Sporatic Restarts

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
November 18, 2004 12:27:10 AM

Can anyone help me, at time when my PC is idle and running XP, the system
restarts without any alert. Any ideas to fix this?

More about : sporatic restarts

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 2:04:02 AM

oh, im not much of a conputer genius as far as they go, but mine started
doing that shortly before the power pack went... Its probably dust

"outsidr54" wrote:

> Can anyone help me, at time when my PC is idle and running XP, the system
> restarts without any alert. Any ideas to fix this?
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 3:45:02 AM

This can be a sign of overheating or faulty RAM.

Make sure all cooling fans are working and clean out the dust from inside
the computer. If the problem persists, try moving your RAM to a different
slot. You are using top quality RAM that is 100% compatible with your
computer, right?

Ted Zieglar

"outsidr54" <outsidr54@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me, at time when my PC is idle and running XP, the system
> restarts without any alert. Any ideas to fix this?
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 11:21:37 AM

outsidr54 <outsidr54@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can anyone help me, at time when my PC is idle and running XP, the system
>restarts without any alert. Any ideas to fix this?

It could be caused by a "system failure" type error.

Open Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings
button in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section.

In the Startup and Recovery window click on the checkbox for
"automatically restart" to clear it. Click on Apply and OK as needed
to exit.

This should put an end to the spontaneous reboots. However they may
be replaced by "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP errors and the computer may
then lock up, requiring a manual power off and restart.

If the blue screen errors do happen then contents of error message,
including all of the parameters and any file references, will be a
direct clue as to the underlying cause of the error.

You can check out these errors yourself with MVP Jim Eshelman's STOP
errors web page at http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm or you can
post the complete information from the error message plus a
description of exactly what you were doing at the time of the error
back here.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--