Privateer 2, old game for win-95

Kari

Splendid
So I found my original CD's of this game, Privateer 2 - The Darkening, from the year 1996. It's the windows95 version of the spaceflight/trading/sim and I just thought to give it a go on win7 to see if it would work.

And it does, hurray! sort of... The installation was a bit bumby, had to manually create the folder before running the install, but other than that it went smooth. (Obviously had to use win95 compatibility mode with all the extras ticked as well.) The game starts up fine, the movies play nicely, but the actuall flying and dogfighting in space happens so fast it's unplayable.

So the question is, how do I slow it down?
Do you think dosbox could help? This is the windows version of the game, so I wonder if it would work on dosbox...
Are there any other methods? Like ones that would work playing straight from win7?

edit Bonus question: if someone could point me to a website that has listed all the controls for this game, that would be sweet too. There doesn't seem to be any info about controls on the cd's or in the game itself. :D
edit 2 found them manuals and controlls from here http://www.wcnews.com/manuals.shtml so that's taken care of.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
You need to find some way to limit the frames per second of the game, because its such an old game you will be getting stupidly high frames per second which is causing everthing to move so fast.

On some older games the higher the FPS the faster things in the game will move. GTA 1 & 2 are some examples. I had the same problem on both these games.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I was only giving you a nudge in the right direction.

It will be a lot harder on privateer I would imagine because GTA has been updated to work on newer operating systems so it has a limit FPS option, like I said you need to find a way of limiting the FPS of the game some how, modifying the game file some how for example.