Backing up all my files on laptop

I wanted to back up all my files on the laptop before downlading or accepting
Windos updates, i.e. SP2 for XP

Every attempt to do this to my new CD is met with a resistance to using the
suggested names made by system, i.e. 'Eds Back Up Files'; besides this, it
shews drive A, but I have no disk big enough to hold all my system files in a
floppy; does it need to save all the files or just the boot files from system?
--
EJM
8 answers Last reply

    Thanks Bob; but this xp is a Gateway600 Series which cost me over three
    thousand dollars; and I am beginning to wonder whether all Microsoft isn't a
    rip off; why did they say it is a re-writable, when it cannot copy to CD? I
    still don't grab that!

    maynardes

    "maynardes" wrote:

    > I wanted to back up all my files on the laptop before downlading or accepting
    > Windos updates, i.e. SP2 for XP
    >
    > Every attempt to do this to my new CD is met with a resistance to using the
    > suggested names made by system, i.e. 'Eds Back Up Files'; besides this, it
    > shews drive A, but I have no disk big enough to hold all my system files in a
    > floppy; does it need to save all the files or just the boot files from system?
    > --
    > EJM

    If you are using the Ntbackup.exe, which came with XP, it does not support
    direct writing to CDs. It is "free" with XP, so you get what you paid for,
    sort of. It can write to any internal disk partition, or to older
    removeable media like floppy or ZIP. However, both of those are really too
    small to be practical for XP. It may be able to write to a network drive,
    but few home users have those.

    If you are serious about backup, get a good third-party software, such as
    Norton GHOST or Acronis True Image. I prefer True Image (version 8), since
    it has better support for external USB hard drives than my version of GHOST
    (2003). But, there is a newer GHOST (version 9), and maybe it has imporved.
    There are also several other progams out there that are similar.

    Anyway, either of these programs can write to CDs and maybe even some DVDs.
    However, for the fastest backup I suggest you get an external USB 2.0 disk.
    If you want to occassionaly transfer an image to CDs or DVDs, be aware that
    both these progams can write images in user-controlled slices. Both can
    also recover single files and/or directory trees, as well as restoring the
    whole disk.

    maynardes wrote:
    > Thanks Bob; but this xp is a Gateway600 Series which cost me over three
    > thousand dollars; and I am beginning to wonder whether all Microsoft isn't a
    > rip off; why did they say it is a re-writable, when it cannot copy to CD? I
    > still don't grab that!
    >
    > maynardes
    >
    > "maynardes" wrote:
    >

    >>I wanted to back up all my files on the laptop before downlading or accepting
    >>Windos updates, i.e. SP2 for XP
    >>
    >>Every attempt to do this to my new CD is met with a resistance to using the
    >>suggested names made by system, i.e. 'Eds Back Up Files'; besides this, it
    >>shews drive A, but I have no disk big enough to hold all my system files in a
    >>floppy; does it need to save all the files or just the boot files from system?
    >>--
    >>EJM

    This post and the original one indicate that you have no clue what
    you're trying to do, or what your system is capable of. One wonders
    where you got $3000 for a computer to begin with. Bob's response was
    correct in every respect; if you want to use NTbackup you're going to
    have to backup to your HD first and then copy to optical media. But what
    you're trying to do--backup everything prior to installing updates--will
    be better done, as Bob said, with imaging software.

    Newbie or not, the man has a point. With all the additions to windows, and
    all the ensuing complications, not to mention the size and complexity, It's
    almost criminal to not have an easily understood way to back up a system
    included with windows. As I understand it, there is such a utility, (sort
    of) that is mainly intended to transfer the software to another PC. Never
    having used it, I cannot say how well it works or what the pitfalls might
    be.

    "Phil McCracken" <Phil@dontspam.com> wrote in message
    > maynardes wrote:
    >> Thanks Bob; but this xp is a Gateway600 Series which cost me over three
    >> thousand dollars; and I am beginning to wonder whether all Microsoft
    >> isn't a rip off; why did they say it is a re-writable, when it cannot
    >> copy to CD? I still don't grab that!
    >>
    >> maynardes
    >>
    >> "maynardes" wrote:
    >>

    >>>I wanted to back up all my files on the laptop before downlading or
    >>>accepting Windos updates, i.e. SP2 for XP
    >>>
    >>>Every attempt to do this to my new CD is met with a resistance to using
    >>>the suggested names made by system, i.e. 'Eds Back Up Files'; besides
    >>>this, it shews drive A, but I have no disk big enough to hold all my
    >>>system files in a floppy; does it need to save all the files or just the
    >>>boot files from system?
    >>>--
    >>>EJM
    >
    > This post and the original one indicate that you have no clue what you're
    > trying to do, or what your system is capable of. One wonders where you got
    > $3000 for a computer to begin with. Bob's response was correct in every
    > respect; if you want to use NTbackup you're going to have to backup to
    > your HD first and then copy to optical media. But what you're trying to
    > do--backup everything prior to installing updates--will be better done, as
    > Bob said, with imaging software.

