Can I give away my Everquest Evolution disks?

Now that I am playing Everquest II, is it possible to give away my
Everquest Evolution disks to somebody else who might want to play? My
Brother would like this game and with a machine that has fewer
resources, he likely could not play Everquest II anyway. Can I give him
the disks and let him setup his own account, or will they not allow him
to setup the account since I have already used the CD Key? What if my
account is inactive [it will be on Jan 5, 2005]?

Thanks in advance!

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

On 07 Dec 2004 17:02:01 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Now that I am playing Everquest II, is it possible to give away my
>Everquest Evolution disks to somebody else who might want to play? My
>Brother would like this game and with a machine that has fewer
>resources, he likely could not play Everquest II anyway. Can I give him
>the disks and let him setup his own account, or will they not allow him
>to setup the account since I have already used the CD Key? What if my
>account is inactive [it will be on Jan 5, 2005]?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Once the CD key is used, it's worthless. ( I like how the EQ2 account
setup puts it. Something along the lines of "Key consumption" when you
enter the key. >< ) No, he can't buy just a key, either. Basically, if
you quit playing, you have a bunch of neat silver coasters.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Now that I am playing Everquest II, is it possible to give away my
> Everquest Evolution disks to somebody else who might want to play?
My
> Brother would like this game and with a machine that has fewer
> resources, he likely could not play Everquest II anyway. Can I give
him
> the disks and let him setup his own account, or will they not allow
him
> to setup the account since I have already used the CD Key? What if
my
> account is inactive [it will be on Jan 5, 2005]?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Thomas T. Veldhouse
> Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
> Spammers please contact me at renegade@veldy.net.

Too bad you didn't do this a few months ago when SOE had a sort of
invite a friend month. They emailed users a key that could be used to
set up an account using any EQ Cds to install the base files. That's
all long over with.

=30=

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in news:41b5e209$0$58273
$8046368a@newsreader.iphouse.net:

> Now that I am playing Everquest II, is it possible to give away my
> Everquest Evolution disks to somebody else who might want to play? My
> Brother would like this game and with a machine that has fewer
> resources, he likely could not play Everquest II anyway. Can I give him
> the disks and let him setup his own account, or will they not allow him
> to setup the account since I have already used the CD Key? What if my
> account is inactive [it will be on Jan 5, 2005]?
>
> Thanks in advance!

You'd have to give him your account as well, he cannot set up a new account
with the CD key you used already. I would not be surprised if this
information is in the FAQ btw, it's been asked soooo many times here.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 17 Dwarven Shaman, 14 Scholar

In <41b5e209$0$58273$8046368a@newsreader.iphouse.net> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> writes:

> ... or will they not allow him to setup the account since I have already
> used the CD Key?

Bingo.

The CDs are worthless without an account.

--
John Gordon "Between BST melee, their spells, their warders' melee,
gordon@panix.com and their warders' procs, they put out enough damage

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
> > Now that I am playing Everquest II, is it possible to give away my
> > Everquest Evolution disks to somebody else who might want to play?
>
> You'd have to give him your account as well, he cannot set up a new account
> with the CD key you used already. I would not be surprised if this
> information is in the FAQ btw, it's been asked soooo many times here.

Hm, not really. Under "What do I need to play the game?", the FAQ
mentions needing "a valid EverQuest account", but that's a pretty
indirect way of saying "you need to buy another set of disks to get
a CD key so you can open an account".

I'll make a note to add a question about re-using disks.

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 50 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 38 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

While digging out a new addition to the Den, DaFox found a scrap of parchment. On it,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Now that I am playing Everquest II, is it possible to give away my
>Everquest Evolution disks to somebody else who might want to play? My
>Brother would like this game and with a machine that has fewer
>resources, he likely could not play Everquest II anyway. Can I give him
>the disks and let him setup his own account, or will they not allow him
>to setup the account since I have already used the CD Key? What if my
>account is inactive [it will be on Jan 5, 2005]?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Give your brother the CD's and your login name and password.
He will need to install the game and patch, then all he has to do is enter your old
login/pass and from there he is set. When your current billing cycle is over, all he
has to do is enter his creditcard/payment info and re-active it. If you want him to
save you current characters, all he has to do it chose a different server and he will
have all character slots open, otherwise he could us one or more of your character
slots ( if available ) to make new characters or use yours.

As others have said, a CD key can only be used once ever to set up an account.

