Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

So Origin collects all your data While you play BF3

Last response: in Video Games
Share
November 3, 2011 7:28:15 AM

Is it really as bad as some people say?? Does it take information from anywhere on your PC and how is that legal if it does??
November 3, 2011 5:42:49 PM

NoobNeb said:
Is it really as bad as some people say?? Does it take information from anywhere on your PC and how is that legal if it does??


It is legal if you accept the EULA that is attached to Origin... I don't think it is that bad, but I don't keep anything stored on my gaming rig in the first place... so yeah.
November 3, 2011 6:35:11 PM

seems the pirates dont like this origin either. they have released a version of the bf3.exe that bypasses origin all together... and guess what its only available for legitimate owners of the game. if you have a pirated copy you still cant play multiplayer :lol: 
Related resources
November 3, 2011 6:38:59 PM

At first it stated they could sell the data they collect to 3rd parties, however with the response the community gave they silently changed it saying they could just collect the data. I still find it unreasonable that they do this, i don't mind the fact they do it as many other services do however they actually have the option to disable it. ( Steam )

Send an email to EA telling them what you think, it's completely unacceptable for them to do this.

This link pretty much sums stuff up http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/js51f/ea_origin... I'm not exactly worried about it to be honest, just don't agree with it. Not going to stop me playing this awesome game anyways ^^.
November 3, 2011 6:48:23 PM

as far as i know in the uk this is illegal. due to the data protection act.
November 3, 2011 6:50:47 PM

HEXiT said:
as far as i know in the uk this is illegal. due to the data protection act.


:o  You serious? This is very good news indeed. Finally can get EA knocked back a bit. However what part? the collection, or the selling? as they now state that they don't sell the data.
November 3, 2011 11:25:19 PM

i think its covers both collecting and selling... any personally identifiable data on your pc is considered private so should be protected by law. i dunno how the law stands in America, but in the uk im pretty sure origin would be considered illegal in some way.
November 4, 2011 1:03:54 AM

If EA/Dice do sell on my personal info im not worried, If they want my holiday snaps of the Bahamas and my poorly written historical romance then so be it. It is a bit shitty of them but hey im enjoying their game, if they want to enjoy looking at my scrawny pale body in a sarong then ok!

November 4, 2011 2:56:27 AM

I don't like anyone or any company data mining my PC. I will assume that Mass Effect 3 will also use Origin as well.

I hate to say it, but I will probably not buy Mass Effect 3 until a crack is released to bypass Origins.
November 4, 2011 4:36:11 AM

jamesvini said:
If EA/Dice do sell on my personal info im not worried, If they want my holiday snaps of the Bahamas and my poorly written historical romance then so be it. It is a bit shitty of them but hey im enjoying their game, if they want to enjoy looking at my scrawny pale body in a sarong then ok!

you cant be serious... sarcasm aside it is a privacy matter. the police cant look at your pc without a warrant. so why should a private company be able to... you can say well i have nothing to hide so im not bothered... well thats just giving your freedoms away. freedoms that people died fighting for... these companies think they are above the law and use the eulas to justify infringing on your privacey...

e.a didnt make battle field 3, dice did. e.a just sell it. origin has nothing to do with the game, proven by the crackers who have the game working without it. so really whats the point of it?.

they give you a few icons and buttons and you hand over your private data so they can use it as they see fit???... all e.a have done is added malware to a game and demand you have it running so that they can, i guess selectively send you adverts to sell you even more grap, even when your playing games.

November 6, 2011 11:21:27 PM

HEXiT said:
you cant be serious... sarcasm aside it is a privacy matter. the police cant look at your pc without a warrant. so why should a private company be able to... you can say well i have nothing to hide so im not bothered... well thats just giving your freedoms away. freedoms that people died fighting for... these companies think they are above the law and use the eulas to justify infringing on your privacey...

e.a didnt make battle field 3, dice did. e.a just sell it. origin has nothing to do with the game, proven by the crackers who have the game working without it. so really whats the point of it?.

they give you a few icons and buttons and you hand over your private data so they can use it as they see fit???... all e.a have done is added malware to a game and demand you have it running so that they can, i guess selectively send you adverts to sell you even more grap, even when your playing games.


I totally understand what your saying, but for me personally I have no qualms. I understand that anything I do online is putting my self in the public domain, this is why I do all my personal stuff on my netbook and all my gaming/origin on my PC. When I do foray into facebook or any other personal web site I never give personal info, and never upload photos that i wouldn't want my neighbor to see.
I'm sorry my previous post was a bit misleading, its not that i don't care about my digital freedoms, I just understand that no matter how much you boycott and rage against there will always be an entity doing what origin is doing.

I can see that they are just trying to emulate steam and their success and the UI is not as rage inducing as say Windows Live.

So in summary, Good on them for tying to make something that looks good and might work, bad on them for trying to steal our data and if its not them then its facebook or google+ doing the dirty.

Cheers
P.S. I dont think anyone has died for my digital freedom? I live in Australia/New Zealand so maybe that doesn't apply to me.
November 7, 2011 1:30:20 AM

It's not illegal and Steam does it as well.
November 7, 2011 4:37:33 AM

Yeah, you agreed with the EULA, so they can collect your data.
!