Windows Virtual Memory is low....?

Hi all. I'm learning as I go along. I don't know if this question has been
asked, but due to an extremely slow loading issue, I may be "re-asking".
I downloaded a .zip file that I can not remember what the entire file name
was....I never installed it, just downloaded it (last night). Today, my
computer ran so slow, it took 3 to 4 minutes just to get the start menu to
pop up (offline). Online is just as slow. A warning popped up that read,
"Windows Minimum Virtual Memory is low!"......Here's my questions:

1. How do I restore the memory?
2. If I have to get rid of the file, how can I find it if I don't remember
the entire file name or where it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (any advice on what I should NOT do in
the future would be greatly appreciated also, I'm learning as I go along).
Thank you!
:)

"Protect Your PC"
www.microsoft.com/protect

Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
www.lavasoftusa.com

To find a .zip file: Start > Search > In the 'Search for files or folders
named' text box type: *.zip > click on Search Now. You will be shown all
files on your hard disk that end with .zip.

Ted Zieglar

"Ambience" <Ambience@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I'm learning as I go along. I don't know if this question has
> been
> asked, but due to an extremely slow loading issue, I may be "re-asking".
> I downloaded a .zip file that I can not remember what the entire file name
> was....I never installed it, just downloaded it (last night). Today, my
> computer ran so slow, it took 3 to 4 minutes just to get the start menu to
> pop up (offline). Online is just as slow. A warning popped up that read,
> "Windows Minimum Virtual Memory is low!"......Here's my questions:
>
> 1. How do I restore the memory?
> 2. If I have to get rid of the file, how can I find it if I don't
> remember
> the entire file name or where it is?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated (any advice on what I should NOT do
> in
> the future would be greatly appreciated also, I'm learning as I go along).
> Thank you!
> :)

Hi, thanks for responding. I did go to the search, and checked...and found
that there are about 76 .zip files...none of which I recognize. It doesn't
help that I bought my computer from someone else and all their old junk was
left on it.
I do know what I downloaded, but I don't recognize the file. I did download
a PC protector (thanks). I am not sure what to do now to fix it. It still
runs very slow, if I close a window (or try to) it takes about 2 minutes to
close it...(everything freezes up as well). I wonder if this is a result of
that one download (which was background for email) or something else I might
have or didn't do. Any advice? Thank you!

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> "Protect Your PC"
> www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
> www.lavasoftusa.com
>
> To find a .zip file: Start > Search > In the 'Search for files or folders
> named' text box type: *.zip > click on Search Now. You will be shown all
> files on your hard disk that end with .zip.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Ambience" <Ambience@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all. I'm learning as I go along. I don't know if this question has
> > been
> > asked, but due to an extremely slow loading issue, I may be "re-asking".
> > I downloaded a .zip file that I can not remember what the entire file name
> > was....I never installed it, just downloaded it (last night). Today, my
> > computer ran so slow, it took 3 to 4 minutes just to get the start menu to
> > pop up (offline). Online is just as slow. A warning popped up that read,
> > "Windows Minimum Virtual Memory is low!"......Here's my questions:
> >
> > 1. How do I restore the memory?
> > 2. If I have to get rid of the file, how can I find it if I don't
> > remember
> > the entire file name or where it is?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated (any advice on what I should NOT do
> > in
> > the future would be greatly appreciated also, I'm learning as I go along).
> > Thank you!
> > :)

"...I bought my computer from someone else and all their old junk was left
on it. "

I hope you don't buy used cars.

Did this individual included the CDs needed to reinstall all your software?
Because that's exactly what you'll need to do if you are unable to
completely rid your computer of spyware and viruses.