--

Dira Idgit , Gnomish Necromancer at large.
Cazic Thule

DaFox wrote:
> While digging out a new addition to the Den, DaFox found a scrap of parchment. On it,
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Now that I am playing Everquest II, is it possible to give away my
>>Everquest Evolution disks to somebody else who might want to play? My
>>Brother would like this game and with a machine that has fewer
>>resources, he likely could not play Everquest II anyway. Can I give him
>>the disks and let him setup his own account, or will they not allow him
>>to setup the account since I have already used the CD Key? What if my
>>account is inactive [it will be on Jan 5, 2005]?
>>
>>Thanks in advance!
>

> Give your brother the CD's and your login name and password.
> He will need to install the game and patch, then all he has to do is enter your old
> login/pass and from there he is set. When your current billing cycle is over, all he
> has to do is enter his creditcard/payment info and re-active it. If you want him to
> save you current characters, all he has to do it chose a different server and he will
> have all character slots open, otherwise he could us one or more of your character
> slots ( if available ) to make new characters or use yours.
>
> As others have said, a CD key can only be used once ever to set up an account.

Problem is, if you used the same station account for EQ2, you are making
your EQ2 account 'vunerable'. Vunerable how? If the brother loans his
password out to his new guildmates, etc...

Plus I think at that point you are doing an all access pass, not two
accounts.

John Gordon <gordon@panix.com> wrote:
>> ... or will they not allow him to setup the account since I have already
>> used the CD Key?
>
> Bingo.
>
> The CDs are worthless without an account.

Further more, they appear to be worthless without the original account
that was originally setup.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

> Once the CD key is used, it's worthless. ( I like how the EQ2 account
> setup puts it. Something along the lines of "Key consumption" when you
> enter the key. >< ) No, he can't buy just a key, either. Basically, if
> you quit playing, you have a bunch of neat silver coasters.

The nice thing is that you can always go back to it months later. I did
that, liked what I saw, and immediately upgraded to Everquest II :)

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Tyas <tyas_mt@hotplonkmail.commies> wrote:

> Problem is, if you used the same station account for EQ2, you are making
> your EQ2 account 'vunerable'. Vunerable how? If the brother loans his
> password out to his new guildmates, etc...
>
> Plus I think at that point you are doing an all access pass, not two
> accounts.

I used a new account. I didn't give me an option to chose an existing
account and it didn't allow me to enter my old account name when I
registered ... I was forced to use a new account.

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Tyas <tyas_mt@hotplonkmail.commies> wrote:
>
>>Problem is, if you used the same station account for EQ2, you are making
>>your EQ2 account 'vunerable'. Vunerable how? If the brother loans his
>>password out to his new guildmates, etc...
>>
>>Plus I think at that point you are doing an all access pass, not two
>>accounts.
>

> I used a new account. I didn't give me an option to chose an existing
> account and it didn't allow me to enter my old account name when I
> registered ... I was forced to use a new account.

Odd

Still you could give away the old EQ account with little regret then.

> Tyas <tyas_mt@hotplonkmail.commies> wrote:
>>>
>> Problem is, if you used the same station account for EQ2, you are
>> making your EQ2 account 'vunerable'. Vunerable how? If the brother
>> loans his password out to his new guildmates, etc...
>>
>> Plus I think at that point you are doing an all access pass, not two
>> accounts.
>
> I used a new account. I didn't give me an option to chose an existing
> account and it didn't allow me to enter my old account name when I
> registered ... I was forced to use a new account.

I set it up with the same account as my EQ1, just by entering that
information when asked for an account and password.

--

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

> I set it up with the same account as my EQ1, just by entering that
> information when asked for an account and password.

For me it said that my [EQ1] account was "not available". I had to
choose a new account. Bastards ;-)

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in news:41b7764f$0$181
$8046368a@newsreader.iphouse.net:

> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>>
>> I set it up with the same account as my EQ1, just by entering that
>> information when asked for an account and password.
>>

> For me it said that my [EQ1] account was "not available". I had to
> choose a new account. Bastards ;-)

I think I first switched my billing to the pass thingy, that could be why,
or else it asked me what billing option I wanted, don't really recall off
hand.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 17 Dwarven Shaman, 14 Scholar

Tyas <tyas_mt@hotplonkmail.commies> wrote:

> Odd
>
> Still you could give away the old EQ account with little regret then.

Yes indeed!

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Don Woods wrote:

> I'll make a note to add a question about re-using disks.

I don't know if I've said this yet, but thank you for taking over the
FAQ so that I don't have to do this sort of thing anymore!

--
Annie

In EQII:

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

_______

If you can't figure out my email address, you're not supposed to write me.