XP Pro: Painfully slow shutdown

How slow is it? Try 9.5 minutes! I've taken to powering off. Crude
but effective. Reminds me of wearing out the Apple power switch in
the old days.

Configuration is:
Laptop with Intel P4, 3.06 Ghz
1 GB RAM
60 GB HD, less than half full
Win XP Pro, SP2

The scenario: Select shutdown. Everything closes normally. The HD
light goes on solid, the laptop fans kick up into high speed and then
we wait 9.5 minutes.

I've tried shutting down while logged into my domain account or as a
local admin, the latter without having started any programs. Same
result.

I've looked here http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm No real help.
But, my local group policy has clearing the pagefile on shutdown
enabled. The bad news is that the radio buttons on the property page
are disabled so I can't change it.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks,
- Arnie

Open the Help and Support Center and search for the Startup and Shutdown
Troubleshooter.

For further help:

"Resources to help troubleshoot shutdown problems in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308029
--
Ted Zieglar