> Hi, thanks for responding. I did go to the search, and checked...and
> found
> that there are about 76 .zip files...none of which I recognize. It
> doesn't
> help that I bought my computer from someone else and all their old junk
> was
> left on it.
> I do know what I downloaded, but I don't recognize the file. I did
> download
> a PC protector (thanks). I am not sure what to do now to fix it. It still
> runs very slow, if I close a window (or try to) it takes about 2 minutes
> close it...(everything freezes up as well). I wonder if this is a result
> of
> that one download (which was background for email) or something else I
> might
> have or didn't do. Any advice? Thank you!
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
>> "Protect Your PC"
>> www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
>> www.lavasoftusa.com
>>
>> To find a .zip file: Start > Search > In the 'Search for files or folders
>> named' text box type: *.zip > click on Search Now. You will be shown all
>> files on your hard disk that end with .zip.
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Ambience" <Ambience@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all. I'm learning as I go along. I don't know if this question has
>> > been
>> > asked, but due to an extremely slow loading issue, I may be
>> > "re-asking".
>> > I downloaded a .zip file that I can not remember what the entire file
>> > name
>> > was....I never installed it, just downloaded it (last night). Today,
>> > my
>> > computer ran so slow, it took 3 to 4 minutes just to get the start menu
>> > pop up (offline). Online is just as slow. A warning popped up that
>> > read,
>> > "Windows Minimum Virtual Memory is low!"......Here's my questions:
>> >
>> > 1. How do I restore the memory?
>> > 2. If I have to get rid of the file, how can I find it if I don't
>> > remember
>> > the entire file name or where it is?
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated (any advice on what I should NOT
>> > do
>> > in
>> > the future would be greatly appreciated also, I'm learning as I go
>> > along).
>> > Thank you!
>> > :)

"...I bought my computer from someone else and all their old junk was left
on it. "

"I hope you don't buy used cars."

.............*face is beet red* *Now knows she may have made a mistake in
buying a used computer* Uh...no....I haven't bought a used car. I didn't
have the money for a brand new computer, so I got this one. And, no....the
previous owner didn't leave any software or anything like that. I've got
Norton AntiVirus program and a spyware program (shreds any spyware detected)
installed. There was only one virus dectected on this computer when I got
it, and the anti-virus program took care of it. As for the way it's
running.....from the time I got it until 2 days ago when I ignorantly
downloaded that one file...it was running great. I don't think it's a virus
or anything like that. And I've gone in and removed and uninstalled the junk
that was left on it (by "junk" I mean, all their old files, games, etc. Not
viruses or anything like that). Thanks for the help though, I really
appreciate it, Ted. :)
It's still running very slow...and I'm going to try to find that file again.
I hope to find it, and I hope it will fix the problem.......I hope.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> "...I bought my computer from someone else and all their old junk was left
> on it. "
>
> I hope you don't buy used cars.
>
> Did this individual included the CDs needed to reinstall all your software?
> Because that's exactly what you'll need to do if you are unable to
> completely rid your computer of spyware and viruses.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Ambience" <Ambience@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, thanks for responding. I did go to the search, and checked...and
> > found
> > that there are about 76 .zip files...none of which I recognize. It
> > doesn't
> > help that I bought my computer from someone else and all their old junk
> > was
> > left on it.
> > I do know what I downloaded, but I don't recognize the file. I did
> > download
> > a PC protector (thanks). I am not sure what to do now to fix it. It still
> > runs very slow, if I close a window (or try to) it takes about 2 minutes
> > close it...(everything freezes up as well). I wonder if this is a result
> > of
> > that one download (which was background for email) or something else I
> > might
> > have or didn't do. Any advice? Thank you!
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
> >
> >> "Protect Your PC"
> >> www.microsoft.com/protect
> >>
> >> Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
> >> www.lavasoftusa.com
> >>
> >> To find a .zip file: Start > Search > In the 'Search for files or folders
> >> named' text box type: *.zip > click on Search Now. You will be shown all
> >> files on your hard disk that end with .zip.
> >>
> >> Ted Zieglar
> >>
> >> "Ambience" <Ambience@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I tried going into the control panel and changing the paging file (virtual
memory). I didn't really know how much to change...I changed it just a little
bit (a bit higher). I didn't want to mess anything up. It stll ran
slow...still is a bit slow...hopefully I did something good. *hopefully*
Thanks for all your advice, Ted. :)