G

After reading all the notes on AMD systems not starting up, and having the same problem with 3 of my machines, I have come to the conclusion that there is something seriousley wrong with their chipsets. the same thing happens in every case, one day, the computer just will not start up past the memory check, and the screen doesn't come on. Anyone know why this is? I fixed the problem by comletely overhauling the whole computer, inc video card, and processor, but there's nothing wrong with any individual part, as a tries them in other boards and they work fine. Compatability problems maybe, but each one had been working fine for at least sixth months with no mods whatsoever.

Weird huh?

James

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yes, very weird....
sorry i dont have any experience with this chipset, or i would attempt to help you out...
but since you said that there is something wrong with all the machines you have that run on that chipset, i would say try contacting the motherboard manufacturer, or the person who sold you the motherboards, and see what they say..see if they will replace them..or at least test them, and see if there is anything wrong...
the worst they can say is no...and then you would be exactly where you are right now...so not much to lose by seeing what they say...
but i would also see what people here have to say...because some of them might have had experience with these chips, and know something that i dont...
good luck, and dont get too frustrated...(you sound pretty cool headed tho...so that probably isnt a problem ;)

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

thanks mate.

yeah, i fixed two of them in the end with much tweaking and replacing, the mobo's are three different types, Aopen, Jetway, and Abit, with AMD processors K6-500, Tbird 800, and Athlon 1.4GHZ. I'm not so worried about fixing the last one, as it's my 500, and I have a suspicion that my RAM slots got toasted. Just telling everyone else that there not alone!

cheers....James

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
oh..i thought they were all the same configuration....
and what are the chipsets on the motherboards?
i am assuming that they arent amd as well..probably via, or ali, or sis....something along those lines?

-DAvid

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what sort of problems are you talking about?

I have three K6-IIs all on ALi Aladdin, a Duron 600 on KT133 and a Tbird on A7A266, none of them had any problems. There are some problems on low end boards especially if you try to overclock them.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
if they are hanging AFTER the memory check, it would indicate either an ide controller prob, or a hdd/cd problem, since this is the next thing to be checked during post. You mention AMD chipset- im not sure on the Aopen, but the other 2 arnt amd chipset anyway.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

Possibly an IDE problem, but in which case, why does the monitor refuse to come on? I have two HDD's. and even if it was that problem, there would be beeps. The motherboards are AMD compatible, not AMD brand.

Basic chipsets..two have Sis graphics 8 meg AGP, the other has a Geforce 2 mx 200 32mb

HDD are western digital.. first two have 1Gb IDE,
third computer has a 20Gb WD in Primary, and a 3Gb in secondary, both have Logical Block Addressing on.

That was the basic setup. all comps are fitted with 2 x 128Mb Pc133 SDRAM. figure it out

:) James

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, it is a IDE problem. it recently happened to one of my K6-IIs, a 350 on a older Redfox board that dint have ATA/66.

I kinda put in and take off drives day in and day out. It happened one day after backing up, I took off my 8 GB disk and started the machine. It stuck at mem count. Then I plugged the IDE connectors out and put them back in, it worked.

Maybe with constant handling of the connectors that puts a lot of pressure on the motherboard, the board seems to have had some permenant damage.

Make sure you have the hard drives configured or jumpered properly . MASTER or SLAVE if you have more than one drive on a cable. Master on the end and slave in the middle. The longest end of the cable from the center connector connects to the motherboard. If you have only one drive on the cable ,the WD harddrive does not need a jumper ,WD also has a program called Data lifeguard. it has the jumper settings for a lot of harddrives listed on the floppy. You can view this under windows. This can be downloaded from their site.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rick_criswell on 10/26/01 10:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
but he said that it was working fine for months...and then problems arose.
unless there was something that i missed...

-DAvid

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
when the computer stalls at mem check, try auto-detecting the hard disk in BIOS. I am sure it wont. you would need the cable to be reinstalled and wait for a while. i dont know why it happens, perhaps its just ageing. once you do it, it wont fail for a while.

G

Some of you guys have got the wrong end of the stick. The computers do not go past mem count, hence, it is impossible to go into bios as even if I did, it still quick checks the mem anyway...besides, my monitor doesn't come on, and no it's not a monitor prob..as i have 4 and they all do the same thing. IDE problems are a maybe, but in which case, it would be the actual controller that dies, not the cables or drives, as I'm not stupid and would realize if i'd changed a jumper setting that it would be the problem. The systems that went down are at most 2 years old. the Athlon 1.4 is less than 3 weeks...so not an age issue. the problem seems to be the m/board and processor. I'll tell you all when I figure it out.

cheers

james