I could have given out sjsobol [at] vtext.com all day as
my SMS address and no one would ever have to have known my cell number; better
yet, the alias didn't change when I moved cross-country and received a new number.

December 10, 2004 8:09:52 PM

Joseph wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:06:24 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com>
> wrote:
>

>> You're wrong. Text messaging (or SMS) here requires
>> the cell number. And, is very pertinent to the subject under
>> discussion.
>
> Ah, I see you like to play Jeopardy! No, it is not under
> discussion. It's telemarketing. Learn the difference between
> telemarketing and spamming. They are *not* the same thing. One
> uses voice the other is sent through email.

Agreed. "Spam" is specific to email advertising. Use your spam filters to
block it.

"Telemarketing" involves voice contact. Use an answering machine and
register your phone number with the government registry to stop it.

--

- Philip
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <ALkud.1197$Sp3.862@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Agreed. "Spam" is specific to email advertising.

And to newsgroups.

December 10, 2004 8:31:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:53:06 -0800, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Joseph wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:53:22 -0800, "Quick"
>> <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I kind of doubt it too "If you're ever in Frankfurt please give our
>>> car wash a try.". And for foreign telemarketers calling foreign
>>> cell phones my understand is much of Europe is caller pays.
>>
>> And what makes you think that domestic operations might not take
>> advantage of foreign cheaper labour costs to market US products?
>
>Ahhh, now we're back to US "domestic operations" which would
>fall under the do not call penalties.

But what makes you think that the US has any clout over foreign
jurisdictions?
December 10, 2004 9:27:34 PM

In <cpcp1l$tcf$1@ratbert.glorb.com> on Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:16:53 -0800, Steve
Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>
>> PhoneNumberWithAreaCode is the "cell number" -- no?
>
>Yes, but at least one carrier allows you to have people send you SMS without
>ever knowing your phone number. I used to be sjsobol [at] vtext.com as well as
>7605551212 [at] vtext.com (and 4405551212 [at] vtext.com when I lived in Ohio;
>yes, obviously that's not my real cell phone number, the 760 cell number is
>still active and I'm not posting it here, and I don't want to hear any
>wisecracks from the peanut gallery) :)
>
>That was with Verizon. I could have given out sjsobol [at] vtext.com all day as
>my SMS address and no one would ever have to have known my cell number; better
>yet, the alias didn't change when I moved cross-country and received a new number.

My cell carrier (Cingular) doesn't have that option (AFAIK), but I accomplish
the same thing with a special email address that forwards automatically to my
Cingular SMS gateway address, which has the additional benefit that I can
easily change my special email address to something else if it ever gets
compromised.

December 10, 2004 9:40:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

My point is ... all that is "needed" in order for
telemarketers to send SMS messages is the cell number,
which the 411 directory makes available.

"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:cpbk0s$jgm$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Protest wrote:
> > You're wrong. Text messaging (or SMS) here requires
> > the cell number.
>
> No, it most certainly does not.
>
> At least not with some carriers.
>
> Definitely not with Verizon - they allow you to define an email alias that
> forwards to your PhoneNumberWithAreaCode@vtext.com. Probably there are other
> carriers that do this too.
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:48:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

With people being able to send SMS via email to cell phones now.
These definitions are changing with the times.

> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:06:24 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com>
> wrote:
>

> >You're wrong. Text messaging (or SMS) here requires
> >the cell number. And, is very pertinent to the subject under
> >discussion.
>
> Ah, I see you like to play Jeopardy! No, it is not under discussion.
> It's telemarketing. Learn the difference between telemarketing and
> spamming. They are *not* the same thing. One uses voice the other is
> sent through email.
> >

> >"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Except you're not dealing with the subject at hand. Go start another
> >> thread about text messaging spam if that's what you're after. This
> >> thread is about telemarketing to cell phones.
> >>
> >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

December 10, 2004 9:48:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:48:43 GMT, "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com>
wrote:

>With people being able to send SMS via email to cell phones now.
>These definitions are changing with the times.

Still playing Jeopardy I guess. Spam is still email and telemarketing
is still voice. There is a difference. You need to learn the
difference!

December 10, 2004 10:07:07 PM

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 at 00:48 GMT, <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
> In article <n8Ntd.56440$QJ3.21356@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Protest" <protest@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>
>> In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to
>> telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls on
>> cell phones.
>
> That is not true.
>
> http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Truth (or verification) are not highly-valued qualities in those that
spread mindviruses/memes.

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>