  • LG
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
December 9, 2004 5:41:59 PM

Any opinions between these two?
Any notable feature differences between the pair?

Thanks for your advice,
Mark

More about : vx6100 audiovox 8910

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 9:15:10 PM

I can only answer for LG 6100. My friend just got two of them. LG makes
a great cell phone, the 6100 is no exception. I have the Samsung 670
model, that's a pretty good phone too.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:31:41 PM

Hi Mark,

I just upgraded my phone from a Moto T720. I tried the 8910 for 24
hours and returned it for a 6100. Before I go into the details of both
phones, I will say that nothing was wrong with the 8910 while I had it.
I returned it because I found out that it didn't have analog mode.
Here's a quick comparison of experience I had with both of those
phones.

8910:
I got this originally because all my researchs showed that this phone
had great battery life. When Verizon gave me the phone, the bat
already had two bars. I didn't charge it. After playing with it for
serveral hours and making some calls (about 30 minutes of total talk
time), I left the phone on over night. The battery still had two bars
when I returned the phone to Verizon. Pretty amazing comparing to the
Moto720. The sound quality was good. And the phone was very
comfortable to hold.

Pro: Battery life, easy to hold
Con: Digital only. Menu navigation was not that stright-forward
compared to VX6100.

6100:
I exchanged the 8910 for this one because of its trimode and speaker
phone features. I had the phone for about a week now. I am very happy
with it. The only complains I have so far is the phone is very
slippery to handle. This is very noticible when you compare with the
8910.

Pro:
trimode, speaker phone, true voice name dial (no need to record or
train), voice digit dial (I felt like the commander in star trek when I
used this feature for the first time :) , front display even with camera
preview, camera lens cover.

Con:
* slippery to hold, battery life wasn't too good (maybe because I
couldn't stop playing with it)
* This one bothered me the most. There is no one touch support when
using my hands free headset (it worked on my Moto720). To answer an
incoming call on headset, instead of hitting the one touch button on
the headset, I have to flip the phone open. Kind of defeats the
purpose of the headset. I tried all the different features on the
phone such as driving mode and voice altert. none help with that.

Overall, I am more happy with the VX6100.

Mark P wrote:
> Any opinions between these two?
> Any notable feature differences between the pair?
>
> Thanks for your advice,
> Mark
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:45:30 PM

mensoy@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I just upgraded my phone from a Moto T720. I tried the 8910 for 24
> hours and returned it for a 6100. Before I go into the details of both
> phones, I will say that nothing was wrong with the 8910 while I had it.
> I returned it because I found out that it didn't have analog mode.
> Here's a quick comparison of experience I had with both of those
> phones.
>
> 8910:
> I got this originally because all my researchs showed that this phone
> had great battery life. When Verizon gave me the phone, the bat
> already had two bars. I didn't charge it. After playing with it for
> serveral hours and making some calls (about 30 minutes of total talk
> time), I left the phone on over night. The battery still had two bars
> when I returned the phone to Verizon. Pretty amazing comparing to the
> Moto720. The sound quality was good. And the phone was very
> comfortable to hold.
>
> Pro: Battery life, easy to hold
> Con: Digital only. Menu navigation was not that stright-forward
> compared to VX6100.
>

> 6100:
> I exchanged the 8910 for this one because of its trimode and speaker
> phone features. I had the phone for about a week now. I am very happy
> with it. The only complains I have so far is the phone is very
> slippery to handle. This is very noticible when you compare with the
> 8910.
>
> Pro:
> trimode, speaker phone, true voice name dial (no need to record or
> train), voice digit dial (I felt like the commander in star trek when I
> used this feature for the first time :) , front display even with camera
> preview, camera lens cover.
>
> Con:
> * slippery to hold, battery life wasn't too good (maybe because I
> couldn't stop playing with it)
> * This one bothered me the most. There is no one touch support when
> using my hands free headset (it worked on my Moto720). To answer an
> incoming call on headset, instead of hitting the one touch button on
> the headset, I have to flip the phone open. Kind of defeats the
> purpose of the headset. I tried all the different features on the
> phone such as driving mode and voice altert. none help with that.
>
> Overall, I am more happy with the VX6100.

Appreciate the commentary. I went ahead and got a pair of VX6100s for
myself and my gf. I've only had the phone for 3 days (my old phone was
an ancient Qualcomm 3035 which was nonetheless quite well designed and
very good for its time). Mostly I'm very happy with it for many of the
reasons you mentioned. I have a few objections and concerns so far:

1. My gf keeps the phone jammed in her purse and the external buttons
can be easily depressed by other objects. I'm worried she'll
accidentally drain the battery by unwittingly activating the backlight
for long periods of time.

2. I don't see any clear way to disable roaming. I don't even know if
there's a warning if you roam besides the rather easy to overlook little
triangle icon. A banner warning would be nice-- do you know if there is
such a thing?

3. I've just started using the hands free features. If there's no way
to answer the phone hands free without opening it, that's not very user
friendly. Are you sure that none of the external buttons will answer
the phone?

4. I've found the documentation to be a little bit lacking. The manual
is large and covers every possible menu item, but doesn't explain what
many of them *do*. I still haven't figured out exactly what's meant by
"driving mode" for example.

-Mark

!