the process 'system' is hogging the cpu

PHi!

On my newly installed HP Omnibook 900b PIII - 128Mb Ram ( Win XP sp2 +
Norton AV 8.1) the process 'system' (Not the process 'System idle') is
constantly using 40-60% cpu even though I have no apps are started.

--
// Johan L

Linköping / Sweden
6 answers Last reply
More about process system hogging

    "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Correct me if I'm wrong but "System Idle Processes" is the amount of CPU
    > available for your computer to run tasks that typically only run when the
    > computer is idle, such as disk indexing.
    >
    > Refer to the following link for more info, and please can people stop
    > blaming everything and anything on spyware and malware...It seems that
    > anytime someone doesn't know what a process is or what it's doing they
    > immediately jump on the bandwagon of "it's a virus!"
    >
    > http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_20798928.html
    >
    > p.s. Admittedly for my above comment the process of scvhost.exe is a
    > malignant process that purports to be or closely resembles a true windows
    > service.

    Had you bothered to read the post before responding to it with a
    non-sequitur you would have realized that the OP specifically said that
    he/she was *not* referring to System Idle.

    I recently reinstalled Win XP sp2 on my HP Omnibook 4150b PIII - 512Mb RAM
    and have the same issue. I have scanned with Norton Antivirus 2005, AdAware,
    and Spybot S&D and have found no significant problems. I did remove what
    minor things were discovered but 'system' process continues to consume
    resources. Any advice would be appreciated.

    "Johan L" wrote:

    > PHi!
    >
    > On my newly installed HP Omnibook 900b PIII - 128Mb Ram ( Win XP sp2 +
    > Norton AV 8.1) the process 'system' (Not the process 'System idle') is
    > constantly using 40-60% cpu even though I have no apps are started.
    >
    > --
    > // Johan L
    >
    > Linköping / Sweden

    Seems to me that We have exactly the same problem. When I Boot up the
    computer everything works just fine but after a while the process 'system' is
    eating up most of the cpu time - even though I dont touch or do anything with
    the machine after pressing the power on button.

    The guys at HP must be aware of this 'bug' I think. I'll try to post this
    issue at hp.com and hopfully they'll have a solution for us soon.

    My guess is that it's some HW driver that's not SP2 compatible.

    If I hear anything from HP, I'll let you know!

    Regs. Johan

    "Jason W" wrote:

    > I recently reinstalled Win XP sp2 on my HP Omnibook 4150b PIII - 512Mb RAM
    > and have the same issue. I have scanned with Norton Antivirus 2005, AdAware,
    > and Spybot S&D and have found no significant problems. I did remove what
    > minor things were discovered but 'system' process continues to consume
    > resources. Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > "Johan L" wrote:
    >
    > > PHi!
    > >
    > > On my newly installed HP Omnibook 900b PIII - 128Mb Ram ( Win XP sp2 +
    > > Norton AV 8.1) the process 'system' (Not the process 'System idle') is
    > > constantly using 40-60% cpu even though I have no apps are started.
    > >
    > > --
    > > // Johan L
    > >
    > > Linköping / Sweden

    LOL!

    And some peopele even don't now that theres a process called 'system' they
    just keep on reffering to 'system idle'.....mabye their ridin' the bandwagon?

    ;-)

    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:

    > "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Correct me if I'm wrong but "System Idle Processes" is the amount of CPU
    > > available for your computer to run tasks that typically only run when the
    > > computer is idle, such as disk indexing.
    > >
    > > Refer to the following link for more info, and please can people stop
    > > blaming everything and anything on spyware and malware...It seems that
    > > anytime someone doesn't know what a process is or what it's doing they
    > > immediately jump on the bandwagon of "it's a virus!"
    > >
    > > http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_20798928.html
    > >
    > > p.s. Admittedly for my above comment the process of scvhost.exe is a
    > > malignant process that purports to be or closely resembles a true windows
    > > service.
    > >

    > Had you bothered to read the post before responding to it with a
    > non-sequitur you would have realized that the OP specifically said that
    > he/she was *not* referring to System Idle.

    Hi,

    Have you checked for spyware/adware? They are usually the culprit in these
    cases

    Jeff

    "Johan L" <JohanL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > PHi!
    >
    > On my newly installed HP Omnibook 900b PIII - 128Mb Ram ( Win XP sp2 +
    > Norton AV 8.1) the process 'system' (Not the process 'System idle') is
    > constantly using 40-60% cpu even though I have no apps are started.
    >
    > --
    > // Johan L
    >
    > Linköping / Sweden

    My utmost apologies :|

    I did do the post at 1am :(

    > LOL!
    >
    > And some peopele even don't now that theres a process called 'system' they
    > just keep on reffering to 'system idle'.....mabye their ridin' the
    > bandwagon?
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:
    >

    >> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Correct me if I'm wrong but "System Idle Processes" is the amount of
    >> > CPU
    >> > available for your computer to run tasks that typically only run when
    >> > the
    >> > computer is idle, such as disk indexing.
    >> >
    >> > Refer to the following link for more info, and please can people stop
    >> > blaming everything and anything on spyware and malware...It seems that
    >> > anytime someone doesn't know what a process is or what it's doing they
    >> > immediately jump on the bandwagon of "it's a virus!"
    >> >
    >> > http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_20798928.html
    >> >
    >> > p.s. Admittedly for my above comment the process of scvhost.exe is a
    >> > malignant process that purports to be or closely resembles a true
    >> > windows
    >> > service.
    >> >

    >> Had you bothered to read the post before responding to it with a
    >> non-sequitur you would have realized that the OP specifically said that
    >> he/she was *not* referring to System Idle.

Hewlett Packard CPUs Windows XP