Sign in with
Your question
Closed

BF3 Crashing Computer, Power Problem?

Last response: in Video Games
November 3, 2011 7:18:49 AM

Like quite a few others I am having a problem with BattleField 3. It happens when I start playing Multiplayer, once I choose a map to play and it launches the game, after the loading screen when I can choose what class to play I have from 0 seconds to 5 minutes before my computer will deside to just crash on me.
What happens: when it 'crashes' everything freezes, it just gets stuck on the last frame that was displayed and at the same time my speakers make a buzzing sound (volume controlable with the volume dial on my speakers, if I turn my speakers off it stops). Nothing works; there is no BSOD I cannot Ctrl-Alt-Del, nothing. I have to just reset my computer via the reset button on my case (or hold down the power button).

My specs:
  • Intel Core i7 860
  • AMD Radeon HD 6950
  • Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD5
  • 4GB 1333 (I think) RAM
    and where I think the problem might be:
  • Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 650W

I have tryed updating the drivers and repairing the BF3 game via origin client (don't know if this would do anything). But as you can see nothing has helped. :( 

Some other possibly usefull info:
    My computer when it is not doing anything (idle):

When it crashes:

Sorry I had to take a picture of my screen but... yeah nothing works when it crashes

This has never happened to me before, I have run other games at their highest (Global Agenda, TF2, HL2, Minecraft, LF Dead, RA3) but as you can tell none of then really would require the processsing power that of BF3 at ultra. So I cannot really tell if it's BF3 itself or I have had this problem all along but nothing has really ticked it off untill a game like this came along.

BF3 Settings:
    When I first ran BF3 I (naturally) set everything to its highest. I have also set everything to the lowest possible settings with VSync and it still crashes (the picture above is with BF3 at lowest w VSync)

I hope someone can help me, Thanks.
    November 4, 2011 11:40:00 PM

Does anyone have any idea? :??: 
    Score
    November 5, 2011 3:37:47 PM

Which version of your video card are you using?
    Update and see if the problem persists.
    Score
    Related resources
    November 5, 2011 4:08:43 PM

you've only got a 36amp PSU (on 12V), does anyone know how many Amps the 6950 needs?
    Just had a look at 3 600W PSU, all have 48-50amps.
    Score
    November 6, 2011 4:09:26 AM

I've got the same PSU as he does, only his is 650W and mines a 600.
    This PSU isn't top of the line at all (my 600W). It delivers only 18A on both +12V1 and +12v2 rails. Total of 36A.
    It should be enough to power a HD 6950 though.
    Score
    November 7, 2011 1:32:02 AM

It's not your system it's happening to a lot of people. The best guess atm is a conflict with audio drivers.
    Score
    Anonymous
    November 8, 2011 1:06:35 AM

I have the fix to all the crashes in bf3 :) 
    Make sure to close down bf3 and origin! Origin must not be running!! Then go to your control panel, and press remove program, mark punkbuster, and delete punkbuster. A popup window appers, press finish. Then Reboot your computer. Start Origin, and then RIGHT-CLIK on bf3, and choce repair. Let it do it`s thing, and when finish, the game runs perfectly :) 

Posted by: XcsoX
    Score
    Anonymous
    November 8, 2011 1:08:10 AM

watermelonpizza said:
    Does anyone have any idea? :??: 

I have the fix to all the crashes in bf3 :) 
    Make sure to close down bf3 and origin! Origin must not be running!! Then go to your control panel, and press remove program, mark punkbuster, and delete punkbuster. A popup window appers, press finish. Then Reboot your computer. Start Origin, and then RIGHT-CLIK on bf3, and choce repair. Let it do it`s thing, and when finish, the game runs perfectly :) 

Posted by: XcsoX
    Score
    November 8, 2011 7:27:39 AM

Glad to see that you've sorted this one out. :) 
    Score
    Anonymous
    November 8, 2011 10:44:24 AM

Thanks :)  it wasn't easy; so when it finaly pays off it feels so damn nice :)  :)  :) 
    Score
    November 8, 2011 11:36:31 AM

you said the screenshot is of your idle temperatures. what are the max temperatures at full load?
    is anything on your system OC'ed?
    what driver version are you running?
    Score
    November 8, 2011 11:41:17 AM

AntiZig said:
    you said the screenshot is of your idle temperatures. what are the max temperatures at full load?
    is anything on your system OC'ed?
    what driver version are you running?

errm, its fixed
    Score
    November 8, 2011 3:07:56 PM

I haven't seen the op reply that it's fixed, so your point?
    Score
    November 8, 2011 3:19:23 PM

been so long since the OP said anything that I thought XcsoX was the OP.
    Score
    November 28, 2011 10:37:49 AM

How u fix it i do that delet the punk buster and repair but didnt works and i have the same problem my machine stuck and do a ugly sound and i need to restart by pc buttun >.<
    Score
    !