How do I get a new AUTOEXEC.NT file???

I am having trouble with running DOS programs. I recently got bombarded with
adware and a few viruses, but managed to remove them. Ever since, I have had
this problem. I searched for it on the microsoft site, but it said you needed
a windows cd. My copy of windows is compleatly legal, but I don't have access
to the cd. Is it possible to get a new autoexec.nt file from somebody?? Or,
what is wrong with it? I get the following message:

C:\DOCUME~1\(my username)\Desktop\the dos file here
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not sutiable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the
application.

What do I need to do to fix this?

PS: Normal programs run fine, just DOS.

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
Program"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Carey Sizer" <Carey Sizer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble with running DOS programs. I recently got bombarded
>with
> adware and a few viruses, but managed to remove them. Ever since, I have
> had
> this problem. I searched for it on the microsoft site, but it said you
> needed
> a windows cd. My copy of windows is compleatly legal, but I don't have
> access
> to the cd. Is it possible to get a new autoexec.nt file from somebody??
> Or,
> what is wrong with it? I get the following message:
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\(my username)\Desktop\the dos file here
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not sutiable for
> running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> What do I need to do to fix this?
>
> PS: Normal programs run fine, just DOS.

Hi

If you haven't got access to the XP CD, see if there is a copy of
AUTOEXEC.NT in the %systemroot%\repair folder. If so, copy it to the
%systemroot%\system32 folder.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Carey Sizer" <Carey Sizer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble with running DOS programs. I recently got bombarded
>with
> adware and a few viruses, but managed to remove them. Ever since, I have
> had
> this problem. I searched for it on the microsoft site, but it said you
> needed
> a windows cd. My copy of windows is compleatly legal, but I don't have
> access
> to the cd. Is it possible to get a new autoexec.nt file from somebody??
> Or,
> what is wrong with it? I get the following message:
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\(my username)\Desktop\the dos file here
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not sutiable for
> running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> What do I need to do to fix this?
>
> PS: Normal programs run fine, just DOS.

opa

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2004

Once you fixed the dotNT files, you may want to set set them Read-Only, so
the next time you start up your DOS application, it does not ruin the files
again.

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> schreef in bericht
> Hi
>
> If you haven't got access to the XP CD, see if there is a copy of
> AUTOEXEC.NT in the %systemroot%\repair folder. If so, copy it to the
> %systemroot%\system32 folder.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Carey Sizer" <Carey Sizer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am having trouble with running DOS programs. I recently got bombarded
>>with
>> adware and a few viruses, but managed to remove them. Ever since, I have
>> had
>> this problem. I searched for it on the microsoft site, but it said you
>> needed
>> a windows cd. My copy of windows is compleatly legal, but I don't have
>> access
>> to the cd. Is it possible to get a new autoexec.nt file from somebody??
>> Or,
>> what is wrong with it? I get the following message:
>>
>> C:\DOCUME~1\(my username)\Desktop\the dos file here
>> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not sutiable for
>> running
>> MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate
>> the
>> application.
>>
>> What do I need to do to fix this?
>>
>> PS: Normal programs run fine, just DOS.

you have neglected to mention what specific operating system you are
laboring under...its important

thanks everyone. I have now fixed the problem (I found a website with an exe
that fixes it as their software needed this to work to run). thanks again

carey