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

    Thanks Chuck; I have no need to prove my words on this network; if anybody
    doubts my ownership of a Gateway 600 Series purchased precisely by a Spanish
    prayer group as a gift when I graduated from CEI in Software education; I was
    not boasting to anyone that I am an expert; Gateway took my money and then
    tried to get me to buy instructions how to use the monster. So far, its good
    to know it is possible; Chuck, I will keep searching elsewhere until I
    satisfy my own need to do back up before accepting XP2 Updates for which
    NOBODY at Windows has done a clear sense of why i need it...maynardes

    "Chuck" wrote:

    > Newbie or not, the man has a point. With all the additions to windows, and
    > all the ensuing complications, not to mention the size and complexity, It's
    > almost criminal to not have an easily understood way to back up a system
    > included with windows. As I understand it, there is such a utility, (sort
    > of) that is mainly intended to transfer the software to another PC. Never
    > having used it, I cannot say how well it works or what the pitfalls might
    > be.
    >
    > "Phil McCracken" <Phil@dontspam.com> wrote in message
    > > maynardes wrote:
    > >> Thanks Bob; but this xp is a Gateway600 Series which cost me over three
    > >> thousand dollars; and I am beginning to wonder whether all Microsoft
    > >> isn't a rip off; why did they say it is a re-writable, when it cannot
    > >> copy to CD? I still don't grab that!
    > >>
    > >> maynardes

    > > This post and the original one indicate that you have no clue what you're
    > > trying to do, or what your system is capable of. One wonders where you got
    > > $3000 for a computer to begin with. Bob's response was correct in every
    > > respect; if you want to use NTbackup you're going to have to backup to
    > > your HD first and then copy to optical media. But what you're trying to
    > > do--backup everything prior to installing updates--will be better done, as
    > > Bob said, with imaging software.
    >

    > ---
    > Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

    I promise to read up on this imaging software prior to even using anything
    else; I forgot to mention I also got an extra 40 gigas hard drive that came
    with my monster, but I have never installed it since I got it and if the main
    computer has not worked since it stopped and had to be rebooted with technial
    assistance, I do not want to use that clean hard drive, although I think that
    might be big enough to hold system disks as a back up; but I do not know how
    to take out one of the other compartments like the A floppy section , and try
    to use for the first time that 40 gigas extra hard disk i have that ame with
    system a year ago.

    maynardes

    "Chuck" wrote:

    > Newbie or not, the man has a point. With all the additions to windows, and
    > all the ensuing complications, not to mention the size and complexity, It's
    > almost criminal to not have an easily understood way to back up a system
    > included with windows. As I understand it, there is such a utility, (sort
    > of) that is mainly intended to transfer the software to another PC. Never
    > having used it, I cannot say how well it works or what the pitfalls might
    > be.
    >
    > "Phil McCracken" <Phil@dontspam.com> wrote in message
    > > maynardes wrote:
    > >> Thanks Bob; but this xp is a Gateway600 Series which cost me over three
    > >> thousand dollars; and I am beginning to wonder whether all Microsoft
    > >> isn't a rip off; why did they say it is a re-writable, when it cannot
    > >> copy to CD? I still don't grab that!
    > >>
    > >> maynardes

    > > This post and the original one indicate that you have no clue what you're
    > > trying to do, or what your system is capable of. One wonders where you got
    > > $3000 for a computer to begin with. Bob's response was correct in every
    > > respect; if you want to use NTbackup you're going to have to backup to
    > > your HD first and then copy to optical media. But what you're trying to
    > > do--backup everything prior to installing updates--will be better done, as
    > > Bob said, with imaging software.
    >

    > ---
    > Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

    Disagree.

    Somebody else might say "With the universal acceptance of CD and DVD
    recording it's "almost criminal" for Microsoft not to include comprehensive
    burning software in Windows. Or a fully featured firewall. Or anti-spam
    software. Didn't Microsoft get into enough trouble by bundling a browser?

    Ted Zieglar

    "Chuck" <nospm@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Newbie or not, the man has a point. With all the additions to windows, and
    > all the ensuing complications, not to mention the size and complexity,
    > It's almost criminal to not have an easily understood way to back up a
    > system included with windows. As I understand it, there is such a
    > utility, (sort of) that is mainly intended to transfer the software to
    > another PC. Never having used it, I cannot say how well it works or what
    > the pitfalls might be.
    >
    > "Phil McCracken" <Phil@dontspam.com> wrote in message
    >> maynardes wrote:
    >>> Thanks Bob; but this xp is a Gateway600 Series which cost me over three
    >>> thousand dollars; and I am beginning to wonder whether all Microsoft
    >>> isn't a rip off; why did they say it is a re-writable, when it cannot
    >>> copy to CD? I still don't grab that!
    >>>
    >>> maynardes

    >> This post and the original one indicate that you have no clue what you're
    >> trying to do, or what your system is capable of. One wonders where you
    >> got $3000 for a computer to begin with. Bob's response was correct in
    >> every respect; if you want to use NTbackup you're going to have to backup
    >> to your HD first and then copy to optical media. But what you're trying
    >> to do--backup everything prior to installing updates--will be better
    >> done, as Bob said, with imaging software.
    >

    > ---
    > Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

    Ted,

    I have wondered about that myself; Microsoft seems to be using subtle ways
    to prepare folks for their service side OS whihc I have read about; it took
    me half a year to discover, that all the Office Software I had orderd (ten)
    were really on the computer, but I wanted to open each one of the ten
    software instead of just a new page and let XP decide which one to bring up;
    I learned slowly by myself; now I know. But Backup? Unfortunately, since the
    system worked for an entire year and I trusted my laptop so much, I failed to
    learn backup with the new system bought for me. In School, I did it a lot; in
    real life, I failed on that point.

    thanks anyhow everybody,
    maynardes

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP