Boot Win XP Home too long

Filo

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002

The new computer booted very fast. Now, it executes 600+ mb in Prefetch in a
file named Ntosboot.xxxx in this directory which slows down booting to a
great extent.
Deleting this file results in fast booting the next time. But after a few
minutes the file is written again in the Prefetch directory.
Question : How can I automate a delete file that would delete this file or
all files in the Prefetch dir. before closing down so that the next boot will
always be fast ?

Thanks

Phil

http://www.computerbb.org/about354.html

http://www.swooby.com/z/navpc/ntosboot.cmd.txt

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:31C3690F-D98C-4FC5-8620-0766256AFF51@microsoft.com,
Filo <Filo@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> The new computer booted very fast. Now, it executes 600+ mb in
> Prefetch in a file named Ntosboot.xxxx in this directory which slows
> down booting to a great extent.
> Deleting this file results in fast booting the next time. But after a
> few minutes the file is written again in the Prefetch directory.
> Question : How can I automate a delete file that would delete this
> file or all files in the Prefetch dir. before closing down so that
> the next boot will always be fast ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil

Filo

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> http://www.computerbb.org/about354.html
>
> http://www.swooby.com/z/navpc/ntosboot.cmd.txt
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:31C3690F-D98C-4FC5-8620-0766256AFF51@microsoft.com,
> Filo <Filo@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > The new computer booted very fast. Now, it executes 600+ mb in
> > Prefetch in a file named Ntosboot.xxxx in this directory which slows
> > down booting to a great extent.
> > Deleting this file results in fast booting the next time. But after a
> > few minutes the file is written again in the Prefetch directory.
> > Question : How can I automate a delete file that would delete this
> > file or all files in the Prefetch dir. before closing down so that
> > the next boot will always be fast ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Phil

Thanks a million. Have already seen these through Google. But «gpedit.msc»
is a Win XP Pro command, not found in the Home EDition I'm presently using.
In the meantime I get by from manually deleting the file once a day. It's
very odd. This file rewrites itself only once. If it is deleted in the
morning it will not reappear until the next boot, which in my case would be
the next morning. In fact, only a minor annoyance !

Phil,

I don't honestly know of a way to make the batch file run at shutdown
without the option in Group Policy. And I don't think it would do any good
to try to run it at boot. That's when NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf gets created.
However...

You can still create the batch file and have it run to delete
NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf. It'll save you some steps.

Open Notepad | Paste this in >>>

del c:\windows\prefetch\ntosboot-*.* /q

Click File | Click Save As | Save it as >>>

ntosboot.bat

Save it where ever.

I have a folder that I keep batch files in. I then place shortcuts
elsewhere and use the shortcuts to run the batch files.

By saving ntosboot.bat you can just double click it (or the shortcut) to
delete NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf. You don't have to go through all whatever
steps you're using now to find and delete it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:7CC3CE4C-C0BA-4A6C-A4FE-6C07A5DE177E@microsoft.com,