searching for a good motherboard

G

Which motherboard is the best value for the AMD XP's and for the P4's. I want to build a custom desktop to do audio editing with some video and lots of web design. Any articles that discuss and compare these motherboards would be helpful. I'm will be using a high end CPU based on the motherboard, AMD XP 1800 or P4 1.9

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey M,
Why don't you just ask what would be the best high end system to do web design, audio editing and video editing? Have you seen the way the lines are drawn on this Board? Do you know that most of the Post'ers are either Pro Intel/Anti AMD or Pro AMD/Anti Intel? To get the best advice on this board, first decide on your own, which CPU type system you are going to build, then ask for advice on mobos. For most things "High-End", "Value" does not come into the picture. Also your idea of "Value" will most likely not be shared with everyone else........do you have a $ limit on how much you want to spend? If you choose to throw in "Value" & "High End", to me you are chosing a AMD system. The truth is, both systems are good and the future is uncertain for the upgradability for both systems. Check pricewatch.com and decide if, P4's are worth the price diff? Good Luck!
Peace Out...........tile
P.S. I idea of a High End Value System: Athlon XP 1800+ , Shuttle AK31 version 3, 4 256mb modules of OCZ PC2400 DDR(1 gig of DDR in 4 slots), PNY Geforce 3 Ti 200 video card, Powermax 500 watt P/S.

Keep Hope Alive!

FatBurger

Illustrious
In my opinion, the ONLY P4 board right now is the Abit TH7-II. Awesome features (unless you're looking for onboard video), and the stability of Abit. If you end up getting that, you'll find out why us Abit owners are so obsessed with these boards. Kind of like us Subaru drivers :-Þ

The extremely good value on the AMD side of the fence is the ECS K7S5A. Not many BIOS features (no overclocking, even), but only $60 and stable as hell. Supposedly there is/is going to be a BIOS update to give more tweaking, but I haven't heard the details of that yet.

More expensive that that, you start getting into unproven KT266a boards (MSI, Gigabyte for sale). Otherwise, you have AMD 761 boards (KG7), or Ali Magik 1 boards (A7A266).

All of these boards are highly recommended for different reasons. The KT266a is unproven, but I've never seen a product that didn't have at least ONE fan, and that one fan may be you :)

If you need any info, reply in the thread and I'll be back to answer it soon. Or you can PM/email me, lots of other people do.

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey FatBurger,
When did you get: "Bandwidth Hog" status? Is this the highest you can go, or is there something higher still....like maybe "Lord god king of all Posters"? Cool title anyway and great post!
Peace Out............tile

Keep Hope Alive!

G

Will the next generation of AMD's i.e. the Hammer be built so you can just pull out the old and replace with the new?

Just speculating :)

:smile: <font color=blue>In the mean time I'm busy reading articles. 10 windows open and counting - I like comparing notes.</font color=blue> :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's a custom title, not one reachable by posts. Crash, wusy and possibly Grizely1 are ahead of me in posts. Grizely1 is the only other person who has a custom title. Only me, Fredi and Tom (that have posted on here) have colored names. Fredi and Tom have red names.

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

<A HREF="http://www.asus.com/Products/Motherboard/ddr266/a7v266-e/index.html" target="_new"> a7v266-e </A> Im going to throw my chips in with this new asus board featuring the new VIA chipset .. AGP Pro and .. nice specs + oc options.. best looking board with that chipset Ive seen .. unfortunately its like $170 .. but .. it looks like it has the potential to be really really good .. Especially for Multi media .. throw a XP 1800 in there a SB Audigy platinum ex and a a GF3 Ti-500 and you will be smoking the tires in no time.

Just those components should run about $1000 Im looking at about $1500 system if I get a 60gb maxtor drive, a viewsonic .22 19" and a new DVD drive .. I already have everything else I need in spare parts kicking around ..

I am a goober.. with just enough knowledge to be dangerous .. .. will you hold this for a sec?

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I got tired of waiting for the asus and just bought the MSI K7T266 Pro2 based on what I have heard about it. Have yet to try it though.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey M,
I believe I read somewhere, that the "Hammers" are going to need a new chipset(also supporting 8x AGP and PC2700 DDR), so no, I don't think you will be able to switch out a Athlon CPU and plug in a "Hammer" CPU, you are going to have to replace the mobo.
Peace Out.........tile

Keep Hope Alive!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
FatBurger, seriously, how did you get it? Did Fredi suddenly decide that you are posting too much per day and award you the Bandwidth Hog title?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor