Sporatic Restarts

Can anyone help me, at time when my PC is idle and running XP, the system
restarts without any alert. Any ideas to fix this?
3 answers Last reply
More about sporatic restarts

    oh, im not much of a conputer genius as far as they go, but mine started
    doing that shortly before the power pack went... Its probably dust

    "outsidr54" wrote:

    > Can anyone help me, at time when my PC is idle and running XP, the system
    > restarts without any alert. Any ideas to fix this?

    This can be a sign of overheating or faulty RAM.

    Make sure all cooling fans are working and clean out the dust from inside
    the computer. If the problem persists, try moving your RAM to a different
    slot. You are using top quality RAM that is 100% compatible with your
    computer, right?

    Ted Zieglar

    "outsidr54" <outsidr54@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me, at time when my PC is idle and running XP, the system
    > restarts without any alert. Any ideas to fix this?

    outsidr54 <outsidr54@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Can anyone help me, at time when my PC is idle and running XP, the system
    >restarts without any alert. Any ideas to fix this?

    It could be caused by a "system failure" type error.

    Open Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings
    button in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section.

    In the Startup and Recovery window click on the checkbox for
    "automatically restart" to clear it. Click on Apply and OK as needed
    to exit.

    This should put an end to the spontaneous reboots. However they may
    be replaced by "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP errors and the computer may
    then lock up, requiring a manual power off and restart.

    If the blue screen errors do happen then contents of error message,
    including all of the parameters and any file references, will be a
    direct clue as to the underlying cause of the error.

    You can check out these errors yourself with MVP Jim Eshelman's STOP
    errors web page at http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm or you can
    post the complete information from the error message plus a
    description of exactly what you were doing at the time of the error
    back here.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --