Push to talk

Has anyone heard when Verizons Push To Talk will be as fast as Nextels and
when are they going to re-launch it? Thought about switching to Nextel just
because of their Direct Connect service.
5 answers Last reply
More about push talk

    "Justin" <jud90@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone heard when Verizons Push To Talk will be as fast as Nextels and
    > when are they going to re-launch it? Thought about switching to Nextel
    just
    > because of their Direct Connect service.

    Just out of curiousity what is interesting about having a walkie talkie? I
    used walkie talkies and other simplex radios in the past and always found it
    annoying not to be able to have a real conversation and thought it was great
    when cell phones came out thus allowing full duplex conversations..

    George wrote:
    > "Justin" <jud90@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Has anyone heard when Verizons Push To Talk will be as fast as Nextels and
    >>when are they going to re-launch it? Thought about switching to Nextel
    >
    > just
    >
    >>because of their Direct Connect service.
    >>

    > Just out of curiousity what is interesting about having a walkie talkie? I
    > used walkie talkies and other simplex radios in the past and always found it
    > annoying not to be able to have a real conversation and thought it was great
    > when cell phones came out thus allowing full duplex conversations..

    Its worse - you get to click and wait for the beep before you can talk.
    This goes for Nextel and every other PTT system.

    Nothing like going BACKWARDS.

    JS

    "Justin" <jud90@verizon.net> pounded on the keyboard and wrote:

    >Has anyone heard when Verizons Push To Talk will be as fast as Nextels and
    >when are they going to re-launch it? Thought about switching to Nextel just
    >because of their Direct Connect service.

    The PTT software improvement was supposed to have been released in November.

    I am a business user and manage 60 phones for my fire department. We are
    anxiously waiting for Verizon to "get as good as Nextel."

    I was in the local Circuit City store on Saturday and thought I'd ask the
    salesperson when the "upgrade" would be out. He told me that the upgrade
    was already out.

    When I got to work on Monday, I am still waiting to hear.

    Brian
    Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
    Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
    B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
    Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
    Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
    "Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:29:17 -0600, Jacob Suter <j4k3@ezho.org> wrote:

    >Its worse - you get to click and wait for the beep before you can talk.
    >This goes for Nextel and every other PTT system.
    >
    >Nothing like going BACKWARDS.

    You've obviously never used a trunked radio system.

    The 'wait for beep' can often be better than transmitting and finding
    out you didn't make the system at all.

    Evan

    Evan,

    For the past four years, I has assisted in the management of a M/A-Com
    EDACS trunking system... In 12 years that we have had the system, I
    can only recall getting the "qued" beep two or three times.

    Brian

Verizon Connection Nextel Internet Service Providers