Making defrag faster?

November 18, 2004 9:01:02 PM

I have a 2 ghz with 1 gig of ram and 70 gig/7200 rpm hard drive. Whenever I
try to defrag it takes like 4 hrs for entire process to complete. It doesn't
matter if i defrag every day or every month, the process takes the same time.
My brother has a computer with about the same configrations and he can
defrag in like 30 mins. How can i speed up my defrag process??? Please
help!!!

Thanks

More about : making defrag faster

November 19, 2004 12:29:02 AM

"ashu" wrote:

> I have a 2 ghz with 1 gig of ram and 70 gig/7200 rpm hard drive. Whenever I
> try to defrag it takes like 4 hrs for entire process to complete. It doesn't
> matter if i defrag every day or every month, the process takes the same time.
> My brother has a computer with about the same configrations and he can
> defrag in like 30 mins. How can i speed up my defrag process??? Please
> help!!!
>
> Thanks

If I defrag manually it takes all of 40 to 50 seconds but with this product
I have it setup to defrag whenever the screensaver turns on.
http://www.execsoft.co.uk/home/html/home/diskeeper/disk...
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 1:50:18 AM

If you are using the same operating systems and the same defrag utility,
whether Windows' own or that of a third party, and in both cases there is no
other software running in the background, the length of time needed for
defragmentation varies only with the extent of fragmentation.

Ted Zieglar

"ashu" <ashu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 2 ghz with 1 gig of ram and 70 gig/7200 rpm hard drive. Whenever
> try to defrag it takes like 4 hrs for entire process to complete. It
> doesn't
> matter if i defrag every day or every month, the process takes the same
> time.
> My brother has a computer with about the same configrations and he can
> defrag in like 30 mins. How can i speed up my defrag process??? Please
> help!!!
>
> Thanks

November 19, 2004 9:54:57 AM

"defrag whenever the screensaver turns on"

Why on earth?

Ted Zieglar

"MAP" <MAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "ashu" wrote:
>
>> I have a 2 ghz with 1 gig of ram and 70 gig/7200 rpm hard drive.
>> Whenever I
>> try to defrag it takes like 4 hrs for entire process to complete. It
>> doesn't
>> matter if i defrag every day or every month, the process takes the same
>> time.
>> My brother has a computer with about the same configrations and he can
>> defrag in like 30 mins. How can i speed up my defrag process??? Please
>> help!!!
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> If I defrag manually it takes all of 40 to 50 seconds but with this
> product
> I have it setup to defrag whenever the screensaver turns on.
> http://www.execsoft.co.uk/home/html/home/diskeeper/disk...
November 20, 2004 1:33:51 AM

Try defrag in safemode and check the timing.
> If you are using the same operating systems and the same defrag utility,
> whether Windows' own or that of a third party, and in both cases there is no
> other software running in the background, the length of time needed for
> defragmentation varies only with the extent of fragmentation.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "ashu" <ashu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a 2 ghz with 1 gig of ram and 70 gig/7200 rpm hard drive. Whenever I
>> try to defrag it takes like 4 hrs for entire process to complete. It
>> doesn't
>> matter if i defrag every day or every month, the process takes the same
>> time.
>> My brother has a computer with about the same configrations and he can
>> defrag in like 30 mins. How can i speed up my defrag process??? Please
>> help!!!
>>
>> Thanks

November 20, 2004 1:40:29 AM

Try this trick--as soon as you start defrag click the start button.

!