Could this run Team Fortress 2 smoothly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

royced

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Click Here

I found this nice laptop on best buy, and I love everything but the graphic card. I intend to buy a much better one once I buy this one, but I was curious if this alone could run TF2 on High, smoothly.

I would also like to know how well would this run skyrim on the lowest setting? Thanks. I made a thread like this earlier but it sort of died and I feel that bumping threads is disrespectful.

Solution
That laptop will run TF2 with the integrated graphics, but I'm not too sure about getting smooth performance on high settings with the intel HD 3000. Skyrim will probably just barely run at absolute best, don't expect great performance. Note with laptops you generally cannot upgrade the graphics on them, as the GPUs are usually soldered to the motherboard; you are stuck with what you buy. There are a few laptops with upgradeable graphics, but they are the really high end ones in the $1500 and up price bracket.

If you intend to game on a laptop you are going to have to look for something with better built in graphics from AMD or nvidia. The cheapest ones would probably have AMD's Llano APU, which would do okay in TF2. Most laptops that...
That laptop will run TF2 with the integrated graphics, but I'm not too sure about getting smooth performance on high settings with the intel HD 3000. Skyrim will probably just barely run at absolute best, don't expect great performance. Note with laptops you generally cannot upgrade the graphics on them, as the GPUs are usually soldered to the motherboard; you are stuck with what you buy. There are a few laptops with upgradeable graphics, but they are the really high end ones in the $1500 and up price bracket.

If you intend to game on a laptop you are going to have to look for something with better built in graphics from AMD or nvidia. The cheapest ones would probably have AMD's Llano APU, which would do okay in TF2. Most laptops that can provide decent gaming performance are closer to $1000.

Solution

royced

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

Best answer, thank you so much. The reason I picked that one out is because I saw a youtube video about a man opening it up to get a new graphical card replacement . I also can't aford 1000, or anywhere near as much, so do you recommend a new laptop for 400-500 if possible?

For $400-500 there aren't a lot of great options for gaming, most laptops in that price range have intel's integrated graphics, which are horrible for gaming. You might be able to find one with a Llano APU in that price range if it is on sale. You might want to wait a bit and see if any Llano laptops show up in a Black Friday sale or something like that. That would be the best you could get in that price range, most laptops that have decent discrete GPUs are close to or above the $1000 mark. Really if you don't have a lot of money to burn it is best to look at a desktop for your gaming needs. Something that could run Skyrim and TF2 reasonably well could be built for around $500 (not including price of Windows license)

Status
Not open for further replies.