Wi-Fi Asterisk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_spectabulous

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
New Windows 7 user and I am connected to the internet via the wireless network so it is definitely connected and still fast, however I see an orange asterisk on the wireless icon instead of the usual signal strength.

Is VPN access on my separate work PC causing this?

Solution
Many, many hours of searching and I finally found the SOLUTION and it is SIMPLE to do (forget the WMI rebuild):

On Win 7 - go to Network Sharing; left side of page, select Manage Wireless Networks> Highlight one at a time and REMOVE ALL NETWORKS IN THE LIST (don't worry, you can reconnect later).

Reboot your computer, select your wireless network and connect (if secure, input your passphrase).

NO MORE GOLD ASTERISK!!!

(note: I never got it on XP)

I conclude that the OS (Win 7 in my case) keeps track of networks you have connected to along the way. Then the asterisk is posted to make you aware that OTHER (prior connected) NETWORKS ARE AVAILABLE - this does not mean those networks in the wireless network list in the Systray -

It...

mr_spectabulous

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I found some forum stating the following:

To resolve this problem, you must scan and repair the WMI Repository Database on the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

At the command prompt, type the following commands. Pressing ENTER after each command line:

winmgmt /verifyrepository
winmgmt /salvagerepository

Restart the computer.

This doesn't help me however because after I send the first command it tells me "WMI repository verification failed". I'd appreciate any info how to get rid of this nuisance. Thank you.

MrB45

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Many, many hours of searching and I finally found the SOLUTION and it is SIMPLE to do (forget the WMI rebuild):

On Win 7 - go to Network Sharing; left side of page, select Manage Wireless Networks> Highlight one at a time and REMOVE ALL NETWORKS IN THE LIST (don't worry, you can reconnect later).

Reboot your computer, select your wireless network and connect (if secure, input your passphrase).

NO MORE GOLD ASTERISK!!!

(note: I never got it on XP)

I conclude that the OS (Win 7 in my case) keeps track of networks you have connected to along the way. Then the asterisk is posted to make you aware that OTHER (prior connected) NETWORKS ARE AVAILABLE - this does not mean those networks in the wireless network list in the Systray -

It DOES MEAN that more than one network has been connected to prior and is now listed in Network Sharing and therefore more than one is available.

Thanks to the one soul who posted the simple solution in a forum - sorry I didn't capture the name! That asterisk bugs the heck out of any person who monitors the health of their wireless system but actually means very little.

MS couldn't come up with a better way OR give a simple explanation? Not in any forum I visited including MS Technet nor Tom's Hardware, Major Geek or several others. Cheers one and all and good riddance to the gold asterisk!

Happy Computing!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.