HDD not recognized by puter?.....HELP!!!

Got myself an ebay special Compaq Presario 12XL300 Laptop minus hard drive.
I've tried to install 3 known good hard drives and none are recognized in
the bios and I get the message "Operating system not found" on boot. Any
suggestions besides staying away from ebay?
GMAN
8 answers Last reply
More about recognized puter help

    yah set your drive to cable select , the CDROM is hogging the IDE
    chain

    >Got myself an ebay special Compaq Presario 12XL300 Laptop minus hard drive.
    >I've tried to install 3 known good hard drives and none are recognized in
    >the bios and I get the message "Operating system not found" on boot. Any
    >suggestions besides staying away from ebay?
    >GMAN

    In a laptop?

    Personally, I'd suspect a bad motherboard I'd return it!
    "Sharmon" <on@request.com> wrote in message
    > yah set your drive to cable select , the CDROM is hogging the IDE
    > chain
    >
    > >Got myself an ebay special Compaq Presario 12XL300 Laptop minus hard
    drive.
    > >I've tried to install 3 known good hard drives and none are recognized in
    > >the bios and I get the message "Operating system not found" on boot. Any
    > >suggestions besides staying away from ebay?
    > >GMAN

    Yes the CDROM and HDD are both IDE and should be cable select . This
    would matter if it was only 1 IDE device

    >In a laptop?
    >
    >Personally, I'd suspect a bad motherboard I'd return it!
    >"Sharmon" <on@request.com> wrote in message
    >> yah set your drive to cable select , the CDROM is hogging the IDE
    >> chain
    >>
    >> >Got myself an ebay special Compaq Presario 12XL300 Laptop minus hard
    >drive.
    >> >I've tried to install 3 known good hard drives and none are recognized in
    >> >the bios and I get the message "Operating system not found" on boot. Any
    >> >suggestions besides staying away from ebay?
    >> >GMAN

    I've never even SEEN a jumper on a laptop hard drive or laptop cd drive.
    > Yes the CDROM and HDD are both IDE and should be cable select . This
    > would matter if it was only 1 IDE device
    >
    > >In a laptop?
    > >
    > >Personally, I'd suspect a bad motherboard I'd return it!
    > >"Sharmon" <on@request.com> wrote in message
    > >> yah set your drive to cable select , the CDROM is hogging the IDE
    > >> chain

    > >drive.
    Any

    >I've never even SEEN a jumper on a laptop hard drive or laptop cd drive.

    In my very limited experience on old laptops neither have I. Curious
    though...what is the mode a laptop operates in...standard IDE Master/Slave, or
    Cable Select? I'd guess IDE M/S, as that what I had to use when adding HDDs
    and CDROMS to base expansion units for older laptops I have. (Not that any of
    this has anything to do with the original poster's problem--I just wanted to
    add a tidbit of interesting info to my "knowledge".

    As for the original problem, try a CMOS reset, or could be a bad data cable.
    Worse case, bad systemboard...

    Dale

    Dale
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    DEJ57 wrote:
    >>I've never even SEEN a jumper on a laptop hard drive or laptop cd drive.
    >

    > In my very limited experience on old laptops neither have I. Curious
    > though...what is the mode a laptop operates in...standard IDE Master/Slave, or
    > Cable Select? I'd guess IDE M/S, as that what I had to use when adding HDDs
    > and CDROMS to base expansion units for older laptops I have. (Not that any of
    > this has anything to do with the original poster's problem--I just wanted to
    > add a tidbit of interesting info to my "knowledge".
    >
    > As for the original problem, try a CMOS reset, or could be a bad data cable.
    > Worse case, bad systemboard...
    >
    > Dale
    >
    > Dale

    Looking just to the right of the 43 connector pins on a laptop drive
    (Travelstar DADA-26480) are 4 pins, which can be selected with a jumper
    for "Device0", "Device1", or "Cable Sel."...
    My laptops came standard as "Device0" for the main C:\drive...

    Willard :)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    As I said most (not all) Compaqs are cable select and if you set it
    to 0 or 1 it will not work with the CDROM in

    >DEJ57 wrote:
    >>>I've never even SEEN a jumper on a laptop hard drive or laptop cd drive.
    >>

    >> In my very limited experience on old laptops neither have I. Curious
    >> though...what is the mode a laptop operates in...standard IDE Master/Slave, or
    >> Cable Select? I'd guess IDE M/S, as that what I had to use when adding HDDs
    >> and CDROMS to base expansion units for older laptops I have. (Not that any of
    >> this has anything to do with the original poster's problem--I just wanted to
    >> add a tidbit of interesting info to my "knowledge".
    >>
    >> As for the original problem, try a CMOS reset, or could be a bad data cable.
    >> Worse case, bad systemboard...
    >>
    >> Dale
    >>
    >> Dale
    >
    >Looking just to the right of the 43 connector pins on a laptop drive
    >(Travelstar DADA-26480) are 4 pins, which can be selected with a jumper
    >for "Device0", "Device1", or "Cable Sel."...
    >My laptops came standard as "Device0" for the main C:\drive...
    >
    >Willard :)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Verdict is in, it was a bad motherboard, hard drive was set to CS, bios was
    set to auto. Thanks for the help.
    GMAN

    "DavidG35" <DavidG35@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote in message
    > Got myself an ebay special Compaq Presario 12XL300 Laptop minus hard
    drive.
    > I've tried to install 3 known good hard drives and none are recognized in
    > the bios and I get the message "Operating system not found" on boot. Any
    > suggestions besides staying away from ebay?
    > GMAN

Compaq Hard Drives Ebay Computers