I had automatic update turned on only to see what was out there to update.
I want to select my updates. I inadvertently forgot to unselect SP2 when I
wanted to download a fix. Now I am theorizing that everytime I get online,
SP2 starts downloading. How can I stop this. I have the SP2 CD in hand but
am too leerie to install it.

Gerald;
Delete the file referenced in step 5 on this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
That is what ever has already downloaded.

Use this tool to temporarily prevent installation of SP-2 through
Automatic Update:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx

Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist when you are ready for
SP-2:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]