I cant install realplayer

I have Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2Installed). I have downloaded
RealPlayer (which is free) but could not install it properly. In the program
menu it shows but it does not get started. Even it could not be uninstalled
as it shows that uninstaller is unavailable!!!.
I have Windows media player running perfectly.
The error message is - Shell executable program has encountered an unknown
error. So it must close
Can anyone help??
Himadri
2 answers Last reply
More about install realplayer

    Download it again and reinstall. Be sure your virus scanner is turned off
    while installing, as well as any other protection software that interferes
    with script operations.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:45:03 -0800, Himadri Nath wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2Installed). I have downloaded
    > RealPlayer (which is free) but could not install it properly. In the program
    > menu it shows but it does not get started. Even it could not be uninstalled
    > as it shows that uninstaller is unavailable!!!.
    > I have Windows media player running perfectly.
    > The error message is - Shell executable program has encountered an unknown
    > error. So it must close
    > Can anyone help??
    > Himadri

    This appears to be a problem with shlwapi.dll, which can be
    fragmented or corrupt. Try cleaning and defragging system.
    Then turn off all protection software. I have xppro sp2 and
    don't have any problems. Also, if you have dotnetframework
    installed, remove it. Make sure you are logged in as
    administrator.
    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

Realplayer Microsoft Windows XP