Sign in with
Your question

SIS K7S5A Booting Problem...Please Help!

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2001 11:22:14 PM

OK...Two Weeks ago i upgraded from a Asus a7v266a to the ECS K7S5A. The First day or two it worked great but then the porblem...its locks up almost anytime im playing a game for more then 20-30 minutes and will lock up even when not in a game sometimes. Also the booting...I will turn it on and eveyrthing lights up and the fans go but it wont boot...I have to turn it on and off a bunch of times and then finally one random time it will boot up. I didnt have an AMD recommended power supply so i thought that was the problem so i bought a reccomended ADM psu 350watt and still the same prbolems...Not totally sure if its the board...the last couple weeks when i had my asus a7v it had a few booting problems simular to this but never locked up. Could this be a CPU prob? Also the instalation disk wont work with my os...its says that it doesnt support win2k and i went to sis and ecs website for chipset drivers but there are not any there...should i have drivers for it? My Componets...SB Live x-gamer sound card, win tv pci, geforce 3 agp, linksys lan, 40 gig 7200rpm maxtor hdd, creativr cd-rom, sony cd-rw, t-bird 900 cpu...any thoughts on my problems would help me out a ton. Im Lost. Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2001 12:24:45 AM

Heat?

Back to you Tom...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2001 6:05:38 AM

I just bought a new heatsink...With the old one after about 30 minutes of gamming it was around 120-125 with the new on its about 110-115
Related resources
October 27, 2001 6:50:59 AM

Might be the board...the K7S is known to have a high defective percentage rate.

Quick question....did you transfer over any hard drives without reformatting and such?

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2001 7:16:36 AM

OK, not too bad at all, please use metric in here as it's an international forum, and you could seriously freek someone out!

Back to you Tom...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2001 7:20:19 AM

What is your BIOS version??.......you need to have the latest to correct an issue with corrupting floppies under Win2K/XP/NT4....maybe this is why you can't use your boot disk.

<font color=blue> K7S5A. </font color=blue> 1.2T'Bird O'Cd to <font color=red> 1.35Ghz </font color=red> 128Mb DDR. WinNT4 ......No Problems!
October 27, 2001 10:23:55 AM

trying to boot up has nothing to do with trying to access a floppy in w2k. otherwise i would have never been able to update the bios. and i had a problem with the k7s5a and cold boots, thing would restart 3x before it would get to windows. thought it was a psu problem, nope not that. well now i'm on a ga-7vtxp and the thing will actually make it to windows without resetting 3x. isn't technology something!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2001 5:37:45 PM

I know i need to update the bios and thats what i was trying to do last night but i have not been able to get the thing to boot now for a day...everything just turns on and it sits there...no activity. What could it be? It did a simular thing to a less degree on my last board so thats why im thinking it could be the cpu?
October 27, 2001 10:11:24 PM

my k7s5a did that when i tried to overclock the fsb to 266 on my 200fsb athlon...
it just turned on, the hard drive spun up, and the computer sat there..
so i reset the bios, and all was well..
try that.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
!