Very slow download on 3 meg SP service

I am running Windows XP SP2 on my IBM A22p laptop over a
small (two computer) Ethernet LAN connected to a cable
modem (3 meg service.) I have noticed download speeds of
my laptop degrading significantly (<200k). The other
computer on the LAN downloads at great speeds (>2meg). I
connected my laptop directly to the cable modem (bypassing
my router) and seen no improvement. Three days ago I took
my laptop to my son's house, connected to his LAN (cable
modem at 3 meg) and the laptop downloaded at great speed
(> 2 meg.) What can be the problem with my system. It
works great on my son's network but not mine, while the
other computer on my network works great. I have tried two
different ethernet cables connected directly to my cable
modem. They make no difference (still slow download.)
Since my other computer on the LAN downloads rapidly, this
seems to prove my service provider is providing me with
appropriate speed. All download speeds have been checked
using dslreports.com tests, taken at various times during
the day/night. Thanks for the help.

hblair wrote:
> I am running Windows XP SP2 on my IBM A22p laptop over a
> small (two computer) Ethernet LAN connected to a cable
> modem (3 meg service.) I have noticed download speeds of
> my laptop degrading significantly (<200k). The other
> computer on the LAN downloads at great speeds (>2meg). I
> connected my laptop directly to the cable modem (bypassing
> my router) and seen no improvement. Three days ago I took
> my laptop to my son's house, connected to his LAN (cable
> modem at 3 meg) and the laptop downloaded at great speed
> (> 2 meg.) What can be the problem with my system. It
> works great on my son's network but not mine, while the
> other computer on my network works great. I have tried two
> different ethernet cables connected directly to my cable
> modem. They make no difference (still slow download.)
> Since my other computer on the LAN downloads rapidly, this
> seems to prove my service provider is providing me with
> appropriate speed. All download speeds have been checked
> using dslreports.com tests, taken at various times during
> the day/night. Thanks for the help.

parameters with Dr. TCP. Also, when doing the test on the
directly-connected notebook, reboot the modem before testing.

Rebootig both modem and router are the first troubleshooting steps for
diagnosing a connection issue on broadband cable.

You are aware that cable internet is shared? If one computer on the
network is downloading on a 3Mbit/s connection at 2Mb/s, the other
computer has essentially less then 1Mbit/s bandwidth available. If the
first computer is using P2P file sharing, the total bandwidth can be
consummed by the first computer with any significant upload rate. At
2Mb/s download, and say 180Kb/s simultaneous upload, the will be almost
no bandwidth available for the second computer.

"Quaoar" wrote:
> parameters with Dr. TCP. Also, when doing the test on the
> directly-connected notebook, reboot the modem before testing.
>
> Rebootig both modem and router are the first troubleshooting steps for
> diagnosing a connection issue on broadband cable.
>
> You are aware that cable internet is shared? If one computer on the
> network is downloading on a 3Mbit/s connection at 2Mb/s, the other
> computer has essentially less then 1Mbit/s bandwidth available. If the
> first computer is using P2P file sharing, the total bandwidth can be
> consummed by the first computer with any significant upload rate. At
> 2Mb/s download, and say 180Kb/s simultaneous upload, the will be almost
> no bandwidth available for the second computer.

Q:

Thanks for the response. I am not sure how to run the MTU test. I have Dr.
TCP but again, I am not sure what parameters to enter.

Regarding cable internet, I am aware of its shared features. However, my
speed tests are usually run very early in the morning and I also live in a
small community with limited (for now) use of the cable internet. Also, speed
tests on my other computer on the network are run at about the same time
(within 10 minutes) and they are consistently much faster.

Lastly, why would my laptop run so much faster at my son's house?

I believe there is something wrong with the setting on my machine but I
don't have a clue how to test/discover what needs to be done.

Thanks for your help.

simbu

You can use the link http://www.pcwindowstips.com/2007/09/04/how-to-speed-up-internet-explorer-7/ for speed up the internet Tips after speed uped you can check the Broadband or ADSL,DSL Speed check done very fast using the site http://www.ip-details.com/

TRENDING THREADS