Need help badly

G

Right i hav a major problem with my computer but i dont know whether it is my motherboard or my hard disks. Th e problem is that whenever i try to install a fairly big program it gets half way through the installation then it resets itself (at this point it aint anywhere near finishing the installation) then whenever a be running programs they always perform illegal operations, i cant even upgrade my computer to xp because it crashes half way through the installation, does anyone know what the problem is with my machine and how to get rid of it because it really is annoying wen u cant do anything with it.

Jetway 663as
AMD Duron 850
Windows 98 SE
256 MB RAM
3dfx Voodoo 3 3000

thanx

If you are trying to install with the motherboard set at the default settings, your problem could be the power supply. I use only a sparkle 235 watt ps for my athlon 1.2, which is currently running at 1360. Last time I checked, the Logical Source had a sparkle 250 watt ps for only $8.45 plus shipping. Sparkle makes very good ps, and mine keeps my case 4-6 degrees cooler than some other cheaper ones. Otherwise, if you have the money, get an enermax 350-400 watt ps. Highly recommended by many in this forum.

G

thanx ill try that, what if it isnt the powers upply what do i do then.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
It sounds like a PS issue, if this doesn't solve your problem, it might be HD related, have you run scandisk and disk defrag lattly?

If it works for you then don't fix it.